Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Plumbing Vent

My third trip with the new trailer. We are at the beach site now. Ever since new the toilet has stunk really bad. We have been wondering what is going on. I will be bringing it in for service in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I have already tried to flush the system twice before this trip. I found out after the first trip that something is wrong with the flush system - connect the hose and water doesn't seem to go anywhere. After 30 seconds I see water coming out of the bottom of the trailer behind the corrugated plastic.

Now we are here camping, I climbed up on the roof to look at the vent. It looks like the cap doesn't leave any room for the smell to escape the plumbing line. I put my head down as far as I can to see if there is any space between the two and can't see up far enough. I can feel around and really don't feel any gap at all.

I am on my phone so I can't post a picture right now, but my vent is the type with three plastic legs on the cap. I assume that under the roof caulk that there are screws holding it down. I can't remove the cap because I don't have any caulk to replace the old stuff with.

My trailer is brand new - 2014 32 BHDS.

Has anyone heard of the cap being connected or too close to the plumbing vent to allow the gases to escape? My initial thought was something might be clogging the line, but now I think this cap is the real problem.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Mine looks the same. Hard to see any openings.

I think Vents are to allow air into the tank so it can drain properly, not specifically to vent Oder.

I'm assuming you are using a quality chemical in your tank after each dump?

You should allow the black tank to fill, before you dump, eg... Keep the black tank drain valve closed until almost full, or ready to depart, then Add a few gallons on water and more chemicals

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

the same thing happened with my blank tank flusher. water would drip out the bottom of the plastic in several spots. dealer tightened up the connection and had to replace some insulation under there. 2014 model as well. My tank still is stinky when I flush the toilet. I think I'll add a bit more chemical and water after next dump.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #4

Hey Nuny,
Sounds like your flusher isn't connected properly. If the flush line isn't connected at all perhaps that's the source of the odor. In any case the water draining from the belly covering isn't right. When you dump the black you get flow thru the slinky, right? If the roof vent was blocked I'd expect some "glugging" as the black tries to empty (like turning a full liter coke bottle upside down) maybe even sucking air thru the toilet bowl - ask someone to watch the head when you open the black drain.
Use a mirror to see the underside of the vent. I'll bet it's ok tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #5

One think to consider (or maybe overlooked) is turning off the ceiling exhaust fan before flushing the toilet. If your black water tank vent (the one on the roof) is working properly the fan WILL suck fumes from the toilet when the valve opens. If you have a Fantastic fan it will pull a LOT of air from the black tank.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

Update - I haven't tested it yet, but my roof was just replaced and they found the vent tube was cut incorrectly as I expected limiting the vent to the black tank. Hopefully this will keep the odor down.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Wow, the roof had to be replaced! What was up with that? Hope the vent issue has been sorted out. Let us know.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #8

I have a different thread for the roof, but basically I bought the trailer new in May, took it to the dealer for some minor warranty stuff and as they were doing an initial inspection found a bulge on the roof under the liner. I guess a few of the rafters had either broken or come loose. They said usually the liner will tear when they try to remove it, and that is exactly what happened. Luckily I was done with my trips for a few months.

I pray that the vent touching the cap on top of the roof was the issue with the smell. It was pushing on that cap. I will post the results after our next trip.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I found out after the first trip that something is wrong with the flush system - connect the hose and water doesn't seem to go anywhere. After 30 seconds I see water coming out of the bottom of the trailer behind the corrugated plastic.
This could be caused from a defective back-flow preventer. That's exactly what mine did however this happened to me after 1-1/2 years. RV manufacturers use the cheapest check valves they can find and this is a common problem across the rv industry.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

I forgot to update that - They said it was loose on the inside and they fixed it. The trailer is back getting additional stuff worked on, so I haven't been able to verify it works now.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

Sounds like you was able to get all of this repaired at no cost to you. This could have very easily gone on past warranty time...

count your blessing here...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote