Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Power cord replacement

Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing their power cord (30 amp) on a 28 DSBH or similar TT? After the cord enters the camper where does it connect to the terminals and how easy is it to access?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #2

I did mine once when I installed my shore power inlet. Find your converter and there should be an access panel somewhere nearby.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

My power cord was damaged by the tech's at the Dealer. Instead of letting them work some more on it I did it my self. On our 288RLS the power cord was stored in a small cabinet under the rear window along with the water pump.

What I did was to remove the old power cord about 20 feet long. After some measuring and fiddling I installed a new cord that was 40 feet long. I purchased a 50 foot 30 amp cord from Camping World and cut it down. During install I wrapped the power cord with some electrical tape so I know I am 3 feet from the end and to stop pulling.

I hope you find yours in a place that does not require two elbows in your left arm to work on it.

Bob
Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

If the end is damaged, then cut it off and wire in a new plug end. what is damaged on yours?
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #5

In my previous camper, the port from which the 30 amp cable came through was in the very rear of the camper. The power converter was about half way towards the front of the camper. The 30 amp cord was hard wired to romex cable in a junction box under the rear bed. Romex cable ran from there to the power converter.

Had I needed to replace the 30 amp cord, I would have only needed to pass it into the port to the junction box, attach the cable restraint on the junction box and use twist nuts to attach it to the romex.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #6

It might look like a difficult project but it's not. Like 4X4 said, you might need 2 elbows to get the job done but it's not a brain teaser.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #7

I really didn't think this would be a difficult project but, never having done it before, I wanted to get a bit more info before starting. I like to have an idea of all the steps before I get committed.

The power converter is on the right side of the camper. The power cord exits the left side of the camper. Does this cord attach to terminals near the left side and then is wired to the converter from there? Curious to know before I open it up. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

I just installed a Progressive surge protector on my 284bhs the plug folds into a box under my bathroom sink and then into a junction box. Just look at the spot behind were you store your cable I'm sure you will see a junction box. If I was to change my cord I would probably switch it to the type that you don't have to jam it into the side of camper. I'd get the Hubbell connector type.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #9

Now that the project is complete - a little recap. On my 28DSBH there is a junction box inside the rear storage compartment. All I had to do was remove the wooden cover, the cover of the box and then remove the old cord. It feeds through a hole to the cord compartment so I tied a small rope to it to make feeding the new cord easier. Twist the wire caps on the new cord and put everything back together.

Easy project for the average owner if it ever becomes necessary. And I only needed one elbow.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:00 AM   #10

If you’re still able to get this msg. I have the same issue with the power cord being on the left side of the camper and the converter on the right. I’m still scratching my head about how to replace my power cord. I have a 2010 jay flight that I bought 2 years ago. It’s my first camper. Could you help me with knowing how or where to find/where to look for the connection to the end of the power cord?
MissMissyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:26 AM   #11

Just to clear things up a little. The power cord does not go to the converter. The power cord goes to the 120 volt main circuit breaker box. It is connected to the main breaker in the breaker box. There is a 15 amp breaker in that box that feeds the Converter. There may be a junction box where the stranded power cord changes over to Solid Romex before getting to the main breaker box but not usually. Sometimes on a 30 amp but never on a 50 amp.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMissyLu View Post
If you’re still able to get this msg. I have the same issue with the power cord being on the left side of the camper and the converter on the right. I’m still scratching my head about how to replace my power cord. I have a 2010 jay flight that I bought 2 years ago. It’s my first camper. Could you help me with knowing how or where to find/where to look for the connection to the end of the power cord?
When I did mine. I had to remove the "Fuse Box" (120 Circuit breakers, 12V fuses, and converter). There is a decorative trim piece, it snaps off. Then there was 4 screws that hold the fuse box in place. (make sure to have shore power and the battery disconnected). Then comes the challenge. The 120 volt power cord is secured to the floor right behind the fuse box (code thing). I could only get the box out far enough to reach in (blindly) to remove the wire clamp screw. Once the screw was out, the fuse box pulled out easily. While your in there, tighten all the wire terminal lugs on the back side. Back in that era, Jayco was known not to tighten up very well.

When you put the fuse box back in. Make sure to secure the new 120V power cord with the wire clamp. This makes sure you do not yank the wire off the fuse box, when pulling the wire out of the cubby. I just gave myself a little extra wire, to make it easier to work on in the future.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #13

Power cord replacement

On my 2015 Eagle HT 27.5 the cord enters the rear of the camper through the side and into the wooden table and connects to a electrical Jbox between the recliners by the back window. My problem is when you pull it out and shove back into the camper it folds up in the other side of this cabinet. This makes it fold up inside the cabinet and when I pull it out, it remains folded or coiled and laying on the ground it becomes a tripping hazard and does not lay flat.
This system and way of storing the cord is a terrible idea. My old 2008 Pilgram camper had the male receptical with a twist lock connection mounted on the side and the cord with a female end was loose and stored neatly in the front bin. Has any one else gotten tired of this bad design and changed the connection?
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genr8rs View Post
Has any one else gotten tired of this bad design and changed the connection?
Yep, it’s on my to-do list

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote