Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Lee,

No-can-do, would have to dip into my summer around the campfire adult beverage fund.

Adult beverages are not allowed in Va or Md SP`s. Neither is firewood. But both items seem to find their way in, unnoticed
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Adult beverages are not allowed in Va or Md SP`s. Neither is firewood.....snip
I can for-go the adult beverage..., but lack of a campfire would give me withdrawal tremors!!

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
I can for-go the adult beverage..., but lack of a campfire would give me withdrawal tremors!!

They will sell you firewood, but its 4 to 5 bucks for 5 little pieces that burn up in minutes. Something about transporting the emerald ash borer insect is why bringing in non local firewood is banned. Of course mine is local, oak not ash, cut and stacked in a shed a year in advance, so I highly doubt there are any ash borers in it. Anyway with all the logging trucks here hauling wood everyday all over the place the point seems moot.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
...Also, as the trailer turns, one of the chains will transfer more force to the urethane springs (while trying to turn the ball), causing further resistance to the turn which adds to sway control. The action here is similar to the dual cam action of the Reese Dual Cam hitch...

After staring at the videos it appears that all the sway control comes from the weight equalization and the friction material between the ball shank and the hitch head (the videos showed no movement of the chain plate, which is locked to the ball and shank, in relationship to the tongue). It's possible that in extreme cases it could also work as above.

One of my concerns was the way the anchors for the chain/urethane spring assembly are clamped to the tongue frame. As someone here pointed out, there are set screws on the bottom of the clamps that are supposed to keep the clamps from shifting. If they go into a hole in the frame, I could see them keeping the clamps from shifting enough to be a problem (they might still cant a bit until both clamp bolts are wedged against the top and bottom of the frame). It wouldn't be that hard to either weld a couple of bars to the frame to prevent movement of the clamps or just drill it for some bolts alongside the clamps so that the bolt heads would prevent movement of the clamps.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #25

I'm in the market for a WD Hitch and have been considering Blue Ox or Equalizer before stumbling upon Andersen. I now, seem to be leaning toward an Andersen.

Question... Does anyone understand all of the different models of Anderson WDH? There are a dozen models listed on their website, apparently with different configurations of drop, ball size and bracket size... I'm assuming all of the chain lengths are standard, but can you adjust them at the hitch triangle? Also, anyone know the dimensions of the a jayco ultralite x213 a-frame? Not sure which bracket to buy. This might be a call to Andersen.

Picking up my new Jayco on April 1... Can't wait! Already have reservations at 3 campgrounds so far! It's going to be a good year!

-uprighter
Uprighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #26

When you can use Lego's to convey a point......now you are talking more my speed.

As for the Andersen hitch. It says this hitch will not allow bounce because of the chain/urethane puck assemblies compared to the spring bar set ups.
I don't tow a heavy trailer and have very light tongue weight so it has never been an issue. That being said, have you guys ever had issue with bounce
using a spring bar set up ??? I am surprised by this statement from Andersen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Here is how the Hensley hitch works thanks to Lego.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #27

A RV dealer acquaintance of mine started selling the Andersen and was very impressed with them. He bought one for his own personal use.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
This is another video from Sema, second topic in video. Just found this which confirms my theory how this thing works.

In a different post I stated that I was very concerned about the chains, as I thought they were not chains but forged bars made to look like chains. Now that I have seen the video demonstration, I feel a lot better about this product being on the road.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #29

I also liked the Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. May have to look further into that.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Ran across the following interesting thread over at the "Air Forums" where some folks are describing a TT coupler de-grade condition with the Andersen WDH. One of the few threads out there with some Andersen users with some miles on the product.

TT coupler discussion starting with page #92: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-92131-92.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #31

Yea...just got in from work and came across this thread (I can't handle this one right now ) . I always look at a traditional WDH (in theory) as if it was a wheelbarrel and and you would "lift the handles" to transfer the weight to the front tires. This system to me anyways looks more of a anti-sway product but looks to be putting a lot of foward force on the shank bottom and those threaded rods/nuts.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #32

Hi Bob,

Considering that the trailer is over 22 years old and looks as though it's seen quite a few miles, I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of credence in the so called degrade being the result of the Andersen hitch. Considering that the Andersen is fairly new I would suggest that most if not all of the wear and damage resulted from the previous hitches that were used. I have yet to see or hear of a fairly descent coupler failing. This coupler in all likelihood was going fail irespective of what hitch was used, I'm also not impressed at the bubblegum fix that they want to do....this coupler needs to be replaced....not patched up. As for the Andersen, I think it's under the microscope and before it's condemned, let's have something substantial, not a worn out, patched up, 22 year old coupler.

Quote:
Ran across the following interesting thread over at the "Air Forums" where some folks are describing a TT coupler de-grade condition with the Andersen WDH. One of the few threads out there with some Andersen users with some miles on the product.

TT coupler discussion starting with page #92: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-92131-92.html

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
2013 Ram Laramie 3500 (Dually)
Curt Q20 hitch
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ron,

What I found interesting in the Air Forum TT coupler discussion was the "condition of" forcing the coupler latch wedge up (been mentioned before), and this was being experienced by a couple of members on their newer TT's, including the member with the 22 year old TT. It was this "latch wedge up" condition that I was referring to as a "de-grade" (coupler function compromised) of the particular coupler style being referenced, but as the reader will find not all members have experienced the same condition.

I agree, in June 2012 the Air Forum thread started out like many RV forum threads on the Andersen WDH, "hypothetical" in nature. IMO the Air Forum thread has progressed to the point where we are now getting some user feedback, good and otherwise.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #34

Thanks Bob,

I have also been following this forum and watching closely, there was another incident very early in the discussions where a coupler showed signs of cracking. The owner of the trailer admitted that the coupler was old and was in need of replacement before he installed the Andersen hitch but all the resident Engineers were lined up condemning Andersen, I swear, if it were human it would have been burned at the stake! What I find really interesting is that the two users that have coupler problems like the performance of the hitch so much, that they are looking at upgrading the coupler rather than going back to the conventional hitch.
On another matter I thought it would be a great subject to conduct a pole to see the ratio that TV OEM'S use between GCAWR and GVWR. It appears there is quite a variation in this %. I responded to a posting earlier today where my vehicle's GCAWR was 200 lbs less than a posted vehicle yet their GVWR was 500 lbs more than mine....his truck is capable of carrying 91% of GCAWR and mine is only able to carry 87% of my GCAWR. There doesn't seem to any consistency to this, the real question is who is applying more/less cushion in their calculations?

Ron

Quote:
Ron,

What I found interesting in the Air Forum TT coupler discussion was the "condition of" forcing the coupler latch wedge up (been mentioned before), and this was being experienced by a couple of members on their newer TT's, including the member with the 22 year old TT. It was this "latch wedge up" condition that I was referring to as a "de-grade" (coupler function compromised) of the particular coupler style being referenced, but as the reader will find not all members have experienced the same condition.

I agree, in June 2012 the Air Forum thread started out like many RV forum threads on the Andersen WDH, "hypothetical" in nature. IMO the Air Forum thread has progressed to the point where we are now getting some user feedback, good and otherwise.

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raugustin View Post
snip......There doesn't seem to any consistency to this, the real question is who is applying more/less cushion in their calculations? Ron
That's the million dollar question ....., all I know is that I don't want my TV to be the beta test to see how much over my limits I can go before something happens

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

The Anderson hitch looks like it's built on good theory.
I would just bolt through the clamps as suggested. I think in their current design, movement will be an issue.

That Hensley Lego demonstration was a little biased.
The amount he wiggled the TT with the conventional hitch was a lot more than the wiggle he induced with the Hensley Hitch :-)

JMHO

Looking forward to more experience with the Anderson system.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #37

Hi Bob,

not sure if you've seen this site on the Andersen hitch, some interesting CAT scale data and chain torque info.

http://lanceowners.hoop.la/displayFo...78023353753668

Ron

Quote:
Ron,

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 02-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ron,

Thanks for the link, and the CAT example seems to be reflective of a lighter tongue weight application, based on the TV and TT being identified. I've also followed the RV.NET Andersen threads since the beginning, and as I mentioned always been interested in the force-effect on the coupler......, especially with the heavier 1,200lb "plus" tongue weights.

Another area of interest for me is the long term repeatability of the product to maintain consistent weight distribution with the heavier 1,200lb plus tongue weights....., which I think may take a little more time to accumulate accurate historical data.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #39

You're right Bob,
This is a light weight trailer, but what I find interesting and consistent with other WD hitches is the 25% shift of payload to the TT axles. This is important to me, as you know, because I don't want to be over my GVWR ratio of my truck. If this is typical then it would mean that I don't have to starve myself until May to reduce my GVW.....just kidding, but it's an interesting option. Anyway, I can't give you any info until I install the Andersen in May....it will be a new hitch on a new coupler so I will be able to identfy the wear patterns quickly. Unfortunately, my trailer will only be about 7200 loaded, so it is still light weight compared with what you are looking at. I thought there was a real heavyweight using the Andersen on rv.net...I'll have to go back a look through posts.

Ron

Quote:
Ron,

Thanks for the link, and the CAT example seems to be reflective of a lighter tongue weight application, based on the TV and TT being identified. I've also followed the RV.NET Andersen threads since the beginning, and as I mentioned always been interested in the force-effect on the coupler......, especially with the heavier 1,200lb "plus" tongue weights.

Another area of interest for me is the long term repeatability of the product to maintain consistent weight distribution with the heavier 1,200lb plus tongue weights....., which I think may take a little more time to accumulate accurate historical data.

Bob

Ron (Augie)
2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA
Curt Q20 hitch
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Ron,

The CAT scale will become your friend as it has mine, and it will tell you everything you need to know to dial in the Andersen WDH. Look forward to your CAT results (confirming amount of weight distributed back to TT axles, etc.) and feedback on the Andersen.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS