Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #1

Floor Question

Hello Folks - I have a 2009 Jayco 226 (light weight) trailer and unfortunately have incurred damage to the floor (3 X 6 and 2 X 4 areas) from a water leak. Once I have found and sealed the leak I would then like to cover the damaged floor with 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood and new linoleum or carpet, henceforth creating a new floor. Is this something you would advise against? Are there any pros and cons to this method? I have read a lot of articles concerning floor repair but they are very involved projects and I am very limited with time due to long commutes and family commitments. Thanks in advance for any comments received - GB
Xavblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #2

When Jayco builds these trailers, the entire floor gets covered in one big piece of laminate/vinyl or whatever it is. Then all the walls and cabinets and everything get put on top of that. It's a 1 piece floor.

Other members here have replaced their flooring by laying new stuff on top of the old stuff, and just cutting it to the right size to fit around the floorplan shape. You can then use some quarter round or other trim to hide the edges where they meet the walls/cabinets etc.

If you are planning on cutting out pieces of the plywood flooring and repairing, you would need to access the underside of the trailer by dropping tanks, cutting the belly, removing insulation, and making your patch somehow. It would be quite a process.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

I think you would need to get everything dry before you consider a method of repair. This would require you to dry it out underneath and on top of the old floor.
Mold is a real issue when repairing water damage and you do not want to cover anything until it's bone dry.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Your method of covering the entire floor with plywood then linoleum may actually be one of your only EASY choices if that is a Jayfeather with the luan and foam sandwich floor system, and I suspect it is. Those floors can get soft and the supports underneath are not close together like in more traditional floors with plywood and wooden joists. Placing the plywood over the whole floor may spread out the weight and buy you several more years with that unit.You could also look underneath and see if there is any way to add additional support members under the soft areas to give the newly installed floor more strength. Only problem is the project will also add weight to a trailer that may have a limited cargo carrying capacity being it is a lightweight. But since you are limited for time I cannot think of any other options that are not very involving.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #5

We have a 2010 22'6" with a soft floor in the bathroom from a leak I can't find.

I think I will rip and tear, try and fix the leak, then lay some 1/4 inch GIS ply over top.

Use it for another year or two with luck then trade it in.

JMHO, Dave.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #6

Yes it could definitely get pretty involved depending on what is underneath the floor such as holding tanks and plumbing. I don't know on your model how the floor was built but on our 2015 we visited the factory and they built the whole floor with 2 by 3 studs and tongue and groove on top glued and screwed .... Depending on where the damage is you might be able to surface cut throu the ply just deep enough to remove it then brace around it with some 2 by or something to rescrew the new to. But I am sure it would be a project to say the least. Good luck
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Thanks, I know it's going be a big one after poking around a bit. But stuff happens. I figure a dealer would know in minutes whether to junk it out or leave it in a corner for a winter employee project.
Maybe a factory visit isn't as weird as I once thought it was!
Dave
Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

I do have the luan and foam sandwich floor system, which would be better...screws or glue when laying down the new plywood? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Xavblk; first find the source of the problem and fix that. As a alternative you can lay laminate flooring. Available also in Vinyl type (Allure), you be surprised by the weight it will carry. With some innovation you can repair cheap and have some good use out your unit till you decide to trade.

If you want to laydown plywood use glue and screws. Be sure the screws are not sticking out.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Thank you Aljo!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #11

x2
Dave
Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #12

Xavblk, I recently did what you are planning to our X17a. I used 1/2 inch cabinet grade plywood and covered the whole floor and had only 1 seam which I made sure was over a floor joist. Mine too is the luan and foam floor but it does have 2x2 joist running the full width of the camper but they are not spaced equally. I was able to get a drawing of the floor framing emailed to me from Jayco. Using that I found a joist by using a holesaw thru the first layer of luan and partially uncovered a joist. From there I was able to measure and locate the centers of the others. I did all this so I could put screws into something solid and not foam. Be sure to countersink the heads of the screws and cover with floor patch so they don't show thru the new vinyl floor. By the way, my door threshold was 1/2 higher than the floor so now it is exactly level. I didn't use adhesive, but looking back I wish I had used some liquid nail or sub floor adhesive. It may have added some strength. To get a good fit on your plywood and flooring, lay 8 1/2 x 11 printer paper around the floor outlining the entire area. Overlap the paper sheets and tape together, cutting odd shapes out with scissors. Patience will pay off with a good fit for the vinyl. After going all the way around, carefully remove the paper and take to a large flat floor such as a garage to use as a template. After cutting, I took the vinyl (one piece) into the TT and carefully laid it out into position without any glue, then I rolled back one half and spread the glue under that part and then rolled it back over the glue and repeated for the other side. All the cabinet doors fit without cutting them off, but I did remove them while working. The fit around the walls and cabinets was good enough that didn't need molding, just a narrow bead of brown caulking. Take your time and it will be well worth the work. I also like ALJO's suggestion of the laminate flooring if will completely span the soft spots. I believe this type floor "floats" so adhesive and screws wouldn't be needed and no vinyl either. Good luck!! L.W.
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote