Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Jayco 165 Scale weights

Last trip I decided to make a quick stop on the Cat scale to check the weights on my Jayco 165 / Nissan Frontier. I am using a 600lb E2 WDH setup. Was a bit surprised that I was a little over on the Jayco Axle since we really were not carrying that much. (clothes, food, odds & ends) I knew the 165 had a very low load capacity, but didn't realize how quick thinks add up. I wonder how many people with 165's never check and are running over their weight limits.

Steer axle weight 2660 vs GAWR of 3296
Drive Axle weight 2840 vs GAWR of 3331
Trailer axle weight 3100 vs GAWR of 3000

Previously I had checked the tongue wt on a scale setup with a fulcrum and it is around 600lbs.

Next trip out I will have to spend a bit more time on the scales and check TV alone axle weights and with/without weight distribution to get a better idea of actual tongue weight and weight transfer to the TV axles. Planning a couple of month trip this winter and want to make sure I am set up correctly.

2012 Jayco 165
2011 Nissan Frontier
Mikemvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I am sure I am over but nothing I can do about it therefor I haven't bothered to check. Jayco has a terrible CC but I only bring things I need so they all have to stay.

If I have an axle failure I will deal with it warranty or no warranty.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemvg View Post
snip....... Next trip out I will have to spend a bit more time on the scales and check TV alone axle weights and with/without weight distribution to get a better idea of actual tongue weight and weight transfer to the TV axles......
Mike,

Let us know the results of your next CAT visit, would be great reference information for readers with and/or considering similar TV/TT combinations....., and your absolutely correct on how fast cargo weight can add up.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

Gone through a few sets of tires as result of overweight and under inflation.
I REALLY watch weight. Food and clothes are it. Even keep any extra water/beer et al in truck bed.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by muelldawg View Post
Gone through a few sets of tires as result of overweight and under inflation.
yes, the single most important thing is max air pressure
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #6

I weighed my rig last weekend. My 165BH fully loaded with gear and food came in at 3050lbs. That included about 5-7 gallon of water. Figured she was a heavy as I'll ever make her. My Escape came in about 200 lb over it max. Figured that was the 200lbs of scuba gear I had in it and the heavy tongue weight. I'm over there's nothing I can do about it. A new truck is not in my future. I can distribute it a little different but the total will still be over on our scuba trips. This was a test. I intentionally loaded everything just to see what it would hold and took a route that went by a scale. I inflated my tires to 5lbs below the max cold psi to allow for heat up. Escape towed fine for 4 hours each way. I think next time the 4 tanks stay home an I'll rent them there.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
I inflated my tires to 5lbs below the max cold psi to allow for heat up.
Your tires were under-inflated. If the tires were at their max load, they should be inflated to their max pressure when cold. They are designed to be able to handle the pressure increase when they warm up.
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote