Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Question Jayco Trailer came from factory with underrated wheels?

Howdy,

I recently purchased a 2006 Jay Series 1206 camping trailer from the original owner. They family hadn't used it in a few years and the factory tires are in need of replacing due to the usual aging and lack of use (sidewall cracking). The GVWR of the 1206 is 3450 lb and the vehicle was equiped with the correct size and load range tires (185 80 13 load range D) but I have noticed that the rims are stamped with a max load of 1660 lb which matches what Dexstar has on their website as the highest their 13" wheels are rated for http://www.dexstarwheel.com/products.html#changer So technically speaking, my trailer came with wheels that are designed for less load than Jayco approved the trailer for, as far as I can tell. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Seems like there must be an explanation besides "Jayco didn't do their homework".

-David
MojaveDesertDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Your situation is not unique, in fact it is pretty much the norm. They assume a certain amount of weight will be on the tongue, 10 to 15%, which in turn will be on your vehicle and not the wheels/tires/axles. Example, my TT has a GVWR of 7500 lbs. but the axles are only rated 7,000 lbs. My tongue weight is approx 900-1,000 lbs. I for one am a believer that the tires/wheels/axles SHOULD be capable of carrying the entire GVWR, but that just is not the case on many trailers today.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

I agree with others, that is quite common since the factory calculations assume the Pin / Hitch weight portion of the total weight is not on the tires.

Our previous Jayco Eagle 5th 251RLS Wheel was the exception.

It was rated at 9,800 lbs GVW, had 5,000 lb axles under it and tires rated at 2,650 lbs per tire.

Our current Pinnacle has a GVW of 14,950 lbs, it has 7,000 lb axles but the factory installed tires that are only rated at 3,420 lbs so the axle GVW on the label was reduced to 6,800 lbs because of the tires.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

Thank you for the insight, gentlemen!

By the same logic why not use LRC tires instead of LRD's? I guess I'm just not used to operating with so little margin. I'm an "I love margin" guy which might have just a teeny bit to do with being a safety engineer. Might also have a bit to do with the work I'm doing on the trailer right now:

The surge brake actuator was totally corroded inside and what fluid had been left in the reservoir when I bought it was gone 100 miles later after I got it home, having leaked out through the driver side drum actuator so Mr. Margin here orders electric brakes to retrofit rather than worry about sleeping soundly at night with rusty surge brakes. Same thing with the tires, I want to KNOW what I have on my rig is safe rather than try and wring another year or two out of the tires. Same thing with the hitch. I CAN tow with the full tongue weight on the hitch but decided that a WDH was the way to go, and so on.

You guys think my array of 4 group 29 deep-cycle batteries will be enough to dry-camp overnight in that 1206? :hihi:
MojaveDesertDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveDesertDave View Post

You guys think my array of 4 group 29 deep-cycle batteries will be enough to dry-camp overnight in that 1206? :hihi:

I would think it would be plenty. The biggest drain on the batteries is the furnace fan, and even that would not kill 4 in one night. But for expert opinions you may want to post a new thread asking that question.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveDesertDave View Post
Thank you for the insight, gentlemen!
By the same logic why not use LRC tires instead of LRD's? I guess I'm just not used to operating with so little margin. I'm an "I love margin" guy which might have just a teeny bit to do with being a safety engineer. Might also have a bit to do with the work I'm doing on the trailer right now:
Mine came with LRC tires and, yes, their combined weight rating is less than the max weight of the trailer. I figure I'll use them for a year and then upgrade.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Don't forget to subtract the tongue wt from the max weight your rig weighs. The tongue of your tow vehicle bears some of that max weight.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't forget to subtract the tongue wt from the max weight your rig weighs. The tongue of your tow vehicle bears some of that max weight.
Unless you use a WDH. Then half of the tongue weight does go back to the TT axles.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
Unless you use a WDH. Then half of the tongue weight does go back to the TT axles.
Not exactly.

A weigh distributing hitch transfers some of the tongue weight to the trailer axles and to the steer wheels of the tow vehicle.

1/2 of the weight transferred to the trailer axles is extremely optimistic, and not realistic.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Not exactly.

A weigh distributing hitch transfers some of the tongue weight to the trailer axles and to the steer wheels of the tow vehicle.

1/2 of the weight transferred to the trailer axles is extremely optimistic, and not realistic.
That's correct. I did an edit to say some going to TT axle some to rear tv axle and some to front tv axle.

My only point was you cannot subtract all of the tongue weight from total weight on TT axle.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
Site Team

You are all correct, I was just wanting to make the point that we all know. You can not compute it exactly. A trip to a cat scale would be a good starting place to figure what to do about it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Hmm. I didn't realize the WDH transferred some tongue weight back to the trailer. I'll have to check into this further. I may have to accelerate the new tire purchase.

Even though my trailer is fairly light I added a WDH to help compensate for the relatively weak springs in my TV. That part works like a champ. I got a chill when I picked up the trailer, the tech lowered the trailer onto the ball and the TV didn't drop even a fraction of an inch.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #13

Thought I would ask Jayco for suggestions on possible upgrades for my situation.

Here's my question to Jayco:
"The tires/wheels that came on my trailer have a load capacity less than the gross weight of the trailer. I understand the difference is assumed to be included in the tongue weight.

I am using a weight distributing hitch due to the relatively soft springing of my tow vehicle, a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Because of the WDH and Arizona's summer temperatures I would like to increase the tire's capacities for an extra safety margin.

What does Jayco suggest in this case? Choices I see include increasing to an ST185/R13 load range C, a load range D tire or upgrade to a 14 wheel. Suggestions?"

And their response:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Jayco. Because Jayco has not done any type of testing in regards to any tire size other then the ST175/80R 13 C we cannot make any type of recommendation in regards to the modification of the tires. I can only suggest you speak to your local tire professional, Lippert Components, the frame manufacturer or Dexter Axle the axle manufacturer.

I am sorry I do not have an answer for your question today. If we can be of service to you in other ways in the future, please feel free to contact us again at your convenience."