Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

Pluming system between uses

I would like some thoughts on prepping pluming system for short term storage, month or so. The reason I ask is that I store a popup (previous Camper) for two months with water stuck in the lines and ended up with a clear gel like fungus in the water. Don't want this to happen in my new camper. Here is what I did after or first trip.

1. Blew out lines with an air compressor
2. Drained the hot water tank

The hot water tank drain is hard to get at, does anyone have an idea for an upgrade to that drain to make it easier? (X17a)

Do you leave all faucets open or
closed?
Thanks
Kdunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, was kind of a pain.
I don't have mine here yet, but will be looking to improve.
Some people have a straight shot with a ratchet.
If not, I may tap a 1/4 pipe thread in the center and elbow it out with a valve.
I know people don't recommend putting a dissembler material plug in.

Just thinking out loud.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Once we start camping we go monthly on average. I don't empty the tanks, water heater, water lines until the end of the season. I sanitize before the first trip, and usually once again mid season. Over two camping seasons I haven't had any issues with things growing in the water tanks/lines.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

You do not state what you have for at trailer, or how frequent you go camping, so…..

I only drain the lines and the water heater if we are not planning to go out for a month or more. There is a plug on the bottom of my water heater. I replaced the plug with a bushing and added a short flexible water hose similar to what is used to connect your sink faucets in the house to the water supply line, along with a small ¼ turn ball valve. I do not have a picture of my setup. It was a 3-4 parts runs to get all the right parts. When I want to drain the tank, I open the outside cover; pull the flex hose out from the trailer, open the valve, and open the pressure relieve valve (at the top of the tank). A couple of minutes later the tank is drained. It works well, it is a little slower to drain then just removing the OEM plug. But the placement of the OEM plug makes it really difficult to get on and off.

I always keep the faucets closed. I do not want to forget that they are open when I connect to the city water connection. It could be a mess to clean up if the drain stop was in, or I walked away to do something else and find out I filled my tanks full.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

I have found that with my Jayco I can open the low point drain at the bottom of the RV and after the lines have all drained just open the pressure valve on the hot water tank and it will also drain out through the low point drains..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #6

I drain the low point drains after every trip, but not the water heater. I don't ever use my FW tank and it hasn't had water in it since the PDI when I picked up the trailer. If I ever decide to use the FW tank, I'll sanitize it, but we carry bottled water for drinking, cooking, coffee, and the Yorkies.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

I have always drained the water system before I tow. Now that I am camping every weekend and sitting in one place most of the time I haven't been draining the water system. I do sanitize it at the beginning of the water system season and then again in July.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

I'm with Seann on this one. When I'm getting ready to leave the campground, I open a few faucets, then open both low point drains. By the time I get the TT back to the storage unit, everything's drained. I go in, close the faucets and then low point drains and I'm ready for the next trip. Something else I do at least 2 times per season, I'll drain and flush the water heater. To do this I take the drain plug out of the water heater, let it drain and with the plug still out, I turn on the water. Since my water heater fills first, the only water is coming out of the heater. You wouldn't believe how much of the little lime chips that come out. Yes, I'm the guy with streaming water coming out as I go down the road, cleaning the windshield of the car behind me. Is that bad? Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

Basically the same here, right before we start packing up, open the low point drains and faucets and flip the pressure valve on the water heater. Usually it's all drained before we even leave the site, then we close everything back up. I also open the FW tank drain if anything is left in it, moving down the road will usually insure its completely drained. As mentioned be sure to sanitize at least once at the start of the season, we usually do that twice per year.

Quote:
Something else I do at least 2 times per season, I'll drain and flush the water heater.
This is also a really good thing to do, you can get some serious chucks built up in there.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

We camp about once a month during April through October, and do not drain anything except the fresh water tank. We are on a private well at the house with filtered water, and have never had a problem with odor or bad taste. Each new trip, I fill the FW tank to a level appropriate to the length of stay, then run new water through all spigots and the toilet. As I put homemade solution and ice cubes down the toilet to slosh around on the way to the CG, the extra water also helps keep the BW tank clean.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote