Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Battery wiring to disconnect solenoid

My 2005 24SS came with a single 12 volt, 115 amp hour battery, so I'm modifying the original battery box to add another battery (230 amp hours total) to run an inverter/charger.

The box has the battery disconnect solenoid and a 50 amp circuit breaker mounted on it. These are too small for the amps the inverter/charger will require (100-110 amps peak), so I'm planning to replace them with a 100+ amp manual disconnect switch and a 200 amp fuse (same as in my previous motorhome).

The battery + post has four cables on it - two 4 AWG and two 6 AWG cables. I'm guessing this:

4 AWG: charge lead from Iota converter
4 AWG: charge lead from engine alternator
6 AWG: power lead to 400 watt Xantrex inverter
6 AWG: power lead to the DC distribution box

Question 1: What are these four cables really for? That would save me a bunch of digging around in the wiring.

Question 2: Will replacing the disconnect solenoid and the inline circuit breaker with a manual switch and fuse cause me any problems? I've been surprised by the wiring in this coach before, so I'm trying to avoid more surprises.

Question 3: Can someone post a detailed DC wiring diagram? I have a drawing the factory sent me, but it's a single line style drawing the just hints at how things are connected, and doesn't show those cables I asked about, or other details that would help with installing the new batteries and the inverter/charger.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

Battery wiring to disconnect solenoid - some answers

I've installed a sliding tray that can hold four 6 volt batteries (440 AH total) or three 12 volt batteries (345 AH total), a battery monitor, and solar charging system. Along the way, I determined the four cables on the positive battery post are:

2 AWG: to the genset starter
4 AWG: charge lead from engine alternator
4 AWG: charge lead from the Iota DLS-45 charger
6 AWG: power lead to the DC distribution box and Xantrex 400W inverter

Removing the OEM disconnect solenoid does not seem to cause any problems. There were two small wires connected to a 5A fuse on it: one powers the cab radio, the other one - function unknown. For now, they and the solar regulator are connected to the battery with an in-line 10 amp fuse.

I'm making my own schematic of the DC wiring as I change things and discover others.
Eric6A is offline   Reply With Quote