Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Storage pad ?'s

DW and I were out this past weekend and stopped at a CG to check it out for a possible future destination and noticed this method of building the site pads. Appears inexpensive (well, somewhat) and appearance wise is ok, and fairly easy to build, but I wonder about the long term durability of this method.

Here's a couple pics of some of the sites, one site was built up approximately 2' above the ground, another was even higher at about 3' I would guess. I'm considering this for a GH 31SS, but would not need more than a foot of material to make a level storage pad for the 31SS.

The first two pics are of the same CG site, full hookups and large enough for the biggest Class C made or possibly a class A. The 3rd pic is the one where the site is built up 3' based on the size of boards (2x10 or 2x12).

Anyone built a storage pad using this method, pros and cons of it, etc. ??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Man, that looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It looks too easy to take a header off of one of those pads, especially in the dark. I would not recommend it.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
Man, that looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. It looks too easy to take a header off of one of those pads, especially in the dark. I would not recommend it.
I was thinking the same. What a pain to get into or out of the site.
The only other thing I can think of is they are planning to add decks.
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

If you where building up a small wall at home for a pad to store the TT level, no issue. It would be like a retaining wall on any old hill. At that CG, I would be concerned about a trip/fall hazard with a lawsuit to follow. Back to your question. I build a 1 foot retaining wall at the base of my hill a few years back. It worked just fine. Make sure to use foundation grade (.6+) pressure treated lumber. Do not use standard .4 pressure treated, it will not hold up as long. I did mine with the boards standing vertically and made a jig to drill a hole near the top of each one to insert a piece of rebar to keep all the wood in perfect alignment, for years to come. It has been 7-10 years and I have had no issues with frost heaves or rotting yet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #5

For storage this looks OK if your storage spot is not level. I'm not clear on what the purpose of this in a CG is. That site site would be on my "do not use" list in a heartbeat.

We keep our trailer next to our garage on a gravel pad bordered with landscape timbers. Well under $200 for the entire thing and no worries about about how it will hold up. But we also have level ground for it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

IF I WOULD BUILD A PAD FOR RV #1 IT WOULD NOT BE SO HIGH #2 I WOULD USE RAILROAD TIES WITH AT LEAST 3' OF REBAR DROVE INTO IT , YOU CAN ALREADY SEE THAT THEY ARE USING STAKES TO PROP IT UP , AND IT IS PROBABLY NOT THAT OLD JUST MY TWO
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #7

Why? Does this campground flood on occasion?
Old 10-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #8

That is an odd configuration. I would call and ask them why they are built that way. They might have a good reason we're missing. But I would also share the concerns (politely) of the other posters, because I wouldn't use it either.

The photos show other sites without the build up. Ask for one of those.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

Seems like a very unusual way to build such a high retaining wall for that kind of weight. There isn't much substance holding the wall back from the weight of the gravel and trailer...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

Pad for the Melbourne

We built this to store the motorhome while its at home. Railroad ties and fence to hide everything behind it. Four ties at the lowest point.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1056.jpg   IMG_1057.jpg   IMG_1298.jpg   IMG_1299.jpg   IMG_1300.jpg  

rcdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

I built my "storage lane" for my trailer so it could sit out of the way, out of the grass and level. I used retaining wall blocks as I only had to go up 18". Then filled will compacted fill dirt and covered with about 4-6" of crushed concrete. Looks great and functions well. The only thing I don't care for is I built it extra wide (slide plus trailer width, plus 3 extra feet because it sits along garage and roof overhang) and I still wish I made it wider for the steps. Now we have to walk on the grass to the steps, and step up the wall and the steps.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #12

I was only asking if anyone had built a parking/storage pad similar to the pictures I posted, and the long term durability of this method. No I would not build one that high either for the weight associated with a Class C or A. The overall layout of this CG was sloping or had some low spots, so they utilized this method to raise the pads up. Some I would not use either, especially the higher ones. Some pads had decks on 'em so I can only assume additional decks would be added at a later time by the CG.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote