Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Coastal Area and Corrosion

I am planning on a trip to the Texas Coast in the near future. The area we will camp is near the beach, and there is alot of mist that travels in in the early mornings there. Of course I will plan on spray washing the under carriage of our trailer when I get back. But I noticed Jayco does not seem to put that much emphasis on corrosion control, at least from the paint work I have seen. Every spot where paint is missing from scratches ect. starts rusting immediately and there is no galvanizing. For those campers that have been to to the coastal areas with your trailers, did you notice additional corrosion under the units after use? I doubt if its anything to worry about, but just thought I would ask.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

We have been down to the beach a handful of times. Gave everyone a bath or at least a rinse after we got home. The only corrosion I've noticed are a couple screws on the windows, I'll replace them as soon as I can, and just noticed them last weekend when we got home from a trip.

When you go down, you'll see what long term surf spray exposure can do to a rig. So just give her a good bath when you get home, and you should be Good to go.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

We stored our old camper at the beach for 10 years, while there was some rust here and there the only thing that worried me was the steel wheels. They were getting ugly.

I wouldn't worry about a trip here and there, just rinse off when you get done.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Steel wheels have been my only concern so far as well. I touch them up once a year but the rust keeps coming back through....The frame looks good, n o rust there like I have seen on some rigs. We have been to several waterfront parks including Assateague behind the dunes during a mild North Easter.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

I have had 2 stored at the beach over the last 12 years. I wash every time I go, and wax 2 to 3 times a year. One thing I have meant to do, but never done, was replace the screws with stainless steel ones. Give it a good wash and wax before you go, and a good wash when you get home.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #6

I've lived a short walk from the beach for 20 years and I've never noticed rust to be an issue. Quite the opposite actually as the Vancouver area is known for rust free cars. I may be just comparing to the rest of Canada which is covered road salt half the year but I wouldn't worry about it. Mist is moisture that forms in the air and won't have any noticeable salt in it.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Steel wheels have been my only concern so far as well. I touch them up once a year but the rust keeps coming back through....The frame looks good, n o rust there like I have seen on some rigs. We have been to several waterfront parks including Assateague behind the dunes during a mild North Easter.
this is why i up grade my rims to Alloy must better
bailee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #8

If I remember, I'll take some pics. Rigs down where we stay that have been there for a while are all rust from the skirt down; stab jacks, wheels, frame parts. Etc. all just big chunks of rust. And I'm talking about rigs parked three or four blocks from the beach. Granted, they're all older rigs, that have been parked for a while but still, it serves as a warning to rinse off your trailer when you get inland...

It's true, the occasional coastal visit won't hurt anything, but there's no reason to take a chance when you should wash your trailer a couple times a year anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

You'll get more salt on the undercarriage and side walls pulling your TT or RV on northern roads in the winter or after they have been treated for ice/snow. I came home in early March this year after 6 weeks along the gulf coast. Hit a winter storm south of Huntsville Ala and drove on treated roads all the rest of my trip home. Got home with ice spinners [like BenHur] on my TT wheels and so much slush frozen to the sides and undercarrage that I couldn't open the slide or storage doors. Most of it fell off by the next day and I hit it with a pressure washer all around and under. I have an enclosed undercarriage that helps keep it off the frame and haven't noticed any problem elsewhere. My suggestion is enjoy the beach and hit a car wash when you get 100 miles on your drive home.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote