Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #1

rubber roof cleaning

What is the best way to get black spots off a rubber roof? Has anyone tried mold armor, used for cleaning house siding. I used murphys oil soap and that didnt work very good.
hazlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Hazlet, I was going to mention using Murphy's Oil Soap only because that is what our salesman and PDI recommended. I haven't tried it yet because our TT is so new, but if you're saying it doesn't work very well, then I'm asking everyone the same question you are: What is the best way to get black spots off of a rubber roof?
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

The people who make the "rubber roof" recommend Spic-N-Span and a stiff scrub brush. Here is the info from the company

CLEANING AND MAINTAINING THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE

Proper care and maintenance of your Alpha Systems roof membrane is critical for years of trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy and requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane.

If you have any questions, please contact Alpha Systems at 574-295-5206
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

There are several manufacturers of "rubber roofs"- I believe not all are real rubber- You need to determine which product you have and then determine what to use to clean your roof- Question 1- What year is your unit?- Q2- How long have you owned the unit?- Q3 - What part of the country do you live in?- Q3- Where do you store the unit [ under trees, in a covered area or in direct sunshine ? ]- Q4- Where do you camp ?- Answers to all of these questions will help us help you- JMHO- DD
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

In addition to making certain you never, ever get any product containing petroleum distillates on and EPDM or TPO roof, be very careful with insect sprays, especially those "wasp shooters" that lob a stream 20'. I used one to engage in chemical warfare with a mud dauber nest under a slide topper on our fifth wheel. Within seconds, literally, the EPDM bubbled up everywhere the spray contacted it. Looked at the can.............sure as hell, contained petroleum distillate of some sort.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

I have a 1999 Fleetwood Wilderness toy hauler and I have many black spots on my EPDM roof. Because the roof is old, I think it's just the white paint that has worn off. EPDM material may be black rubber painted white.
Swingrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

I have been using the simple green soap. EPDM doesn't like petroleum distillates or any citrus products. Everything I have read says no protectorants to be used. I clean the roof primarily to examine the sealant around anything that pokes through the membrane and to have it cleaned so that if I do have to reseal those areas, it (the self leveling sealant) will bond to the membrane. As far as the black spots on the roof after the primary concern is taken care of...out of sight, out of mind, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it!
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

I am getting ready (doing research and asking questions) to thoroughly clean my EPDM roof membrane and coat it with a liquid EPDM product (http://www.liquid-roof.com/liquidroof.html) that I've found online. For cleaning, Simple Green seems to be the prefered product...does anyone know of a better one? As for the liquid roof coating, I've read about 3 options: some kind of silicone/acrylic stuff-No; Kool Seal-Maybe; EPDM liquid roof-Top Pick. Does anyone have any experience with the coating products? What's the best?
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I use granular Tide or when I can find it granular Spic-n-Span. I have a medium bristle deck brush on a pole to scrub the roof. Your Alpha roof is textured, so it'll take some elbow grease and a bottle of ibuprofen to get it clean. Be reasonable when washing, the texture holds grime and at best your just looking to remove surface mildew and dirt. My 2013 is already speckled and it only has one season under its belt.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

On our 2004 JayFlight I used the special EPDM cleaner from camping World. I also used the protectant as well. That said now we have an alpha systems roof that isn't EPDM and just needs a good soap.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #11

For coating, I recommend the DICOR (http://www.dicor.com/) line of products. Its all the techs use here in the shop, and owners have used the re-coating products with good results, but it is pricey.. (about $500 bucks for a 30 foot camper)

Cleaners for roofs, we use Simple Green, and Chemco all in one RV cleaner for the rest.

I would stay away from the Pro-Tec rubber roof care system. It coats and does a great job on the roof for protecting it, but leaves a "sticky" film that collects dust and dirt. When it rains, the film runs down the sides of the camper.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #12

Hate to say it, but I tried a lot of the expensive cleaners and found Simple Green to work the best. It works great straight on the aluminum sides too. Takes the streaks off in seconds
Esharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Well, that about settles it...Simple Green it is. Next question; Do you dillute it and how much?
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #14

spic- n -span for cleaning two times a year . Look for cracks around vents,sky light ,ect ..if there is any use self leveling sealant,like Dicor . There is other products out there . And if you see the black coming through the roof ,that means you protection of the membrane is wearing off you will need to recoat it . YOU WILL NEED TO KNOWN WHAT TYPE OF ROOF YOU HAVE . Then look for coating for it . There is so many different types for coating so BE AWARE of what your looking for. I use Dicor self leveling sealant and henrys coating but that's for my roof . And remember your roof is a very important part of you camper keep it clean and water tight and you will have a damage free camper. PS the coating protects the rubber roof and cools the camper by 20 degrees.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225orourke View Post
spic- n -span for cleaning two times a year . Look for cracks around vents,sky light ,ect ..if there is any use self leveling sealant,like Dicor . There is other products out there . And if you see the black coming through the roof ,that means you protection of the membrane is wearing off you will need to recoat it . YOU WILL NEED TO KNOWN WHAT TYPE OF ROOF YOU HAVE . Then look for coating for it . There is so many different types for coating so BE AWARE of what your looking for. I use Dicor self leveling sealant and henrys coating but that's for my roof . And remember your roof is a very important part of you camper keep it clean and water tight and you will have a damage free camper. PS the coating protects the rubber roof and cools the camper by 20 degrees.
You should know the type of roof when selecting a sealant like Dicor. Write ups suggest that if you have an Alpha roof, you need to use a different product. The Jury is still out if this is accurate or not, or if it has warranty implications. Alpha makes their own self leveling roof product.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #16

From Di-Cor's Website -

CLEANING MOLD AND/OR MILDEW FROM RUBBER ROOFING MATERIALS NEEDED:

BUCKET OF WATER
SPONGE
MEDIUM BRISTLE BRUSH
TILEX BATHROOM CLEANER

There are no ingredients in EPDM rubber roofing that will promote the growth of mold and/or mildew. Atmospheric dirt, shade, sun, humidity and moisture are some of the contributing factors that form mold and/or mildew. Regular cleaning of your rubber roof will help prevent mold and/or mildew from forming on the EPDM roof. Dicor recommends that you wash your roof an average of 3-4 times a year using a non-abrasive cleaner and a medium plastic bristle brush. Mold and/or mildew on your EPDM roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof and grows – similar to bathroom mold that grows in your shower. It does not attack the membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed.

Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed. Allow ample time to complete the job and follow instructions carefully. Although the products mentioned will not harm your roof, if you do not follow the instructions, other areas could be affected.

Tilex is a bathroom cleaner that can be purchased at many grocery stores or discount stores. Tilex contains strong chemicals. Please read the label thoroughly. Tilex should not come in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces. If it drips over the sidewalls or comes in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces, wipe immediately with a damp sponge.

WORK WITH A SMALL AREA in order to maintain control. Spray a small area approximately 2'x2' with the Tilex. Allow the Tilex to remain on the roof for 3-10 minutes per area. Scrub with a medium bristle brush. After scrubbing, wipe with a damp sponge.

When finished with whatever time frame you intend to spend on the roof (whether you do the entire roof or just a portion) rinse the roof thoroughly with a garden hose. BE SURE TO RINSE WINDOWS AND SIDEWALLS ALSO.

Most often one application is all that is needed to alleviate the problem. Depending on the amount of mold and/or mildew and the length of time growing, more than one application may be necessary.

Follow this procedure with the Dicor Roof Gard (RP-RG320S) protectant.
NewCamperOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazlet View Post
What is the best way to get black spots off a rubber roof? Has anyone tried mold armor, used for cleaning house siding. I used murphys oil soap and that didnt work very good.
Not seeing where you have told us the type of roof you have.....

Never mind, this post is months old now....... If you come back, give us an update

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #18

granular spic an span, I get it from amazon because it is hard to find. Do it twice a year. It does not remove the black spots, but my dealer said not to worry about them.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #19

has anyone used Dicor Roof-Gard protectant?

Thinking about buying some $31 a gallon. Specifically for current Jayco roof material. I read similar to spray on dashboard protectors you can buy anywhere but specifically for our rubber roof material.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:13 PM   #20

Dicor cleaner and a medium bristle brush worked on our 2013 Puma. Will use the same on our 2018 Jayco Fiver..

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote