Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #41

I prefer cooking outside as well. For something quick...brats or sausage on the grill. A crowd pleaser.

I'm also into Dutch Ovens. I use the 'camp ovens' that have legs on them. I have three of various sizes and a D.O. table to use charcoal on. Great for meals or desserts. You can make any meal in them from breakfast to dinner. May add a little weight to your trailer (or your waist!) but its worth it. If you make cooking interesting and fun...you won't mind doing it and your meals won't be boring.

When the smell of Chocolate Turtle Brownies is wafting through the evening air in the campground...you are DA-MAN! (and you will make new friends by sharing)

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
I prefer cooking outside as well. For something quick...brats or sausage on the grill. A crowd pleaser.

I'm also into Dutch Ovens. I use the 'camp ovens' that have legs on them. I have three of various sizes and a D.O. table to use charcoal on. Great for meals or desserts. You can make any meal in them from breakfast to dinner. May add a little weight to your trailer (or your waist!) but its worth it. If you make cooking interesting and fun...you won't mind doing it and your meals won't be boring.

When the smell of Chocolate Turtle Brownies is wafting through the evening air in the campground...you are DA-MAN! (and you will make new friends by sharing)
I agree. Camp cooking has become an activity for my wife and I and our usual camping crowd. Those brownies sound good. Any particular recipe or just boxed brownies in the dutch? We did a pineapple upside down cake on our last camping trip in our camp oven. Turned out great! We also do a lot of biscuits in it for biscuits and gravy.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #43

I'll look up and post the recipe. Is there a recipe or cooking section here?

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
That thing is neat. We are always looking for ways to have quick and easy hot food on the road and avoid fast food. May I ask where you found it?
In Canada, they seem to be easily found at Canadian Tire. It's a KOOLATRON Lunch Box Stove. They get very hot! The newer ones have a cable that can be unplugged at the box. I had a newer one, but it didn't survive a tumble off the top step of a big combine. I did survive! I still use my old one, but the long cord is annoying to wrap up all the time.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #45

I remember wrapping stuff in tin foil and putting it on the manifold to cook while driving between car races when younger.

Bit of a learning curve, but some of it was pretty good.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #46

Koolatron-LBS-01-12V-Lunchbox-Stove found at Amazon for $30.99. It is also at Target for $1 less Target Listing

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #47

Any new ideas?
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #48

I take a along a 22" weber kettle frequently. Recenlty we bought the Kettle Pizza accessory, and has been a huge hit. We bring pizza crust, made at home ahead of time or store bought, then roll it out and everyone gets to create their own pizza. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't classify as an "easy meal". It takes time to roll out the crust properly.

We frequently stop buy the "latino grocery store" and get marinaded carne para asada too. Carne Asada tacos are very easy and enjoyed by our whole crew.

If we have electrical hookup the crock pot occasionally makes an appearance to make Posole, Chile, and Chile Verde. These meals are great beacue you just dump it in and let it go for several hours.

Lunch is an extremely informal event for us. Typically we just snack through mid-day. Fruit, cheese & Crackers, chips & dip, etc. Maybe left over from the night before.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
Occasionally we will heat our lunch as we travel with a 12v plug-in lunch box. Neatest thing. Your imagination limits what you can do. I use it almost every day when I work for a big farm, Spring and Fall.

One stop we found scrumptious fresh made chicken pot pies. Put them in the lunch box, plugged it in on the floor in the back seat of the truck. Yum!

I use those tinfoil pans, cover the food with tinfoil. Soup, chiken wings, perogies, you name it!
I have one as well....I started using it again when I bought the trailer...I put food items in it and go to the trailer and when I get there I can eat right away along with a adult beverage. Current favorite is home made burritos....

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #50

One of my favs from Boy Scout camping days is stuffed green peppers.

Make your favorite meatloaf recipe (I mix at home then bring in tupperware), then hollow out & stuff a green/yellow/red pepper with it. Put a little tinfoil around the bottom of the pepper and place directly onto your coals.

Acidity of the pepper, along with moisture from pepper and meat will keep it from getting brittle. Cook until the meat is browned, then remove and eat. (about 30 min)

First time I had it, I was wary of the black bottom (which looked absolutely scorched). But I have to tell you, the bottom was the most tasty & moist part of the pepper!!

A somewhat similar recipe online: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...rs-recipe.html
Old 05-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #51

Make soups and freeze them as ice blocks. When defrosted, serve with bread and salad. Corn chowder and chili are two favorites.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #52

Any new ideas out there?

I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I find myself in the same old rut again. Proteins are not the problem (steaks and sausage links for this weekend's 2 dinners), I need some good low-carb sides. Doc's got me on South Beach, so no breads, potatoes, starches ...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #53
Site Team

We ate at a whole food markets a couple of weeks ago and they had the strangest dish I ever saw. It was Cabbage and Sweet potatoes.

I tried it and a few days later I made my own version.
half a head of cabbage, chopped. Saute with a little oil /butter until almost tender, then add a couple of medium sliced sweet potatoes to the pan. ( I cook them for 3-4 minutes in the MW, then peel and slice). I also added a half of a chopped apple. Cover and let simmer until the cabbage finishes cooking . Just a few more minutes.

It is a new side for us.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Any new ideas out there?

I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I find myself in the same old rut again. Proteins are not the problem (steaks and sausage links for this weekend's 2 dinners), I need some good low-carb sides. Doc's got me on South Beach, so no breads, potatoes, starches ...
Hey Bob, I've been eating a similar diet for the last 4 months. Down by about 50 pounds so far, and feeling a lot better. I cut out all processed foods and anything made with grains. No potatoes, pasta, sugar, syrup, bread, breaded fried foods, or corn. Very few, if any beans or peas. Green beans OK, but I said goodbye to my pintos. Olive oil is my go-to oil for everything.

I don't worry about the fat intake, and enjoy butter. Cheese, though is a trigger food of mine so I have to stay away from it. In fact, last night, I thawed out a hunk of cheddar and ate it all- 1 freakin' pound! Tasted good, but I'll probably be bound up for couple of days.

For carbs, I get them from vegetables and some fruit. My staples for carbs include things like tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, greens, berries, turnips, brussels sprouts, eggplant, peppers- all are low in carbs but high in nutrients. Good veggies with higher carbs, but great nutrition are things like beets and carrots.

I try to keep my total carb intake around 100 grams a day, which isn't to hard to do, because you can eat a lot of the above veggies before hitting that amount.

If I go hiking or do some other strenuous activity (haha) I'll eat a sweet potato (high in nutrients) or an apple.

Nuts are high in fat, have some protein and very few carbs. Great nutrition.

I've been keeping track of my food/calorie/nutrient intake on a website called FitDay.com. Works well, and besides entering your food, you can enter activities you do, which ups your allowed calories for the day. There's a hill I hike up a couple times a week, and it burns off over 400 calories every time I do it. I'm able to eat more, and know how much more to eat, which is good. Otherwise, it might be easy to pig out the next day.

On a side note, I decided to check my food scales for calibration. They were off quite a bit- 16 ounces shown on the scale was actually only 12 ounces, so I've been shortchanging myself. I was able to disassemble the scales and adjust the spring tension so that now, a cup of water weighs 8 ounces, and a pint 16 ounces.

Hope this gives you some ideas, Bob.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #55

Costco's "Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad" kit is an easy side we take camping, and stores great - enough for two meals.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #56

I have decided to use my old smaller crock pot in the trailer this winter. We can do our thing all day and when we return dinner is ready! Of course this is only good with hook ups

2015 Jay Flight 24 FBS
pervinpatty is offline   Reply With Quote