Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #61

Interesting and scary thread. I have a 2015 Whitehawk 28dsbh. Anybody know if the axle issue has been fixed by now?
Sway Bar
CBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #62

What you see there is perfectly normal...or maybe I am missing a detail ?

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #63

Axle issue

CBeck, to my knowledge the issue has been addressed with the newer models. Although no official recall was ever issued. For future owners of any camper, at least they now know what to look for.
As for me I still enjoy my jayco 28dsbh
tim768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:14 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfenders View Post
Its been a while since anything was added to this thread, so here's my story...

After finding this thread last Winter, I've been eagerly waiting to get my trailer out of storage so I can check the axles. This week, I did. I found my axles were both bent badly enough that when holding a 4' level (longest straight-edge I have) to the bottom of the axles, there was about a 1/4" gap in the middle between the axle and the level.

So, I called Dexter at 1-574-295-7888, explained to the receptionist that I was reading on the Jayco forum about axle problems with Jayco travel trailers. She transferred me to Connie (mentioned in a previous post). Couldn't ask for a more professional or friendly person to talk to on the phone. I saw in a previous post the picture of the D44 tag and asked if that's what I was getting. She said no.

Dexters axles are rated by weight. Both my current and replacements coming are rated at 3500lbs. My axles have the 2 3/8" tube and the replacements have the 3' tube, yet BOTH are D35 axles, hence the 3500 lb rating I'm guessing. I'd surmise the D44 label indicated in the above posting was for a trailer that HAD 4400lb axles? Only a guess, but seems to make sense.

Since my Jayco warranty ended 8 months ago, they would not cover labor for replacement. Since my trailer has low mileage, they are sending complete axles, which I believe she said include hubs and brake drums, rather than just axle tubes where everything needs to be changed over.

Here is the info she ask for, which thanks to this thread, I had ready:

Estimated mileage - My 2012 F-150 tracks it whenever the 7-pin connector is plugged in, so no estimation was necessary.
Date of purchase - Probably to determine if they'll cover labor.
Axle s/n - Stamped in housing and located to the right of axle label. I rubbed a soapstone pencil over it to make it more readable, some have used chalk.
Last 8 digits of trailer s/n - Label is located on road side of trailer, near the front.

Here's what I have:

2012 Jayco Whitehawk 26SRK, purchased 8/25/12.

They are shipping complete axles to where I work and I will put them in with my son's help. Hope this helps someone.
As far as I know all trailer axles have a slight crown to them. Mine does as well. But if they are sending you new axles, great!

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #65

Thank goodness for this thread!! I am having the same issue. 2 bad tires. One blew out while driving on the interstate. The other was showing metal through the inner wall/tread edge. My dealer has been horrible. No help at all. Jayco was also no help. Both said I can buy a new axle from Dexter. Since reading this thread, I've emailed Dexter to see what they say about it. Hopefully, I will have the same good luck as those of you in this thread.

Thanks,
Andy

2012 Jayco 25RKS
medic149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:05 AM   #66

Well I have bad axles on my Whitehawk. Dexter is going to send me new axles, has anyone changed these axles themselves? I don't want to pay for labor or take it to the stealership about 1.5 hours away.

2017 FORD SD, 6.7.
2012 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #67

Yes last year I changed my axles out on my 2012 Whitehawk 27DSRL took about 3hrs max. I am sure it can be done quicker but I was in no rush.

DAve
Davecarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #68

28dsbh wide stance axle

We purchased our 2013 in the fall of 2012. Until recently we just took short trips and preferred pull through sites. Took a long trip and noticed weird tire camber, wore one tire to belt, another same hub had total tread separation. When we got home still had less than 4000 miles on it. Dexter replaced the axles and springs due to them saying the age of the trailer as this occurred in May of 2017.

We appreciate their assistance. Thanks to all that posted about the axle issue. If you are having this problem still try calling Dexter you may be pleasantly surprised.
Jdfarmer1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #69

Smile Axle replacement from Dexter

After reading this forum I contacted Dexter directly. David was a pleasure to deal with and made the process smooth. I received the axles today.
Thank you to David, and Dexter, for helping with this issue.

2012 Jayco White Hawk
26ft
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #70

New axles and springs - how to put on stands?

So got word today Dexter is sending me 2 axles and springs. Question I have is how everyone else who has done their own axle replacements is this:

What is the best way to put your White Hawk on jack stands to do the work? Obviously want to be as safe as possible!

Thanks all!
dslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcorvair View Post
after a little over a year of using my new 2013 whitehawk 28DSBH my rear wheels got way out of camber. I looked under the trailer and the axle was bending!

I called Dexter Axles directly, gave them a few numbers from my trailer and the axle tubes and they confirmed that they have been having this issue with early whitehawks that had the wide stance axles. I know the 28DSBH like mine does. Turns out that during tight manuvering all that tire deflection is bending the axles.

They agreed to have any dealer I choose install new axles. Since I feel more comfortable doing things myself I asked if that was a possiblity and they had no problem. they shipped me two complete axles with new Brakes, Drums and Spings, all assembled and ready to install. they also said if I had any abnormal tire wear, they would pay to replace the tire.

Im really impressed with they way Dexter stood up as they are even paying me a few bucks to make the repairs. I just have to send in a pic of the old axles cut in half.

If you have a whitehawk with the Wide Stance Axles, go outside and check them now! If they are 2-3/8" Axle tubes, than you will likely have this issue. The new Trailers are coming with upgraded 3" Axle tubes and that is what they sent me.
Need to add to all that have a late model 2016 jayco DSBH white hawk as i do and have the wide stance axles with lippert 2 3/8 axles you will also have issues. I am going on a second set of axles now due to rear axle lossing its camber and now have been told that lippert nor jayco will do anything to warranty my unit because i am 1 month 3 weeks out of warranty. They claim i am overliading my unit. I am through dealing with both manufacturers. POOR CUSTOMER SEVICE ALL THE WAY AROUND...NO CALL BACKS VERY DISAPOINTED. Could not wait to buy a Jayco and love the layout. But common repsonse from both manufacturers is that they supplied what is designed and blaming me. Clearly they have an issue with the 2 3/8 axles and do not want to do anything about it. So i have now ordered 3 inch diameter axles 3500 and installing myself....truley a shame....buyer to look before you buy. I want to let all to know i dont usually do a rant or rave type emails just want to be treated fairly...this is also a dangerous situation. Thank you all for looking.
Btbdold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btbdold1 View Post
Need to add to all that have a late model 2016 jayco DSBH white hawk as i do and have the wide stance axles with lippert 2 3/8 axles you will also have issues. I am going on a second set of axles now due to rear axle lossing its camber and now have been told that lippert nor jayco will do anything to warranty my unit because i am 1 month 3 weeks out of warranty. They claim i am overliading my unit. I am through dealing with both manufacturers. POOR CUSTOMER SEVICE ALL THE WAY AROUND...NO CALL BACKS VERY DISAPOINTED. Could not wait to buy a Jayco and love the layout. But common repsonse from both manufacturers is that they supplied what is designed and blaming me. Clearly they have an issue with the 2 3/8 axles and do not want to do anything about it. So i have now ordered 3 inch diameter axles 3500 and installing myself....truley a shame....buyer to look before you buy. I want to let all to know i dont usually do a rant or rave type emails just want to be treated fairly...this is also a dangerous situation. Thank you all for looking.
our early 2016 28dsbh is in the same boat. lippert 2 3/8" axles. rear tire on driver side extremely worn on inside edge. leafs lay flat with no arch and axle appears to have no arch to it either. looking it up the axles are rated for 3500 pounds. for a trailer max of 7500 with 660# tongue weight that seems to be pushing the limits. Not to mention the tires are only rated for a combined 6200# which is just over the 6050# empty weight of the trailer.

Craptastic job jayco.

What ended up happening with yours? I will be calling the dealer tomorrow. Of course this is our 4th camping season so the warranty is up... Only have 6K miles on it... pretty sad state to be in.
rhermsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #73

This appears to be exactly the same problem - see my post here: left rear tire inner edge worn after 2-3k miles.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post781210

I need to change the tires, but I need to address the axle problem first. Is it possible to custom order e.g. 4400 lbs axle and still be able to use all the hardware (drums, wheels, etc.) from 3500 lbs axle?

If not, I noticed from the post below that it should be possible to get 3 inch 3500 lbs axle. What is the manufacturer? Is this plug and play from swapping with the current 2 3/8 inch axle?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btbdold1 View Post
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #74

I do not understand how this issue arose in 2013, was identified by Jayco and Dexter as a problem - Dexter replaced parts for affected owners, AND YET, in 2019 the exact problem is still here? My 2016 came with the same 2-3/8" 3,.5L axles, leaf springs, etc. We lost a rear tire on a trip, the axle bent and tires wore to the belt on the inside of both rear tires. I filed an insurance claim and upgraded my entire suspension with Dexter D60 axles, bigger hubs/drums, brakes, etc. My springs are now 5.2K. I had no clue this is considered a manufacturer defect...

There is a related thread on this topic "Leaf springs - should they look like this? from Bono.
Old 11-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #75

Another 2016 28dsbh with Lippert 2 3/8” axles showing inside wear on rear axle driver side tire. Rotating tires and monitoring the situation while browsing axle replacement options. You can see the toe-out in the rear view. I guess I turn to the left more than the right. Let me know any places to shop axles for a diy install.
seadeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #76

A good place to go is Six Roblees: https://sixrobblees.com/ or maybe to Dexter directly.