Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Winter Camping - Still need to Winterize??

I am a fairly new travel trailer owner. This will be my first winter with our trailer. We will be camping/using our trailer most if not every weekend over the winter (it stays at our farm/hunting property), to what extent do we need to winterize it? Will it need to be winterized every time we leave and then "opened" back up every time we are back up for the weekend? Are there any short cuts that can be used without compromising any of the lines or systems?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Just for information .. at the property where it is set up it can be left plugged into A/C power and to a "city" water line.

Thanks again.
Dalris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:41 AM   #2

You should be OK if you can leave an electric heater running to keep the inside temperature above 40 degrees as measured at floor level. Leave any cabinet doors open where plumbing lines run. Disconnect and drain your water hose and regulator. Remove the outside shower hose if so equipped. Empty your holding tanks.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #3

No safe way to do this in the midwest unless you can run to the RV in a pinch if temps dip below freezing or worse. the mentioned precautions will do the job most of the time, but if the power goes out or a breaker trips you will be in trouble. If there is a friend on site who can keep up with things when your not there you would generally be ok, but as the winter goes on and the temps drop like in Jan/Feb, I would winterize and use water jugs for drinking/cooking and to flush the toilet. I would drain the water heater and use the bypass. A full winterize only takes 15 minutes or so once you get into a routine so if colder winter weather is predicted I would take the time. Frozen and burst lines is an expensive repair in an RV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

As mentioned above there are several issues with this. One that was not mentioned though, even if running a heater inside the unit, that will not put any heat below the floor to keep the lines from freezing down there.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote