Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

New Braunfels Recommendations?

Anyone have any recommendations for where to stay along the river in New Braunfels, Texas? There are dozens of private campgrounds, but not sure which ones we should consider staying at.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

Never been there but next door neighbor told me they stayed at River Ranch and they really liked it. That is the best I can do. WE were thinking about going there one of these years, so I will be watching this thread.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

A very good friend of mine who lives in San Marcos swears by River Ranch RV Resort and states that most of the CG's in the "area" are good but River Ranch is the best.

We plan on taking our boys to Schlitterbahn Water park and tubing down the Guadalupe in July and my wife wants to hit the outlet malls in San Marcos...

He has told me that there are a few that face the river and make for an enjoyable time when relaxing at the campsite.
tanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #4

Never been there, but +1 for River Ranch. My neighbor says it's the place to stay.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. That I was one I had disregarded due to its location under the interstate.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
Thanks for the info. That I was one I had disregarded due to its location under the interstate.
If you read the reviews, that is one of the big negatives. It is literally right under I-35 (the I-35 corridor is CRAZY busy, especially in that area). I'm thinking I would look elsewhere more up river. I think my neighbor may have been talking about somewhere else...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #7

Camp anywhere along River Road. There are several options. During the summer it can get real busy so be prepared. River Ranch RV is right under the interstate but it very convenient to everything. Schlitterbahn is a few miles away, many shops, restaurants, etc. I haven't stayed there but I don't think you can go wrong. If you want to float the Guadalupe, head into Gruene and go with Rockin R. They have shuttles, etc. This time of year though and with the drought, I would highly recommend the Comal River.
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #8

Just as an update, we ended up staying at Riverside Resort just below the Canyon Lake dam. Arrived mid week and the few campers that were there look pretty permanent but as the weekend approached the vacationers showed up.

Overall it is a little on the the dusty side due to all sites and roads being gravel. On the weekends local outfitters drive shuttles at least hourly through the campground picking up tubers which is handy but doesn't help the dust. About half or more of the sites are nicely shades. The biggest selling point and the reason we stayed was the close proximity to the whitewater amphitheater. They offer a shuttle for $5 a person or you can do as we did and walk the 1.25 miles.

Wouldn't be high on my list of places to stay unless I had tickets for a concert, but was great for that. Oh, don't let the name fool you. River is not far away but there is no river access from the park.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
Just as an update, we ended up staying at Riverside Resort just below the Canyon Lake dam. Arrived mid week and the few campers that were there look pretty permanent but as the weekend approached the vacationers showed up.

Overall it is a little on the the dusty side due to all sites and roads being gravel. On the weekends local outfitters drive shuttles at least hourly through the campground picking up tubers which is handy but doesn't help the dust. About half or more of the sites are nicely shades. The biggest selling point and the reason we stayed was the close proximity to the whitewater amphitheater. They offer a shuttle for $5 a person or you can do as we did and walk the 1.25 miles.

Wouldn't be high on my list of places to stay unless I had tickets for a concert, but was great for that. Oh, don't let the name fool you. River is not far away but there is no river access from the park.
Thanks for the update! I'm always looking for peoples' impressions of where they stay. It gives me a really good idea as to whether I'll like it or not.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

My in laws stay at Hill Country RV Resort all winter. They love the CG. One note, they are staying in a park model, which they say is very nice. So, there is no information about the RV sites but they love the CG - stuff to do, nice people.

http://www.hillcountryrvresortnb.com/index.php
Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote