Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

white Hawk or Jay Flight with fiberglass siding?

I noticed that Jayco has fiberglass siding for the Jay Flight trailer now . The ends are vacuum(sp) bonded and the sides are pinch rolled. I think I know the difference in the processes but would make it any difference in the way the trailer lasts ? Is the pinch rolled more delamination prone? Would there be much difference in weight from the aluminum? I have to admit I like the look of fiberglass better and it seems like smooth surface would tow better than the corrugated aluminum . Any discussion is welcomed , Thanks.
Bobj616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

As a cabinetmaker for 30 years I have used both methods. Pinch rolling for flat surfaces and vacuum on the curved pieces. That being said, after working in campgrounds for a few years, I would say 20% - 25% or more of all rv's with fiberglass experience some delamination issues. I'm not sure what adhesive they use, but moisture/heat could be the issue. I choose to get aluminum on our new unit to avoid the issue. Also aluminum is easier to repair is necessary.
FYI vacuum laminating just means the curved wall panel, with adhesive and fiberglass are placed in a mold. A membrane covers the whole assembly. Then a vacuum is applied by pumping air out of the mold, allowing atmospheric pressure to pinch the pieces together. Once the adhesive is cured the panel is removed. Pinch rolling is just as it sounds, the panel is run between a platen and roller to apply the necessary pressure. Very difficult to pinch roll a curved panel and the vacuum is more time and labor intensive, hence both methods are used.
I doubt the method has little to do with how long the panel stays adhered as long as proper amount of adhesive is used. Again I would think it would be more of a moisture/heat issue. The aluminum would not rely on adhesive as it would have mechanical fasteners to adhere it to the wall panels. Hope that helps.
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj616 View Post
I noticed that Jayco has fiberglass siding for the Jay Flight trailer now . The ends are vacuum(sp) bonded and the sides are pinch rolled. I think I know the difference in the processes but would make it any difference in the way the trailer lasts ? Is the pinch rolled more delamination prone? Would there be much difference in weight from the aluminum? I have to admit I like the look of fiberglass better and it seems like smooth surface would tow better than the corrugated aluminum . Any discussion is welcomed , Thanks.
Welcome to the forum.

I can only address the towing part: No difference.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

I too considered the JayFlight with fiberglass for a brief moment. My conclusion...

1) Jayco has spent considerable resources touting the superiority of their "vacuum bonding" process for fiberglass sidewalls -- then they don't use that same process on the JayFlights. So if what they themselves claimed, vacuum bonding is the superior process and helps reduce delamination, then I had to conclude that the pinch roll process is inferior and the JayFlight sidewalls are not as good of quality as Jayco's other lines with Fiberglass.
***dont know if you care, but last year when researched it I was surprised to learn that JayFlight with fiberglass walls still had 2x2 wood frames, not aluminum.

2) once I saw JayFlight fiberglass sidewalls on a dealers lot next to an Eagle and Whitehawk I lost interest in a JayFlight with fiberglass. The sidewalls were not gelcoat and too me looked like unfinished fiberglass.

3) I didn't want to spend the $ that Eagles cost, so then it came down to Whitehawk vs JayFlight with Alum. After spending hours Looking at and comparing both there was just a lot of features and upgrades missing in the Whitehawk we wanted, I didn't want to contend with the possibility of delamination so we decided on another JayFlight stick and tin TT.

Ironically after all that research of visits to dealerships and RV shows, we found exactly what we wanted used and purchased it private party. Couldn't be happier with the TT and saved $10k + going used. It extremely nice not to have had to get a loan.

Good luck.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote