Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

The DVD player in the 2014 Jay Feather X17Z - Where are the hookups?

My wife and I just bought a new 2014 Jay Feather x17z and so far, we love it. I am new to this site and have been reading a lot of posts. This is a great site. My only question is, how is everyone (x17z owners) hooking up their television to the iRV entertainment system to use the DVD function? There are no RCA outlets installed in the TT to hook the television up to the iRV system. I noticed in the installation manual for the iRV system that there are A/V (RCA) jacks in the rear of the iRV system, but they are inaccessible because the iRV system is boxed in on all sides with cabinetry. I have a feeling that I will have to drill a hole in the side wall next to the iRV system and install a RCA wall plate to remedy this issue, or am I wrong? ANy assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #2

I cannot directly help you with where is the best place to drill the access hole to get the cables through. You can pull the radio fairly easily. The outside ring of the stereo face will pop off, and there are 4 square drive screws to remove to release the stereo. When you remove it, you might have the RCA cables back there. Here is a few pictures from the backside of ours. It is a rat’s nest!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5543.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	10050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5549.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	10051

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #3

Well, today I decided just to install a RCA wall plate jack so I can hook up an output from the iRV entertainment system. I order the parts from showmecables.com. I removed the iRV system from the cabinet. I was going to mount the RCA wall plate on the side wall to the left of the iRV system. After measuring the space there, it was very close and I didn't want to take the chance of cutting a hole and it not fitting. I decided to mount it on the bottom side of the cabinet below the iRV system. I used four wood screws to mount it to the cabinet. I have an A/V cable (red, white, yellow) connected inside the cabinet from the output on the back side of the iRV system to the inner side of the RCA wall plate. Then you just have to run an A/V cable from the RCA wall plate to the television.
I had contacted Jayco regarding this and their response was that because a television was not an option for the x17z, they do not install the hookup for the DVD player. That doesn't make much sense to me because they install a antenna, a 12v television outlet, cable/satellite hookups, and the trailer is advertised as having a DVD player, yet no access to function the DVD player. Jayco advised me that I could contact my dealer to have it hooked up. I love my Jayco trailer, but what are they thinking? I hope this may help anyone with the same issue.

I have attached a photo of the finished project.

Here are the parts to make up the RCA wall plate:

Order Summary

Part Number Description Qty Unit Price Ext. Price
IC107DI3BK Keystone Decora Insert - 3 Port – Black 1 $1.56 $1.56
IC107B6GBK RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - White Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107Y6GBK ICC RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - Yellow Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107R6GBK RCA F/F Coupler Keystone - Red Insert - Black 1 $3.41 $3.41
IC107DFSBK ICC Decora Wall Plate - Single Gang - Black 1 $1.46 $1.46
Total: $13.25
Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

We drilled a hole in the side panel by the DVD player and sent the cords thru to the tv.works and quite neat. Was recommended by dealer.
donnajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #5

Had the same dilemma -- how to get the DVD to work? Had not considered the obvious -- no external connections. Your solution seems simple enough and logical. Will give it a try -- thanks for your post.

The Cap'n
Cap&Mrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

We bought a TV/DVD combo.
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
We bought a TV/DVD combo.
Hmmm..... Even simlper!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Hmmm..... Even simlper!!
Until the DVD player in it dies. Been there done that. They use cheaper components in the "all-in-ones" to keep the prices down.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
My wife and I just bought a new 2014 Jay Feather x17z and so far, we love it. I am new to this site and have been reading a lot of posts. This is a great site. My only question is, how is everyone (x17z owners) hooking up their television to the iRV entertainment system to use the DVD function? There are no RCA outlets installed in the TT to hook the television up to the iRV system. I noticed in the installation manual for the iRV system that there are A/V (RCA) jacks in the rear of the iRV system, but they are inaccessible because the iRV system is boxed in on all sides with cabinetry. I have a feeling that I will have to drill a hole in the side wall next to the iRV system and install a RCA wall plate to remedy this issue, or am I wrong? ANy assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I am considering buying the x17z! Can you tell what you paid?
Thanks kepami
kepami03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Hmmm..... Even simlper!!
I already had a small television and did not want to buy a combo tv/dvd player when the trailer had a dvd player in it. I wanted to use what I paid for. Just sayin'...
Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #11

On my 2014 Jayco 197. I had the same issue. Thanks!!
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Jayco really dropped the ball on my X17A....my TV locations, although it has 2, are on the other side of the trailer

No way I can run anything from my IRV.

Mind you I have no interest in installing a TV so it doesn't matter but it is the principal and lack of thought that irritates me
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #13

Does anyone know if the 2015 X213 has the same issue?
lchalmers is offline   Reply With Quote