Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Reasonable towing distance a day

Hello,

We just bought a 24T and have a 4000 mile trip planned. Some of our overnight stops are over 500 miles apart, is this feasable? We would be leaving from DFW area, to Alberq NM, then to Grand Canyon, up to SLC UT and then into Yellowstone.

At 10.5 mpg fuel stops are also a concern for me with the new TT. TV has 26 gallon tank, and it looks like around 200 miles I better find a gas station! Which raises my other concern about gas stations being able to accomodate TV and TT.

Thanks for your comments
Jayco24T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #2

The rule of thumb I've seen is 300-350 miles a day. That's what I am planning to use on my vacation this summer. Maybe you can do more but I'd rather get in earlier and have time to set up and relax.

I've got the same concern with you with my 26 gallon tank. I'm planning to take at least an extra 5 gallons along with me in a metal can just in case.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #3

10-12 hour days are not out of the norm for us, but our trips are long weekends and vacations usually a week at a time with weekend travel, so it's our choice to spend as much time at the destination as we can and with few stops and little sightseeing along the way.

The gas stops can be problematic. I also tow with a Tundra and suffered with the frequent fuel stops. I finally put a Transfer Flow tank in my truck and now can go 400 miles between stops if I need to. When you are 40 miles from Rock Springs, Wy at 11PM and the gas light comes on because you hadn't counted on a gas-sucking head wind, that is not a warm, fuzzy feeling. Not only does it reduce the white knuckle driving because you don't know where the next stop is going to be, it gives you some flexibility to avoid the places where it might be a hassle getting out. Now, when my gas light comes on, I know I have 11 gallons left and can still drive another 100 miles if I need to.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

Do you have more info on this Transfer Flow tank, Bob? It is a replacement tank or something that augments your standard tank.

I agree with you... if a long weekend or a week off, I'd drive much further too. I'm now able to take my time so there's no hurry.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

Go to Transfer Flow's website. They have several configurations for both gas and diesel. I have a hard cover on my bed, so I went with the tank that replaces the factory 26 gal tank with a steel 47 gal. tank. Be sitting down. They ain't cheap..
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #6

You didn't mention how many days are in your 4000 mile trip. Driving through the mountains can take alot more out of you than driving through the flatlands. And you don't cover as much distance in a given amount of time.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

A few years back we planned a trip to Disney and booked most of our campgrounds in advance as they fill up fast in that area. I planned on 500 miles a day.. But we had never towed a trailer before. We ended up exhausted some days and even lost our money on a couple of campgrounds we couln't make... So my advice is that you can try for 500 but i dont recomend you precook your site.. Or it may be too tiring and stressful.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
A few years back we planned a trip to Disney and booked most of our campgrounds in advance as they fill up fast in that area. I planned on 500 miles a day.. But we had never towed a trailer before. We ended up exhausted some days and even lost our money on a couple of campgrounds we couln't make... So my advice is that you can try for 500 but i dont recomend you precook your site.. Or it may be too tiring and stressful.
Lol ladyW. "precook your site". Isn't that what you did in your bear story on the campfire chat thread! Lol
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #9

I think 500 a day would be an upper limit for a relaxing time. It all depends on how much time you have to spend for the vacation as a whole and how much time you are planning at your destination. We are planning a trip from KS to Ca in June to visit family. We have done this trip many times but never with a TT. Usually we'd drive like crazy and try to get to Flagstaff, AZ and then take a nap in a hotel (literaly 5-6 hour nap) and then drive like crazy again until reaching our destination. This time with the camper we plan on stopping in Albuquerque, NM then another stop in Kingman, AZ, then on into Cali on day three. My kids have always been excellent passengers in the vehicle so I am looking forward to a little more relaxed pace. Another thing is my wife is capable/willing to drive the truck and camper also so we plan on switching off and on. My kids are 8 so I think maybe at age 10 yellowstone would be a good destination for us. Your trip sounds like alot of fun!
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

Re: pre-cooking site.. Pharoe I had four moody teenagers with me on that holiday.. after a day in the van with them.. I was a bit pre-cooked I think lol

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Site Team

I seldom tow over 250 miles a day and plan for less if possible. Driving 500 miles is very tiring on everyone. One exception is the last leg on the way home, then I'm like a horse headed for the barn.

Anyway, we are not in a hurry anymore like working people who have to make the most of a vacation.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #12

Our First year towing a big rig ( for us at least)

I cut my expectation to less than 300 miles per day last summer and intend to keep it near that level. I woudl rather have a longer relaxing trip per day. Out here gas can be an issue particulary if you are price sensative. A laptop with wireless and a bit of common sense can help you save money. Pilot has a discount if you have one of their courtesy cards and even more if your a Good Sam member. Maps to Costco with gas and prices can help a lot as well.

But make sure you have enouh to make the next major town and then some. I came awfully close last summer with a head wind from new Mexico to Flagstaff on I 40. I am really sure now i have 36 Gallon+ Tank. The computer estimating our range had been at zero for quite some time ... When i pulled up to the Gas Station I still wonder how much I really had left..
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco24T View Post
Hello,

We just bought a 24T and have a 4000 mile trip planned. Some of our overnight stops are over 500 miles apart, is this feasable? We would be leaving from DFW area, to Alberq NM, then to Grand Canyon, up to SLC UT and then into Yellowstone.

At 10.5 mpg fuel stops are also a concern for me with the new TT. TV has 26 gallon tank, and it looks like around 200 miles I better find a gas station! Which raises my other concern about gas stations being able to accomodate TV and TT.

Thanks for your comments
Don't let that bother you. Use truck stops for fuel fills in unknow area's. I pull for 10.5 hours a day. I cover 600 per day
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Go to Transfer Flow's website. They have several configurations for both gas and diesel. I have a hard cover on my bed, so I went with the tank that replaces the factory 26 gal tank with a steel 47 gal. tank. Be sitting down. They ain't cheap..
Thanks for the info.

I'll have to study the catalog to better understand the options but I see they have an in-bed auxiliary 37 gallon tank that fits with the Truck Covers USA retractable... so that's encouraging. You're right... they ain't cheap.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #15

I will tow up to 700 miles a day, but I do make sure I'm well rested before I head out on the first day.
2008 Artic Cat 650 TRV

Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #16

We live in DFW and have made that tow a few times.

500 miles a day is doable but you'll be tired at the end of the day..

Expect to average 50 miles traveled per hour. 500 miles is 10 hours. 400 miles, 8 hours. That factor includes fuel stops.

In 2002 we did a 7,000 mile trip in 22 days.

I've towed 770 miles in a single day. NEVER again!

We routinely tow 400 miles in a day. I'd prefer to stay in the 250 to 350 miles in a day. That equates to 5 to 7 hours towing (remember the 50 miles in an hour rule).

We have towed a trailer with our 3 daughters through all the lower 48 states and 5 Canadian provinces. I've logged plenty of time behind the wheel towing.

My advice, go for it. Get as much rest as you can, when you can. Plan your fuel stops at truck stops like Flying J. They are RV friendly and easy(er) to get in and out of than regular gas stations. If you must get fuel at a regular station, look for the pumps on the ends and avoid the stations that require perpendicular entry.

You'll enjoy the trip. Don't let others frighten you.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #17

I have towed over 700 miles in a day (14 hours), and would not want to do that long of a trip again. 500 miles (10 hours) is do able for me, but I enjoy driving. Once drove from central CA to central PA in less that 2 and 1/2 days. If you don't enjoy driving 300 to 350 miles a day would be better. With stops for gas/restroom/fast food, we average 50 miles an hour on a long trip.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #18

When my wife and I were working the ten to twelve hour pull was common. Now we are retired and usually limit it to six or seven hours.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

That sounds crazy to me. I can drive for up to an hour before I start falling asleep, no matter how much sleep i've had. We always camp with 50 miles or so of the house, but then again Friday night and Sat. night is all the time I have.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #20

I am the only driver so I keep my travel distance to no more than 350 miles. On occasion I went further but was exhausted by the time we stopped for the night.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote