Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

2014 Jayco 264BH - Bottom bunk is hot.

My camper has double bunks in the back. My bottom bunk gets unbearably hot. The AC cools off the rest of the camper, but the bottom bunk is 10-20 degrees warmer. No air seems to flow to it. I thought about mounting a fan, but it doesn't seem like there is a good spot to put one.

I am just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and how they fix it.
crettera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

I purchased a short tension curtain/shower rod and put it vertically in the corner between the lower and upper bunk, then clip a small desk fan to the pole. Also, if your water heater is below the bunk, turning off the water heater when not needed seems to aid in lowering the bottom bunk temperature.

I'm also going to watch this post for any better solutions.
jrdpttrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #3

I've noticed that too the last time we were out. It was 90 plus outside and I noticed my kids had left the back cargo door open so I made sure it was closed to help keep the heat out. There are only 2's and thin ply seperating the cargo area from the bunk. I've thought about cutting some foam board insulation and gluing it in the cargo area for insulation but a fan might have to do for now. I'm going to try a small fan (8-10") fan on the vanity at night when the kids are in their bunks.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #4

Yeah, that bottom bunk gets stuffy. I'm currently planning to mount a fan, but I really like the tension rod idea! I didn't even think about the water heater! DOH! Mine sits under the back corner of the bottom bunk.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

We put a small oscillating fan on the rear vanity so that it blows air into the bathroom and the lower bunk. I also mounted small wall mount oscillating fans in the master bedroom area and the living room areas. They are both mounted on the wall that separates the bedroom from the living area. The fans are easily removed from their brackets when traveling. Last week we camped on the San Marcos river in central Texas where the outside temps were right at 100 every day. Inside the TT the temp never got above 73. We're very happy with the results. (I upgraded the AC to a 15KW unit when we purchased the TT).

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
We put a small oscillating fan on the rear vanity so that it blows air into the bathroom and the lower bunk. I also mounted small wall mount oscillating fans in the master bedroom area and the living room areas. They are both mounted on the wall that separates the bedroom from the living area. The fans are easily removed from their brackets when traveling. Last week we camped on the San Marcos river in central Texas where the outside temps were right at 100 every day. Inside the TT the temp never got above 73. We're very happy with the results. (I upgraded the AC to a 15KW unit when we purchased the TT).
I bet the river was nice and cool too!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #7

If you got the extra fridge in the storage compartment. That puts out a lot of heat as well.
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote