Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #21

We had a 2011 Forest river 21SS hybrid, our first trailer. The place we bought it Wilkins RV in bath NY did not return our call when we asked about trading it in. Then we tried Camping world outside Syracuse NY and they also did not return our calls. Then we stopped in Jims RV in Nichols NY and looked at a few campers and looked at a 29 RLDS first but then when we seen the 33 RLDS were blown away by the amount of space in the living area. The 3rd slide between the bath and bedroom was the clincher. Plus they gave us fair trade on the hybrid.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #22

DW is much sharper than I am when it comes to knowing what will suit us and recognizing what are good and bad features for us. We looked at a lot of floorplans at a lot of dealerships, and when we got into a 320RLDS with its positioning of the chairs, the tv location, the center hallway with separate room for the toilet, the full width closet and room on both sides of the mattress so it could be made up easily, she wanted it. Fortunately, it was a Jayco product, one that I thought would be a reasonably good quality product. Unfortunately, the dealership was not one with a good reputation for service after the sale.

After that it was mainly a matter of finding a good dealer and an affordable price. We found both, but a thousand miles away! It's worked out just fine, but I'd hesitate to buy that far away again in case the camper needed warranty work. Ours didn't, just two very minor matters that most guys would take care of themselves.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #23

Well, if Jayco was really smart, they would be following this post and using it for customer testimonials. We are on our third Jayco by the way. Had a 2001, 2010, and now a 2014 Jayco 33.5RETS. This is the only unit we have had any problems whatsoever with and they were taken care of very quickly in our first couple of camping trips. We have been in this unit for a year now and go out every month. We just love it. The customer service and two year warranty were the deal breakers for me. Just love my dealer and the service I have gotten. And this rig just looks beautiful. Turns heads in every campground and people come over and ask questions. Can't go wrong with a Jayco. IMHO!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #24

This is our second Jayco. First one not one problem. This one...well, ....
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #25

Looked at a ton of campers and really liked the fit and finish of Jayco! I liked the floorplan layouts, the 5/8" tongue and groove plywood, Magnum truss roof, solid wood cabinet doors, huge fresh water storage and most of all our dealer is a small family owned company and is phenomenal to deal with! If anyone wants to know who they are PM me.

Our Jayco's for the most part have been problem free. I had to have the slide adjusted and black water tank nut tightened but other than that it is just routine maintenance.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #26

First unit was a Keystone. While I did not bring it back for warranty the 2 years we owned it there were issues like the ceiling panel coming undone and bowing down, cabinet doors falling off and the floor bowing as you walked.

Started research on variuos models in the 5'er market and was down to FR or Jayco. Floorplans were similar, but I did not feel the quality was truly there like on the Jayco. Plus FR was extra for every option it seemed where Jayco packaged it all and was giving it for free at that time. Counter tops, aluminum wheels, power vents, upgraded AC and so on. That unit had minor issues at best which were all component related and not one structural issue. I think 3 to be exact and one was a switch.

Enter number 2 Jayco and while this has been a good unit, it has had a few more issues with components. As tecnology evolves, so do the campers and with that comes more issues. The more electrical components we put into the units the more that can go wrong.

Overall I think Jayco builds a top notch trailer structurally, it's just the Chinese junk parts we depend on keep failing and all the manufacturers use these parts in one brand or another.

I will echo that a good dealer is going to make you enjoy the experience much more regardless of brand so do your homework on that one!

Also my experience with Jayco both directly and through my dealer has been excellent on the warranty issues. They have stepped up on everything with no push back whatsoever.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #27

We bought our 1st Jayco mainly because there is value in a name. We were realative noobs and didn't recognize the names of any of the other TTs we could afford so Jayco was it. We didn't shop much. Our Jayco 264BH has been great albeit we only had it for a little more than a year. We are shopping for new tt and I have shopped for this tt more than anything else I have ever purchased and we are coming back to Jayco. Confidence and warranty kept us with Jayco. Probably pulling the trigger on a Whitehawk 27RBOK this coming week.
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #28

I did a lot of research on line about construction and price....and then when I saw the floor plan of the trailer I owned I was sold! The most living space in any unit I have saw.

The only regret I have is that I can not camp in it more!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
New to this forum after buying a 2012 198RD privately late August this year. Done research for over a month and we came to the conclusion we wanted a Jayco. Started to want a 195RD because of the weight but still ended up with the 198RD because of the tandem axle. It only had been used about 8 times for short 350 Km trips which meant it had less than 3000 km on the unit. Because of the 5900 LBS GVWR, It also meant the TV had to be upgraded. I pulled it home with a Ford Aerostar but the 160 HP seemed too small fighting those Alberta winds. At least the now 395 HP Hemi can handle the 100 km/hour wind after drinking a bit more.
As we have had several TT’s since the 70’s TT’s we always brought them up to my construction standards. I therefore did this also with the acquired 198RD. I found also some manufacturing related issues but what can you expect with the present mass production environment. This is a solid and well built unit and we both love it. It is also big enough with 3 small dogs.
We have used it for a couple of weeks on the road and tuned the WDH with sway control and it handles perfect with heavy head/side wind and passing trucks. Now we wish it was Easter to take the combo on the road again.
I also have all the specifications and manuals on all the accessories and have always serviced my own vehicles.
Jayco relies on suppliers too in the manufacturing process; they offer 2 year warranty no other manufacturer does.
After reading all the post on this forum; please keep your calm and just forward your problems in a kindly matter to Jayco so they can improve their quality standards. For small repairs take your own initiatives or the help of a good friend. By the way accessories are covert by each suppliers own warranty.
Dealers have more sales people (usual BSers) than they have qualified repair personnel, so expect things will not happen over night.
Well we watch for you Jayco owners on the road and campsites.
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
At least the now 395 HP Hemi can handle the 100 km/hour wind after drinking a bit more]
After being blown around in 45 mph crosswinds I'd drink a bit more before driving in 60 mph-ers!
'14 Denali XL
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #31

A good dealer means a lot to me and "Hopes Camper Corner" in Monroe, Louisiana is a super place to buy in fact we have purchased several from them. There is no pressure, they are very knowledgeable, they have a good repair shop, most of all honest. But on the other hand before I put our TT in our shop I wash it ever time we come home and at least 4 times a year I get on top and scrub it. The fact that the Jayco's roof is so strong I don't feel like I will fall though when washing it. Other dealers told me do not get on top.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #32

First had 1996 1406 tent trailer. Never a problem. Next we had a 2000 Qwest for 15 years. We did always maintain it - only trouble we had was stove did start leaking propane after 14 years! Every other system and seam and seal remained solid. (Traveled from Maine to Florida and Minnesota to Louisiana). Now have 2014 Swift 294 with good fit and finish and perfect floor plan. Only problem so far is - rather cheap shower head and faucet - cost to upgrade ~ $70.00. Would buy again tomorrow
Swift2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #33

EZ answer for me. Floor plan and the 2 year warranty.

2014 Jay Flight 24 FBS
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 Laramie MC Turbo Diesel
Wendy the Wife & Bailey the Lab
Tom_OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #34

Floor plan and quality. RV Consumer Group reviews and other reviews of other rigs convinced us that Jayco was the right way to go. Not perfect but lots of bang for the buck.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #35

Reputation and quality.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 AM   #36

my 1993 eagle 10 held up very well I spent a total of $300 on a single repair not bad for being over 20 years old so when I bought my tt I was sold on another Jayco based on the quality of the eagle 10
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #37

We bought our 1st camper (1996 Jayco Eagle 302 FK) in 2007 from a older couple who had bought the unit new and had just gotten too old to enjoy it anymore. The TT was more than what my '04 Tahoe could handle, and didn't have bunks for our 3 young kids, so we sold it after only 6 months and 5-10 nights spent in it. Then in the summer of 2008 we bought a 2008 Grey Wolf 26 BH from an insurance auction. The TT had been in a tornado and had been laid on it's side, but other than some cosmetic damage, there was no structural damage or leaks. We never had any problems with our Grey Wolf in the 6 1/2 years we've camped in it (other than normal wear and tear) but it was lacking in so many little things. I truly felt like I had traded my Cadillac in for a Ford Focus. I wish I had $1 for every time I've said, "I miss my Jayco". We have finally outgrown our Grey Wolf, and my husband was adamant that our next camper be fiberglass. So we went to our local dealer to price a new Jayco Eagle. Their best price was $10k over our budget, and the White Hawk didn't have the floorplans we want (island kitchen with bunk house) so we found ourselves researching other brands. Nothing compared to the quality, warranty, or fit and finish of a Jayco. Luckily I found a dealership that was able to get me in the camper I want at a price within my budget, even though it is 8 hours away.
Lessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #38

Lessmore, I hope you guys have as good an experience with your Eagle as we have with ours.
'14 Denali XL