Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #1

High pitch tone - breaker panel

The past 2 times we've camped (we had electrical hook-up both times), upon connecting power to our TT, my family noted a very high pitch tone coming from the breaker panel. It wasn't loud, but loud enough that we all could hear it and annoy us. I flipped the main breaker off in the TT panel and it stopped. When I flipped the breaker back on, the tone came back. After a few minutes of putting up with this noise, it stopped and never came back for the remainder of our camping trip. At the time this happened, no accessories (microwave, A/C) were on.

What I described above happened both times we camped.

I did have the following Surge / Voltage Protector connected:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

I had to have my converter changed out due to this same problem. Under warranty of course. Mine happened under load and when the converter was in full charge and med charge mode, not float. Under float it would go away.

It's a squeal that is electronic in origin and not a fan. Didn't matter where I plugged in as it occured at home, at the dealer and while at the cg.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Just a couple of thoughts 1. You said it stopped when you flipped off the main i wonder if you left the main on and turned off the individual breakers off one at a time to see if it is an indivdual item thats causing it 2. Since it quit after a while i wonder if it might be the fan not working intermittantly. Just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
Just a couple of thoughts 1. You said it stopped when you flipped off the main i wonder if you left the main on and turned off the individual breakers off one at a time to see if it is an indivdual item thats causing it 2. Since it quit after a while i wonder if it might be the fan not working intermittantly. Just my two
I will look further into it by doing what you said. Thanks!!
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

AC breakers can sometimes make buzzing noises including high pitch noise due to vibration from the AC signal. If the inverter has rectifiers this can also cause high frequency noise. If the noise is coming and going it may the load on the system/breaker. I don't have a direct answer for you but if it's annoying then it should be checked to make sure it isn't something that's going to fail while you're on a trip(no pun intended).
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

I've had the same problem...I'm going to have it checked by my dealer now. Happens every time I use the rig. Really annoying. I agree.
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #7

Is it the invertor converting from AC to dc? I had a whine coming from it until I swapped out halogens for led lights and the power draw lowered and the invertor didn't have to work as hard.
jsundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Team

High pitch tone - breaker panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsundin View Post
Is it the invertor converting from AC to dc? I had a whine coming from it until I swapped out halogens for led lights and the power draw lowered and the invertor didn't have to work as hard.

Inverter converts DC to AC, Converter makes DC into AC. Both make noise and. Generate heat.
I am having trouble following this thread.

Most rv's come standard with some type Converter. Inverters are usually added aftermarket.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #9

Its the converter mounted with the breaker panel. My inverter is mounted in my basement and I have no noise there. It happens when I have little or no load.
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #10

Guess from all the responses that something might be wrong, I should have had mine checked out while it was still under warranty. My DS swears mine squeals enough to bother him. My older ears don't hear it. I just thought he had sensitive ears.
wannavolunteerft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

I have the same problem - checking with the manufacturer- please post if / or when you determine a fix- mine is making me bat **** crazy at night...
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmichaels View Post
AC breakers can sometimes make buzzing noises including high pitch noise due to vibration from the AC signal. If the inverter has rectifiers this can also cause high frequency noise. If the noise is coming and going it may the load on the system/breaker. I don't have a direct answer for you but if it's annoying then it should be checked to make sure it isn't something that's going to fail while you're on a trip(no pun intended).
I've been an electrician for 35 years. Circuit breakers do NOT make high pitch noises. If a breaker makes a buzzing noise then there is a problem with that circuit and needs to be troubleshot.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

I've experienced the same thing, I thought it was some kind of warning or alarm, but after a little while it went away. I'm interested to see what the solution is.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #14

I have the same issue with my Jayco North Point. When I switch off the "inverter" breaker or the "converter" breaker the noise goes away. This leaves me with limited power throughout the rig but no noise... If I leave them off for 20-30 the noise seems to stop for a few days. It's not the fans in the breaker panel as they were still when I removed the front, it's some kind of electrical do-hicky behind the fans on the circuit board.
JIlleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

my 2008 26bh has a high pitched squeal that is barely audible any time we plug in the 30 amp cord. it goes away after a minute or two and we never figured out why. I thought maybe it was coming from the speakers but its hard to tell.
xcav8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #16

I called Progressive Dynamics and here is what they sent me:

Total replacement of the converter section is the only way to get rid of noise..

There is Repair Exchange available for units less than 10 years old. The year of manufacture in the first 2 numbers of the serial . A13xxxxxxxxxxxx meaning 2013 The next 3 digits are the Julian date for the year.

For $110. + $16 Ground Shipping

You can call us and set up an RGA.

We will send you a replacement remanufactured charger with a 1 year Warranty.

When you receive the replacement use the box to return the old one. You

would pay the return shipping on the old one.

Or an RGA number can be obtained and the old unit sent in first.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote