Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Grease Compatibility

I recently bought a 2015 JayFlight 26BH. The trailer has the EZ lube axles. In the near future, I will need to repack the bearings, so I am trying to determine the appropriate grease to use.

It is my understanding that grease compatibility is important, so I would need to use the same type of grease that was used by the factory.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...-compatibility

That being the case, does anyone know what kind of grease the factory uses?

Alternately, does the EZ lube remove all of the old grease, so compatibility with the new grease would not be an issue?
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

I highly doubt that Dexter or Jayco uses anything but the cheapest lithium complex grease money can buy. With that being said, any lithium complex/moly multi-purpose grease that you can buy at your local TSC store will be more than sufficient.

The EZ lube does not remove all the old grease. If you want it all removed you'd need to remove the hubs and the bearings, clean everything with solvent, and then purge out the passageways with new grease.

In my 25+ years of Journeyman Machine Repair work, the only case I have seen with grease related bearing failure was on a 100 hp air compressor motor, and that was due to overgreasing using the proper grease!

BTW I have attended a 40 hour Noria training course on machine lubrication (reference to your link). They are an independent third party company that has no ties to any oil company so they speak the truth.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Mcfarmall
appreciate your info on wheel bearing and grease used but on an unrelated subject i noticed you have similar trailer to mine question is i am wanting to service my water heater , i noticed a pvc plug to drain , is that where ionized rod is replaced at . Thanks for the info
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
I recently bought a 2015 JayFlight 26BH. The trailer has the EZ lube axles. In the near future, I will need to repack the bearings, so I am trying to determine the appropriate grease to use.

It is my understanding that grease compatibility is important, so I would need to use the same type of grease that was used by the factory.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...-compatibility

That being the case, does anyone know what kind of grease the factory uses?

Alternately, does the EZ lube remove all of the old grease, so compatibility with the new grease would not be an issue?
It has been my experience over the years that the best grease and oil turns out to be the cheapest investment you can make. That is why I only use Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants. Don't skimp on grease or oil. It is much cheaper than buying parts!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
Mcfarmall
appreciate your info on wheel bearing and grease used but on an unrelated subject i noticed you have similar trailer to mine question is i am wanting to service my water heater , i noticed a pvc plug to drain , is that where ionized rod is replaced at . Thanks for the info
No sacrificial rod in the water heater. Tank is aluminum, hence the plastic/nylon/PVC (whatever material) and not a brass plug due to the reaction of the dissimilar metals.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellys View Post
Mcfarmall
clubhouse is on the money. The water heater in our '06 23B's don't have an anode rod. Make sure you use a nylon plug in the drain hole not PVC (can't take the heat) or brass (dissimilar metals). Your best service to the water heater would be to take the drain plug out, hook your garden hose up to the city water inlet and let it run for a while to flush any sediment out.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #7

There is also a flexible wand available from Camco and others that you stick in the drain hole that helps flush any sediment. I bought one recently from Amazon and was surprised to see some calcium deposits come out when I used it for the first time. I always thought that I had done a good job flushing the system. So I think for $6 its worth having in your unit.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

This is a link to the Dexter lube chart. They're pretty specific on what type of lube to use with each application. Hope this helps.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...tion_Chart.pdf

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the responses.

RedHorse1, I didn't know it at the time I originally posted, but the link you sent was exactly what I wanted!

Also, I had never thought about flushing the water heater with the plug off or using a flexible wand for that. Very useful information.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger View Post
Thanks for all of the responses.

RedHorse1, I didn't know it at the time I originally posted, but the link you sent was exactly what I wanted!

Also, I had never thought about flushing the water heater with the plug off or using a flexible wand for that. Very useful information.
You are more than welcome.
I also have one of the flush wand for the water heater and the blow-out for the water lines will thread into it as well. I can blow the heater out with air if needed.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote