Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #21

Always travel with frig. on.. No Problem.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #22

Has anyone traveled with the frig on when the frig is at the rear of the trailer? Does the vacuum/turbulence that is created in the back cause problems with the flame going out? My new White Hawk is the first RV where the frig is not on the side.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #23

I always travel with fridge on gas. Have experienced a flame out on a few occasions noticing that the fridge is flashing when I arrive or stop for the nite. Not sure why, but it must be turbulance or such as the electronic igniter would relight it I think. Anyway it has always fired back up and we were good to go.

the only time we were told to shut down the fridge was while traveling in a rented motorhome in Alaska when stopped to refill the onboard propane. The attendant ask both time for us to shut down the fridge. Never an issue at the gas pump.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
I always have mine running on gas. Fueling up,tunnels, wherever....just a rebel

Now that is funny right there! I too am a rebel....

Dave
malibuskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #25

Okay I have just run into this very problem of the igniter getting blown out while driving down the road. I mention this to the tech working on the trailer on the way home from camping for a different reason. He tells me that the igniter should relight itself but if it isn't then what he would do is get a furnace filter and open the panel on the outside of the TT for the fridge and put it in there so that the wind doesn't blow out the igniter. (of course to take the filter out when getting to the CG) I'm not sure about this since this is my first trailer and all this is new to me. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep this from happening when driving down the road. BTW I only drive 55-60mph when towing so it shouldn't be a mario andretti problem. Thanks!
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #26

If you have a roof vent for the ref. it may be damaged or missing. Or if you placed a weather cover over a crank vent close to it to may be directing air down the vent. If you have a wall vent make sure the flame protector is in the right position.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
Okay I have just run into this very problem of the igniter getting blown out while driving down the road. I mention this to the tech working on the trailer on the way home from camping for a different reason. He tells me that the igniter should relight itself but if it isn't then what he would do is get a furnace filter and open the panel on the outside of the TT for the fridge and put it in there so that the wind doesn't blow out the igniter. (of course to take the filter out when getting to the CG) I'm not sure about this since this is my first trailer and all this is new to me. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can keep this from happening when driving down the road. BTW I only drive 55-60mph when towing so it shouldn't be a mario andretti problem. Thanks!
Make sure it's actually lighting and staying lit on gas before you take off. I thought ours was getting blown out on the road, turns out DW was flipping the switch to gas and walking away assuming it would light. By the time we stopped, all we knew was that the fault light was blinking, so we assumed it was getting blown out in transit. Now she doesn't leave until she verifies that it's lit, and I check it every time we stop by listening as I walk by. We've never had it blow out. Personally, I would not put a furnace filter there, that seems to be asking for trouble.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #28

Our Norcold manual says, "The refrigerator receives DC power from the 12 volt system of the vehicle; either an auxiliary battery, a converter, or the vehicle engine battery." So we have thought that when we are traveling and have put the control on "Auto" that the fridge is running off the TV battery. Is that right?
blsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #29

12 volt pwr only controls the controls. The reef gets heat from gas or 120 elect to heat coil. The heat source turns ammonia into a gas to make cold.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #30

Ok, thank you for that info. We've only driven for two or three hours so didn't realize the fridge wasn't actually working while we were traveling.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsh View Post
Ok, thank you for that info. We've only driven for two or three hours so didn't realize the fridge wasn't actually working while we were traveling.
Actually if you have it turned on to "auto" when traveling and the green light is lit, the frig is indeed working on gas if your Norcold is like mine.

There are some rigs that are equipped with a 3 way frig, gas, 110 electric and 12 volt.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #32

Turn the reef and gas on. Gas works faster than elect.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #33

Our manual says its a 2-way fridge, so I guess it's not working while we travel since we haven't turned the gas on. We plug the trailer in a couple days before leaving and turn the fridge on then so it's good and cold before I stock it a few hours before we leave. Since we only travel two or three hours before setting up camp the fridge is still very cold when we arrive at the campground. If we traveled for longer, which we plan to do in the future, how long is too long to not have the fridge running? Of course, I'm sure that depends in part on how hot it is where we're traveling.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #34

There is no reason not to leave It on while traveling. It will use hardly any gas on a short trip. Makes sure your food don't get to hot.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #35
Lost in the Woods

it would take many hours before it would lose any coolness as long as it was never opened..leave the gas off if you prefer
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #36

Is anyone aware of a problem involving the fridge being on and gas being pumped? I may be missing something, (it's happened in the past) but the concealed flame is gong to be closest to the pump on the passenger side island and there would be several feet of air between the two, with a vehicle in between if gas is being pumped. If at a diesel only pumping area, no problem. I suppose there is a statistical chance of trouble in a long tunnel, but, again, there must be thousands of incidents of collisions causing problems at fueling stations, tunnels, etc., for every propane problem. But we all should act and live at our own comfort level.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #37

Yes, I travel with it on, always shut it off before I enter a gas station, tunnels and ferries. I always have the propane systems checked every year for safety by the dealer.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #38

Okay so an update on the igniter blowing out. It was in fact my human error that was causing it. Being new to TT's I wasn't standing there long enough to make sure that it was working on gas. It took three times of cycling through on/off and finally the third time I bled the line with the stove. I was standing there, what I considered a minute to see if the light was going to start blinking or not. My minute, being excited to get going with the fam and new TT, was no true minute. Thanks for all the advice from everyone on this subject!!
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote