Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Condensation! Errrrr! HELP ?????

We have the 29bhs G2 without the extra foil insulation.

It was in the low 40's each night we camped a couple of weeks ago and a couple of nights it hit high 30's(sorry just now getting around to posting this). We had "flurries" for about an hour one night (which they NEVER get in this area!) and woke up one morning to a dusting of snow that melted when the sun hit it.

At any rate, daily, we had moisture on the windows inside in the morning even though we had a vent open and a window cracked. I squeegie'd the main windows each morning (I'm talking the INSIDE) and had to use a rag to catch the water before it dripped down the wall).

Ok so what are we doing wrong that we are getting major condensation on the inside of the windows when we have the setting on the lowest of 55 degree's, we're sleeping in the tt, and it's colder than 55 degree's?

Please keep in mind we are not acclimated to snow/cold weather where we are from!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Team

It sure sounds like you did everything right, really not sure why you would get that much condensation with the heat turned down that low and the vent and window open. Maybe try opening up another vent? I suppose if you turned on your bathroom fan it might make for a cold draft, but would evacuate some moisture. Some folks that live in their rigs even use dehumidifiers. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

We had the vent open in the bedroom but I think Don closed the bathroom fantastic fan (plus our bath door where the fantastic fan wouldn't stay open cuz we weren't totally level as a result of our off-kilter bubble -it's been corrected now-).
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
It sure sounds like you did everything right, really not sure why you would get that much condensation with the heat turned down that low and the vent and window open. Maybe try opening up another vent? I suppose if you turned on your bathroom fan it might make for a cold draft, but would evacuate some moisture. Some folks that live in their rigs even use dehumidifiers. -Lee
Yeh, I agree. It comes down to the inside temperature dropping below the dew point. The goal is to reduce the humidity inside the TT. You might be able achieve this by making the air drier with a dehumidifier. With single pane windows, the inside surface of them will be close to the outside temperature, and that cool surface will condense out the humid inside air.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

I think that is normal with single pane windows we had the same problem where we live in our house with single pane windows in the winter. Its warmer inside than outside and every mornning we would have to wipe some or all of the windows. Have had same problem in trailers in early spring or late fall it can get cold in Washington State and its worse if there is moisture outside. we changed windows in house but have to live with it in trailer. we keep Dri Z Air in trailer all winter long.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #6

We never had to worry about a dehumidifier.... (I don't even think I knew they existed LOL). I guess we will have to look into one if we decide to camp in the cold again! Thanks you guys
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #7

We don't open any vents or windows and it is rare that we have condensation on any of the windows. It does get into the mid 30's and lower 40's.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #8

From what I have been reading on this topic (moisture), a 25 pint dehumidifier should help immensely.
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #9

This may sound odd but, one of our Cdn TT friends used to run the A/C and heater at the same time, to dry out the air inside the trailer. You see, the A/C will dry out the air much like a dehumidifier would (they run on the same principle), and the heater will keep the A/C running on a cold day. The longer the A/C runs, the more effective this would be. I've never tried that, but maybe worth a shot before buying a dehumidifier.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #10

I wish I could help. I have double pane windows and Arctic Pack and have never seen the first bit of condensation. Thank goodness.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #11

We use electric heaters, but keep the a/c fan on all the time and the bathroom vent cracked. The circulation has kept us dry so far.
Hutashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutashe View Post
We use electric heaters, but keep the a/c fan on all the time and the bathroom vent cracked. The circulation has kept us dry so far.
We haven't tried keeping the fan going and was using the gas heater (forgot to bring the electric one on that trip). We'll try keeping the a/c fan on with the heat next time it gets that low again; doesn't hurt to try once before springing for a dehumidifier. Thanks for the suggestiion Hutashe!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #13

David 472 has a good point...it sounds counter-intuitive, but correct. The a/c will dry the air. It will all work overtime a bit, but...This is why if you turn on the defrosters in your car on a cold wet day, the a/c compressor runs automatically.
Camping AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #14

One trick I learned from tent camping was to keep a candle burning all night. In a tent I would hang a safety candle and it would prevent any condensation from the level of the candle and up. I don't know if it would work as well in a TT, but it might be worth a shot. Certainly much cheaper than running the A/C and heat, or a de-humidifier, and you wouldn't need a safety candle, a decorative one would work.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #15

We had that same thing happen when we owned the 256RKS, just got used to waking up wiping the windows. Since we ordered the 320RLDS with the double pane window we have not had any condensation at all.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote