Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #21

I finally decided to order the EMS-PT30C from Amazon. Here's how I'm thinking of mounting it. I have a 30A 25' extension cord that I never have to use. I'm thinking of locking the EMS to one of the frame outrigger brackets under the trailer with a chain, plugging the trailer into it and using the extension cord to plug into the electrical box.

In my mind, this has several advantages. First, it will keep the EMS out of the rain. The bracket that I plan to use is also behind the slide, so there will be additional rain protection. Second, the EMS will be less obvious to thieves and no one can complain about it being locked to the electric post. Third, the cord that comes out of the trailer will be out of the mud, so the cord storage box will be kept clean. The extension cord just goes in the Rubbermaid storage bin.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:01 AM   #22

Just to give you some things to think about before doing this installation.

1. Using the RV cable (25 ft) to the EMS and the extension (another 25 ft) plus an addition set of plug/receptacle connections. Shorter and fewer is best.

2. Most pedestals can be closed when the EMS is plugged into it and a lock placed in the pedestal cover.

You may have already considered these things but I didn't want you to overlook them.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Just to give you some things to think about before doing this installation.

1. If it is permanently installed under the trailer will road spray enter the receptacle? That will create problems. I had no thoughts of leaving it there.

2. Using the RV cable (25 ft) to the EMS and the extension (another 25 ft) plus an addition set of plug/receptacle connections. Shorter and fewer is best. That will add 1 more connection. I'm not sure what the resistance of the connection is, but the extra 50' of wire will result in a drop of about 1V at 20 amps. We never go out in the summer, so don't often use the AC.

3. Most pedestals can be closed when the EMS is plugged into it and a lock placed in the pedestal cover. I'm not sure, but I don't remember the hole for the lock being big enough for anything but a very small lock. I'll have to check in a couple of weeks when we go on a trip.

You may have already considered these things but I didn't want you to overlook them.
I remember reading on several posts on various forums that people who have an electrical compartment do the same thing with the EMS in the electrical compartment and an extension cord going to the post. No one ever mentioned a problem with this arrangement.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #24

Bill, you caught my post before I caught the fact you weren't installing it permanently. As you can see I dropped that part.

Item 3: Not all pedestals can do it but many I have been to can. And they accept a standard padlock.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #25

I just thought of another reason to use the extension cord instead of plugging the EMS directly into the pedestal. I decided to check my old cord and discovered that the neutral blade had overheated at some time. It's probably been at least 10 years since I've needed to use it, so I have no idea when it happened. The rubber is not burned, but the blade had gotten hot. I would rather replace a $36 cord than damage the EMS in such a situation. I think that I can still use my extension cord, but I'll have to watch to see if the plug gets hot under load.