Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2014, 05:29 AM   #1

Water fill tubes

Hey all....we are looking at buying a new Jayco Journey......one of the options is to have a tank level monitor installed....now these are useful but I am not a fan of drilling holes in tanks especially if there is five of them for the five probes etc..........

Are the water fill tubes on new Jayco's clear ??

If so couldnt I just see the level in the tubes ??

I would have to go outside of course and kneel down but thats OK...
thehillfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #2

Here in the states the fill tubes are not viewable, since the "country" fill (or gravity fill inlet) is molded into the sidewall.

The tank monitors here in the US are a system of electronic contacts that are indeed drilled into and sealed along the tank sidewall. These are standard equipment on every camper I've ever known about.

We need to fill the tank, then go inside the coach to activate the monitor. These are somewhat inaccurate, since we only get "full", "2/3”, "1/3” and empty indicator lights.
The same type of system is also installed in the waste holding tanks, and those are even more notoriously inaccurate due to the solids usually found in those tanks.

Frankly, a clear viewing manometer-style tube would be brilliant! But the U.S. market would never allow for such a functional, accurate, simple and elegant solution to the problem of tank levels. Is appears the U.S. market much prefers form over function.

That jayco journey looks like a fantastic rig! And add the "outback package" you've got what appears to be a very capable and functional rig.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote