Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

New motor home

Just traded my Jayco Ultra Lite for the Redhawk 31XL.

Looking for a vehicle tow dolly, so i can tow my Honda CRV or my daughter's Honda Civic.

Any suggestions?

Should get the motorhome next week
fishguy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new Redhawk.

Can't help with your dolly question, sorry.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

thanks

Thanks for the congrats!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Congratulations on the Redhawk!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #5

Congrats on the new MH
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

i have a master tow dolly, i can tow both my 2013 civiic and my acura rdx( actually a fancy crv) i have a 2015 red hawk 29, works great on both vehicles , the master tow with wiring and surge breaks runs about 1500.00 great customer service
walkingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

I have flat towed a vehicle and towed with a master tow and now use an "Acme" tow dolly made in Winston-Salem NC. I really prefer to flat tow. We towed with an Airstream class A, using the aluminum Blue Ox tow bar and the brake buddy brake system. Loved it. We now have a Red Hawk and our current vehicles are not flat towable. We first bought a new heavy duty Mastertow with surge brakes and regular brake shoes. It was good, but not great. I sold it and bought a new Acme tow dolly. I love how the Acme tows. It has disc brakes with surge, and in my opinion, pulls better than the Mastertow did.

Isn't your SUV flat towable? Flat towing is much easier an using a dolly, and quicker to hook up or unhook.

Having owned and used both brands of heavy duty tow dollies, I recommend the Acme one.

Good luck on your choice.

Steve
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

I get my Redhawk 31XL one week from today! I order an ACME tow dolly. I do not believe my CRV is flat towable.

Thanks to all for their congrats and advice!

Dave S
Palm Bay, FL
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

This is my first MH and it looks like with my TV 4 on the ground is not an option. The tow dolly's I've seen so far range from $1,200 all the way to $4,000. What determines which one I need, or is best for my application. I have an old Ford Escape that I want to drag around and am considering the Acme as I've read good things, but wondering what is causing others to spend $2,500 more on another dolly. Do they do something the Acme doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevefaync View Post
I have flat towed a vehicle and towed with a master tow and now use an "Acme" tow dolly made in Winston-Salem NC. I really prefer to flat tow. We towed with an Airstream class A, using the aluminum Blue Ox tow bar and the brake buddy brake system. Loved it. We now have a Red Hawk and our current vehicles are not flat towable. We first bought a new heavy duty Mastertow with surge brakes and regular brake shoes. It was good, but not great. I sold it and bought a new Acme tow dolly. I love how the Acme tows. It has disc brakes with surge, and in my opinion, pulls better than the Mastertow did.

Isn't your SUV flat towable? Flat towing is much easier an using a dolly, and quicker to hook up or unhook.

Having owned and used both brands of heavy duty tow dollies, I recommend the Acme one.

Good luck on your choice.

Steve

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

My Acme Tow Dolly was delivered today and i pickup the JAYCO Redhawk 31xl tomorrow afternoon! Have a training session at 2pm to learn everything about it
Old 01-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
This is my first MH and it looks like with my TV 4 on the ground is not an option. The tow dolly's I've seen so far range from $1,200 all the way to $4,000. What determines which one I need, or is best for my application. I have an old Ford Escape that I want to drag around and am considering the Acme as I've read good things, but wondering what is causing others to spend $2,500 more on another dolly. Do they do something the Acme doesn't?

I have owned a 2012 master tow (the heavy duty one with surge brakes and extra tie down chains) and now own a 2014 Acme with surge brakes. They haul the same amount of weight. The Master tow brakes are drum, the Acme are disc. The master tow tilts and swivels, the Acme is a solid frame that does not tilt or swivel. The ramps stay put on the master tow, they come off for travel on the Acme. The removable ramps can ride on the tongue, but I just throw them in the back of the van. The master tow is held together at the swivel point with one large bolt & nut. Our Master tow was used just about 1000 miles in total. That was 4 trips with the van on it. It clunked and squeaked and made noises that bothered me the entire time. I sold it. The Acme tows fine, and really has effective brakes that apply more stopping power the harder I try to stop with the motorhome.

After owning them both, and they were both very similar in setup and accesories, I totally love the Acme dolly and can not recommend the master tow. Many people love their Master Tow. They probably have not been able to compare it to the Acme. Whichever tow dolly you get, I recommend the one with brakes.

Electric brakes require a brake controller, surge brakes do not. They are activated by the weight of the dolly and hauled vehicle pushing against the tow hitch of the towing vehicle. The harder you try to stop the towing vehicle, the harder the surge brakes are applied on the dolly.

Good luck with which ever one you decide on.

I don't know anything about other brands and so cannot comment on them.

Steve
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #12

Awesome, fishguy2014!

We picked our Redhawk up in Tampa back in April 2014. We bought a different camper in 2012 from the same company, but took delivery of it in Orlando. They were very good with the walk through at both places. My wife video recorded both deliveries. We also took many pictures, so we had photos of everything.

There was a dent in the outside roof ladder that we did not notice when we did the walk through / delivery. I noticed it a week later, and went to the video and the pictures to see if it was there already. It was there during delivery, so I called the Tampa dealership from North Carolina and explained the issue. They drop shipped me a brand new ladder from Jayco and said that I could have anybody I wanted install it and they would pay for it. It worked out wonderfully.

The only thing that had to be addressed during delivery was one of the small wide angle mirrors mounted with the big rear view mirrors was upside down. They fixed it while I was there.

Happy Camping and Congratulations on your new rig.

Steve
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Quote:
I have owned a 2012 master tow (the heavy duty one with surge brakes and extra tie down chains) and now own a 2014 Acme with surge brakes. They haul the same amount of weight. The Master tow brakes are drum, the Acme are disc. The master tow tilts and swivels, the Acme is a solid frame that does not tilt or swivel. The ramps stay put on the master tow, they come off for travel on the Acme. The removable ramps can ride on the tongue, but I just throw them in the back of the van. The master tow is held together at the swivel point with one large bolt & nut. Our Master tow was used just about 1000 miles in total. That was 4 trips with the van on it. It clunked and squeaked and made noises that bothered me the entire time. I sold it. The Acme tows fine, and really has effective brakes that apply more stopping power the harder I try to stop with the motorhome.

After owning them both, and they were both very similar in setup and accesories, I totally love the Acme dolly and can not recommend the master tow. Many people love their Master Tow. They probably have not been able to compare it to the Acme. Whichever tow dolly you get, I recommend the one with brakes.

Electric brakes require a brake controller, surge brakes do not. They are activated by the weight of the dolly and hauled vehicle pushing against the tow hitch of the towing vehicle. The harder you try to stop the towing vehicle, the harder the surge brakes are applied on the dolly.

Steve
This was very helpful.
Thank you Sir...

Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #14

i.e. = Acme is about 380 lbs and roadmaster is 620 and 545 lbs.
Acme can be stood on end. Roadmaster ???
Acme uses Hydraulic “Disc” Brake
Roadmaster uses Electric brake system

I myself am in a bit of a quandary. I see that most toads are becoming less and less available for towing 4 down. It seems that within the next 5 years or so the only thing left to tow 4 down will be the Jeep Wangler ! Not everyone wants to drive a Jeep Wrangler (believe it or not!) And not all Jeeps are able to town 4 down!

Eventually all the "old" cars (i.e. CRV's etc) will be junked! So, does one spend $3K plus now for hardware Plus $$ for new car just to have "4 down"?

Just saying .......

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
i.e. = Acme is about 380 lbs and roadmaster is 620 and 545 lbs.
Acme can be stood on end. Roadmaster ???
Acme uses Hydraulic “Disc” Brake
Roadmaster uses Electric brake system

I myself am in a bit of a quandary. I see that most toads are becoming less and less available for towing 4 down. It seems that within the next 5 years or so the only thing left to tow 4 down will be the Jeep Wangler ! Not everyone wants to drive a Jeep Wrangler (believe it or not!) And not all Jeeps are able to town 4 down!

Eventually all the "old" cars (i.e. CRV's etc) will be junked! So, does one spend $3K plus now for hardware Plus $$ for new car just to have "4 down"?

Just saying .......
Agreed. None of my vehicles are capable of 4 on the ground, so tow dolly is my only means; and unless there is a con to the Acme that I haven't heard yet, that's the way to for me...

Old 01-30-2015, 05:11 AM   #16

We have a acme and it tows and stops great
Attached Thumbnails
20140519_120236.jpg  
moonraker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM   #17

Quote:

Steve
Steve, I'm considering making my first MH purchase (Looking at Greyhawk 31DS). Part of my research has been on Dolly's, and specifically this Acme unit. I thought all the things that you confirmed in this great and concise email. Just wanted to say Thanks for this great insight!
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 PM   #18

You are most welcome.

Happy hunting on the new MH.

Steve