Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Angry Tankless water heater

I have a 14 senca motorhome with tankless water heater . Does anyone have one that's works??
Remo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Mine works but will burn you and then chill you. Not a big fan of it. My wife has determined that you just crack the hot water and use the cold to regulate temp. Works as good as everything else we've tried. Lots of talk on this site about that booger.
oilslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #3

Angry Tankless water heater

Thanks , everyone I have talked to says the same thing ! It's a shame
To spend 150,000 and have to put a old style water heater in its
Place !!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

Remo, I am still learning about our TWH but what I have found is, I don't dilute the hot with cold. I have yet to use the cold water tap in the shower. I adjust the temp of the water just with the hot tap. Do a search on threads and you will find others that are finding ways of correcting problems.
Good luck
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

There are many posts on how to work this water heater and a video or two out there as well. Try the Girard website. Having said that, I have found that you must adjust the water heater by the rotary knob to adjust for incoming water temp and pressure at every stop. It takes a little experimentation, but we got the hang of it really quick. After that is figured out, no cold water is necessary at all, you just get an endless stream of the perfect temperature water for your shower. We find that we adjust the temp back up when we are doing dishes and use a little "sign here" tab to note the location of the adjustment knob for showers at ehatever park we are staying at.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #6

We have a 2015FK Grayhawk. The first time out,we lost hot water. When we got home, I called Girard and they were very helpful. We trouble shot the problem on the phone and they determined that the spark igniter had crapped out. They shipped me a replacement which I installed and we had hot water. We have been out 3 times since then and had no issues. We adjust the hot water by running the water in the sink in the bathroom. We adjust the water temperature by rotating the hot water temperature switch in the bathroom. When it is right,we turn the sink water off and turn only the hot water on in the shower. We also make it a little warmer than is comfortable but that can be adjusted by a bit of cold water if necessary. The trick of the whole system is flow and incoming water temperature. If the hot water is on full flow and the temperature is too cold, back off on the hot water very little and you will see a big difference in the temperature. Too much flow through the heat exchanger does not allow the water to warm up. Too little flow causes the water to over heat while in the heat exchanger.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Snipe22 has it. We use only hot and turn down the volume. Steady nice shower temp is result. Have one in my house works same way.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:03 PM   #8

Tankless water

I just had a question about the tankless water heaters... do they only operate on propane? If so, when you're at a full hookup campground, you would be paying for their electric, but using your propane. Seems like you'd be better off with a regular water heater unless you mainly dry camp.

Just a thought...
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
I just had a question about the tankless water heaters... do they only operate on propane? If so, when you're at a full hookup campground, you would be paying for their electric, but using your propane. Seems like you'd be better off with a regular water heater unless you mainly dry camp.

Just a thought...
the amount of propane that a tankless heater would use in a weekend wouldn't cook a couple of hamburgers
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Yes, they only run on propane. They do seem pretty efficient thought. I cannot prove that they are efficient since we have only used it for about 10 days thus far. I do not notice any major change on the propane gauge.
snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #11

Two things... (1) The Girard Tankless WH that Jayco choose to install is KNOWN to have "short contact time" (meaning, the "flame" isn't "exposed" to the water tubing for a long enough period of time) and that it can - at BEST - only heat the water 20°-70° above what the "ambient water temperature" is. So... If you have VERY cold incoming water, your outgoing "hot" water may not be what you're used to in a traditional tank heater. (2) The Attwood brand is a better Tankless WH ONLY because the "contact time" is longer between the flame and the water tubing.

Both systems are COMPLETELY reliant on the ambient water temperature on how much they can actually heat. So... If you're in a "hot climate" and want HOT water, you may be able to use the water in your HOLDING tank (via the pump) for "higher temperatures" (the ambient temperature of the water in the holding tank is most likely warmer than the water from the underground system).

***ALSO***, the airflow for the Girard system is CRITICAL for a proper flame (blue v. yellow, you want a blue flame). Too MUCH air is actually not good for this system. Make sure the enclosure door is tight. Ours was a tad loose (from people trying to "hinge" the door versus lift it off the "posts"). Once I tightened the fasteners, the Girard worked fine - even for my wife (who was not pleased with her first cold shower).

Good luck...
WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #12

We had the same system in our 31FS and it was very frustrating because of the variability of the incoming water temperature. On pump water we would waste a lot of water futzing with the control knob to get the temp correct and then we could not use the shutoff at the shower without freezing and or scalding us. The dealer at our expense installed an accumulator tank at my expense which helped but did not solve the problems. Finally Jayco replaced the tankless unit with a tank version.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #13

Thanks I ordered a old style heater