Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #1

Question LP System Regulator Malfunction

I have a double cylinder on the A-frame set up on my TT and it seems that the regulator is malfunctioning. Here's the scenario--on 11/11 I removed the right cylinder since the regulator indicated that it was empty (and the furnace ceased to provide heat :-). I took the cylinder in the refill. Got 7.2 gallons of LP, brought the cylinder back, re-connected it and to my dismay the regulator glowed orangish red instead of the expected green. I tested it out to see if it would indicate that it was full like the left cylinder was. Yesterday, 11/14, the left cylinder indicated that it was empty (using the furnace regularly to keep a guest warm). So, I turned the regulator dial to the right cylinder and saw that it still indicated orange-red when I know that cylinder is full! Took the left one in to re-fill (7 gallons), hooked it back up and am using that one because I can't tell if the right side is working due to the regulator reading. Any thoughts? Do I need to get an LP person out here to check out the regulator/cylinder/valve system?
cjthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

I haven't had any regulator issues but I have seen where things get wonky when you turn on the gas in the cylinder quickly. Try turning it off and slowly turning it back on. There is some sort of safety built into the tank that seems to get activated if you turn the valve on too quickly.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #3

There is a safety feature built into the regulator. If It senses a large flow of LP it will lock up causing the flow of LP to your appliances to stop. This is in case a hose ruptures down stream. Also I have heard of pigtails from the tank to the regulator failing. I would try shutting off both tanks, relieving the pressure downstream from the regulator by turning on the stovetop for a second or so, then try what quahog suggested. Turn the tank valve on real slow. That may solve your issue. If not, and you are handy, just start from the full tank on the right side and work from there until you can verify what is restricting flow from that side.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #4

Slow turning of valve worked!

Thanks for the suggestion to turn on the gas very slowly. I went out, shut the valve to the right cylinder, opened that valve very slowly, moved the regulator arm to the right cylinder and it showed green! What an easy solution! That is the beauty of these forums. You people are a great resource! Grateful is what I am!
cjthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Site Team

I have a similar problem with mine.
It works fine - transfers when empty but the indicator on the regulator is stuck on red. I have been ignoring it and just weighing the tank to see when it is empty or close. I'll likely have to replace it one day.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have a similar problem with mine.
It works fine - transfers when empty but the indicator on the regulator is stuck on red. I have been ignoring it and just weighing the tank to see when it is empty or close. I'll likely have to replace it one day.
That is the same thing that happens with my dual tank and the automatic switchover.
I was told that once the indicator shows red it will switch to the other tank and show red so you know the tank that was originally being used is empty.
I also was told that once you switch the regulator dial to point to the full tank the indicator should show green as long as the tank is near full.
After running out of propane in both tanks once I decided to only keep one tank open and when that one runs out, even in the middle of the night, I simply open the other tank and get the empty tank filled.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote