Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #21

Smile

Algonquin Prov. Park is the oldest park and biggest park in the province. Unfortunally that means the sites were design before we had the hugh campers. Also, as its a protected site I would also presume that expansion and updating would be a nightmare in environmental paperwork. It caters to being in the great outdoors, as in backpacking and canoeing trips. I have yet to camp there in my trailer but have done it many times tenting and day trips. It is really a great experience but I can definetly see your point as now that I have a trailer I would also find it harder with the dump and fill stations further than the norm. Algonquin is also so hugh that if you want to use any the hiking trails or museums you need to drive to each one. That being said they are worth the drive. Also the visitors centre is closer to the East Gate. West to East is 56 kms. There are a few gas and convience stores inside the park but $$$$$. Gas Stations and the closest stores outside the park are 31 km (village) to 50 kms (town). Cell phone service is very limited. Do check out the link I posted earlier as it has all kinds of usefull information on Alqonquin.

As for the other Prov. Parks I'm not aware of any having sewage and water right at the site. I'm heading out soon to my fifth one this season. The sewage and water stations are at each park though and so far I have found that I haven't needed to utilize them except for the first and last day. I have an X19H and I do not use the shower at all (Park showers so far have been very clean and convient) and my family of 4 uses the toilet only at night (forces my kids to go out for a walk and enjoy the park).

As for electricity as I said I found some were closer than stated. At Rondeau P.P. it said 15 m (45ft). I went out and bought a 50 ft extension only to find the post was only 15ft away. Thankfully I had it for Bronte P.P. as it stated 20 m (60 ft) and that was correct. This was the fustrating part.

We have alway stayed at Prov. Parks because the sites in most part private.

Happy Camping.
Raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I don't believe there are any provincial parks with full hook-ups and I thought state parks had that in common although I have never camped state side. We are planning a trip to see Algonquin park next year but are going to camp at Arrowhead provincial park witch is only 1/2 hour away to visit. We have yet to see either park and my decision to camp at arrowhead is from good reviews on tripadviser. A lot of people prefer Arrowhead over Algonquin because of the sites being more private. Don't know for sure but we'll check both out.

Arrowhead is a great park. Grew up near there so I did alot of tenting, day trips and winter school outings. Great beaches, swimming and a beautiful river for canoeing.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #23

I've camped extensively in the Provincial Parks and a lot of the previous info is very good so I won't repeat it.

Something to keep in mind is that the popular parks book up quickly so try and reserve early if you have a specific preferece. It's gotten so bad that it's almost like buying concert tickets when making a reservation. We try to book the parks in the summer at the earliest opportunity which is 5 months ahead to the day at 7am. Even then we have been stoned not getting our preferred site because someone else was a fraction of a second quicker pushing the reserve button.

Try this site out for looking at pictures of campsites as it provides more detail than the ON Parks site www.campsitepictures.com . Most of the main parks are on here and we use it extensively before booking.

Ontario has some great conservation areas as well. A little less expensive than ON Parks with more amenities but not as isolated or wilderness-like.

Enjoy if you get there.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #24

Thanks Coodog, I had no idea that website existed. Yes you do have to be quick on the draw 5 months ahead mainly in the summer though. My wife laughs at me because my hands will be be shaking at two minutes to 7am waiting to hit that enter key. lol
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #25

I'll agree with bigbird and say thanks to coondog for another great website to look at.

Couple of the parks I was interested in checking out are on it and the pictures are definitly valuable information.

As for the conservation areas, I agree they are also a wonderful camping spot here in Ontario.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #26

Just to put things in perspective for you:

Ontario is 415,598 sq miles, Pennsylvania 46,055 sq miles, and Texas is 268,581 sq miles.

The population of ON and PA are both 12,000,000+.

There are 250,000 lakes, and about one-third of the world's fresh water, in Ontario.

I am always amazed that people I meet in New York and Pennsylvania have never been here.

BTW: Labatt and Molson beer in Canada is better.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #27

Yes, I live in this country and it is both astonishingly big: and very empty.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Yes, I live in this country and it is both astonishingly big: and very empty.
Lol. You don't drive through the lower mainland on the way to work everyday.