Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Factory Trailer brake

My wife and I installed a factory trailer brake system on the Dodge Ram we bought to pull the RV. My wife was there to place band-aids on my cuts !
I do not have a finger with out a cut! Now, first thing Thurs morning, going to the Dodge dealer to have the system configured, my cost was 190 on the unit and the loss of 1 qt of blood!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

I just had the factory brake controller installed on my ram 1500 knowing that I'm getting a TT soon , I had the dealer do since they also have to reprogram the dash computer so you can see all the break functions , 2 hour's labor plus the controller

mike
mikebrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

My wife and i did the install, took the truck to the dealer to get it set up, cost $ 120.00 and no labor... my wife did have me grill ! the system works great its st on light towing at 40 works great ...
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
Old 10-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #4

Why did you go thru this when there are several good controllers available as add ons. Had one I purchased at Walmart several years ago and added the same one on my o8 Silverado. My 2500 HD came with an intigrated controller but I can't say it is any more effective than the $100 I used on my previous towvehicles.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

I also have one that i had used for years, it just was not compatible with the electronics, for what i spent it works great,i didn't pay labor for the install ,just the flashing of the PCM . i use to work at the dealer i bought the truck from,sold me the part at cost,cant beat that ....
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
I also have one that i had used for years, it just was not compatible with the electronics, for what i spent it works great,i didn't pay labor for the install ,just the flashing of the PCM . i use to work at the dealer i bought the truck from,sold me the part at cost,cant beat that ....
Good answer but still a lot of work to end up in no better place w/ the brakes. On my Silverado, when the TT is plugged in, the dash info is over ridden with the TT brake load. I cann't see the compass or the temp that usually appears in the same screen. It also blocks the trip milage. I can make do with the gps but really don't understand why they would set it up that way.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

When my FW is first plugged in, only the information on the trailer brake is visible. In order to see all the other info on the console dealy, I just push the button that cycles through the various information and it shows up.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Good answer but still a lot of work to end up in no better place w/ the brakes. On my Silverado, when the TT is plugged in, the dash info is over ridden with the TT brake load. I cann't see the compass or the temp that usually appears in the same screen. It also blocks the trip milage. I can make do with the gps but really don't understand why they would set it up that way.

What year is your Silverado...

I have 2011 Sierra SLT with the integrated brake controller, it also shows the info, but if you click on the computer buttons you can toggle between the views, so you guess the compass and all other info.

If you adjust the brake force, it will put it back (and will stay) on the brake screen, but just need to push a button to get it back into regular mode.
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #9

You can change the settings on the dash read out, ours is very easy to navigate through the settings, its all on the steering wheel, not a problem at all.
Might check out your owners manual ...
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
When my FW is first plugged in, only the information on the trailer brake is visible. In order to see all the other info on the console dealy, I just push the button that cycles through the various information and it shows up.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Don't really need to see the brake gain as the brakes are pushed.