Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Grills

Took the 2015 Touring Edition 31.5BHTS on her maiden voyage over the weekend. Had a great time, wife and kids love the camper, and aside from the antenna crank coming apart the first time it was touched, had no issues with anything not working.
That said, when I bought a camper that sleeps 8 and comes with an outdoor kitchen and grill, I was surprised to see that the grill was only large enough to cook for 2 people. Basically akin to the grill you can get at walmart for 15 to 20 bucks.
Does anyone know if there are other grills that would fit onto the grill mount that is included with the camper? Or if upgrades are available?

Thanks

jmcitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

I use mine at home and travel with a larger free standing portable one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Just go with a Jumbo Joe charcoal grill. Best way to cook while camping.

New camper: Eagle Touring 31.5 BHTS
Old camper: Jayflight 30.5 BHS
riddle family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Ditto on the antenna crank...

Our crank came off also. Must have been a Monday production unit.

Grills are a personal choice. I don't think that are any upgrades except for the bumper mounted ones that swing around. We use the outside 2-burner on the Eagle HT for cooking bacon, eggs, etc, the things that you don't want to cook inside. In my opinion, the outdoor stove/sink is kind of hokey on the Eagle HT units. Especially to the other outdoor kitchen set-ups I have seen.
I also wish it had a small 1 or 2 cubic foot refrigerator to keep beverages and snacks in. Anyway, back to the grill.

I keep looking for a good quality stainless steel grill that will replace the 2-burner and/or sink that will also allow the door to close. My next requirement is that the grill has to be easy to clean. We use a 10-year old Coleman camp grill (abt $79 at WallyWotld) now low profile and just slide a piece of foil under the burner and grill. Trouble is that it does poorly in terms of heat control and only has a single linear burner and you have to use a propane canister.

A few rigs ago, I had a steel Suburban grill that we were able to remove the regulator and connect to the outdoor quick connect. This worked pretty well until the burner and shell rusted out. I would go with that again, except that the profile is too high.

All of the stainless steel grills I have found so far have a high dome lid and are not very easy to clean. So I keep looking and hoping that the Coleman will last another year while I continue to look.

There may be a small infrared system out there somewhere that at least meets the "easy to keep clean" requirement. However, they are $$$$.

This probably didn't help you very much
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Changed out the grill on our WhiteHawk 30DSQB from the small grill that came with it to one that I bought at WalMart($138).....had to make a few changes....mounting post moved, regulator removed, and fittings changed to allow for the quick connect on the back of trailer....has worked great with much more room on grill as well as top rack....stores in front storage compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-06-25_14.56.10.jpg  

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle family View Post
Just go with a Jumbo Joe charcoal grill. Best way to cook while camping.
X2

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #7

Very interesting...My antenna crank fell off over the past weekend. Luckily enough, I carry a set of tool box with me. I used a small allen wrench and it is back on there but this time, way tight.

Anyway, our Touring Edition also came with a bumper mounted grill. I have never used it and in fact, it is currently listed for sale on craiglist.

I have been using Coleman RoadTrip LXE Propane Grill for a couple of years now. Very nice grill. It folds up nicely plus it has wheels to roll it around. But here is the best part, once I am done using it, I always clean it really good (the whole grill) with a scrubber and dish soap then hose it off as much as I want. It has NEVER disappointed me at all. Look at Amazon link below;

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-9949-7...=coleman+grill

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:43 AM   #8

I have a 2014 33BHTS and use a Camp Chef 3 burner grill with a 2 burner skillet and a BBQ box. I love that thing. My outdoor kitchen has a fridge for storage. I'm looking at building a swivel bumper mount for it and getting a hose to hook straight to TT lp quick connect.
mjcromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Changed out the grill on our WhiteHawk 30DSQB from the small grill that came with it to one that I bought at WalMart($138).....had to make a few changes....mounting post moved, regulator removed, and fittings changed to allow for the quick connect on the back of trailer....has worked great with much more room on grill as well as top rack....stores in front storage compartment.
Hello jtownstumpjumper

I'm just got a new Jayco 21EXP and I would like to add a grill off the bumper like yours where did you get this?
toc9498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toc9498 View Post
Hello jtownstumpjumper

I'm just got a new Jayco 21EXP and I would like to add a grill off the bumper like yours where did you get this?

First...I added more pics of my grill that I changed to...it's an inexpensive grill from Walmart($138)....you'll have a lot of extra pieces that you will not use since you only use the grill.....our WhiteHawk came with a small bumper mounted grill and we found it to be too small....

In one pic you will see the bumper mount bar that's used...it came with the trailer...I did have to move one of the vertical pegs that the grill sits over to accommodate the new grill because it was slightly wider....

Next pic shows the end of the grill...... I had to bolt on a "T" mount piece that's on the side of the grill...it came off the small grill that came with the trailer...it's the piece that holds the grill onto the bar off the bumper....I also used the handles from the original grill.....

Next pic shows the connection...you will not use the regulator that comes with the WalMart grill because there is already a regulator on your trailer at the propane tanks....I have a quick connect hookup on the back of my trailer where the grill sits....I went to my local plumbing supply dealer and my local RV dealer and got fittings to connect the new grill to my quick connect hose that was supplied originally with our trailer.

We love the larger grill because the top rack allows for more cooking space...the smaller grill had a top rack but you couldn't put anything on it.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-06-26_09.47.52.jpg   2014-06-26_09.48.15.jpg   2014-06-26_09.49.30.jpg  

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #11

Thanks! this helps a lot!!!
toc9498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #12

I honestly dont know why anyone would want to use an RVQ or even attach a grill to the low pressure outlet, having to remove regulators...change ends. Just get yourself a decent grill and a 5, 10, or 20# bottle and not have to monkey around.
SWD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

Nice
Looks like the way to go, the BBQ supplied are way too small if more than 2 people. Your picture will help me make the changes for a larger grill.

"Grandpas are like Dads except with no rules"
Gesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #14

It's small weber Q for us lining foil under burner..but recently bought 1970s style cast iron small hibachi..you know the one with two small adjustable grills..im thinking chunks of goodies on sticks and singing a don Ho song..maybe "Tiny bubbles".. kidding aside..any charcoal grill tastes better to me!
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:41 AM   #15

my mod
harleysandtattoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #16

Harley and Tats, How did you mount your grill? also did you plumb it into the camper gas supply line ? thanks
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

i took the legs and wheels off,drilled hole in bottom tray of the grill snd through the bar snd ran a bolt down through with a wing nut
Old 08-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #18

yes i removed the regulator and keep the brass fitting ,added a 1/8 to 1/4 gas fitting,and then the quick connect
Old 08-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #19

Just can't believe all the ingenuity of the folks on this forum!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecampingcat View Post
It's small weber Q for us lining foil under burner..but recently bought 1970s style cast iron small hibachi..you know the one with two small adjustable grills..im thinking chunks of goodies on sticks and singing a don Ho song..maybe "Tiny bubbles".. kidding aside..any charcoal grill tastes better to me!
X2 on the charcoal! We carry an Aussie Walkabout grille for that reason.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote