Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 05:37 AM   #1

Wheel Bearing Disaster Averted

I have the Dexter EZ Lube Axles on my 2013 334RBTS. Been pumping, purging grease since new through the bearings while rotating the hubs annually since I got the trailer new. Been having issues with weak brakes so I pulled hubs off to check lining, magnets etc. Found the outer bearings spalling badly, one close to eminent failure. This trailer has about 5,000 miles on it. Conclusion is the bearings were likely not packed correctly when new, the first time I greased the EZ Lube fittings, I used a full tube of grease. Another concern is Jayco put 5,000 lb axles on a unit that weighs close to 10,900. Also the bearings are cheap Chinese junk. Brought set of Timkens to replace the outers, the inner look fine so they went back in. Also used Pennzoil 707 grease which in my mind is the best. I was pumping in Mobil 1 synthetic but after research, the Pennzoil grease has a higher operating temp then the Mobil 1 ironically. These brakes work hard with being at max capacity. Moral here for all is not to over look bearing inspection just because there's grease fittings, this would have been a big disaster on the first trip out.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #2

Glad you checked! I have thought about stowing a spare bearing set. I see a lot of boats on the side of the road, with the hub off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #3

Where'd you get the Timkens. Bearings is one of the few things I don't have much experience with. I have spare seals for mine with intentions of inspection later this year, but wouldn't mind a spare set of bearings.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Where'd you get the Timkens. Bearings is one of the few things I don't have much experience with. I have spare seals for mine with intentions of inspection later this year, but wouldn't mind a spare set of bearings.
You can find them on Amazon for about 8.50/bearing, includes races and shipping.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

Is there some sort of reference chart for Timkens vs. Dexter and what will fit? I have all the dexter numbers for the bearings (got from Dexter based on S/N on axle).
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Check those Timken bearings real close. Most small Timken bearings are made in China.

I do maintenance at a major manufacture, it's almost impossible to find small bearings made in the USA - tapered roller, ball, roller, Timken, SKF, SealMaster, NTN, NSK, - it doesn't matter, they're mostly China manufacture

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #7

I don't recommend putting the original cups (inner races) back in with the new Timken parts. Different manufacturers use different profiles on the raceway (shape of the race). You may find that does harm to the parts. Always keep the manufacturer the same. As for country of manufacture: don't worry too much about Chinese made bearings from your premium manufacturers such as Timken and SKF. Their factories use the same spec whether in China or the US.
Bucko06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
. . . Brought set of Timkens to replace the outers, the inner look fine so they went back in . . .
Just curious as to why you didn't go ahead and replace the inner bearings while you were already in there? Doubt it was much more money. Are they more difficult to replace?

I gotta' get out there and check mine the next time we have a nice day.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

Im not a fan of Dexter Easy Lube axles. I started this thread almost 4 yrs ago for the same reason as the op.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...gain-8207.html
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

I replaced the inner races as well as mentioned the bearing manufactures should match. I bought everything off amazon after wasting hours driving to dealers who don't stock anything these days. Even the pennzoil grease I ordered since it was just few bucks a tube.
I don't like all that grease being pumped in against those seals. Old school I guess but from now on will just pull the hubs down every two years. I just wanted to give a heads up to those thinking Dexter packed your bearings right. In my case they sure didn't and could have been ugly. If you have the bearings done by a repair shop, be sure they inspect the bearings really good and not just jam them in the repack tool as seen in you tube videos. Need to really look at them for spalling.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote