Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #21

I made one out of wood as well. See this thread.... http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...highlight=rail
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #22

I made wooden ones also that work really well. So far no falling kids.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19689
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #23

I had problem with grandkids. I purchased large L shaped brackets at Lowe's. bolted 1 x 6 to two of them, covered with foam, then cloth and stapled to the board. Works great. I attached to plywood of bottom of bed with screws. If you would like photos, email me at don.mary@eccwireless.net.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #24

Thanks everyone. Ended up making one out of wood.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Made ours from pvc to fit our bunks in our WhiteHawk 30 DSQB....they turn and go back under the mattress....length is whatever you want to make it.
This is a brilliant Idea with the PVC pipe
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #26

Please be careful with any home built item. You must be sure that the openings are not so large that they allow a child's head or body to slip through. Many a child has been strangled to death (or suffered brain damage) from slipping through. That is why cribs and railings must meet code. I read about one man who built bunk beds with his dad for his two year old, jus like the bunk bed his dad had built for him when he was little. The morning after his first night in it, they found him dead because he had slipped through. Very tragic! I think the picture on this thread made of PVC is not narrow enough to prevent this type of tragedy. I am sure you can search for the minimum gap for safety on the internet.
Camping Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Gator View Post
Please be careful with any home built item. You must be sure that the openings are not so large that they allow a child's head or body to slip through. Many a child has been strangled to death (or suffered brain damage) from slipping through. That is why cribs and railings must meet code. I read about one man who built bunk beds with his dad for his two year old, jus like the bunk bed his dad had built for him when he was little. The morning after his first night in it, they found him dead because he had slipped through. Very tragic! I think the picture on this thread made of PVC is not narrow enough to prevent this type of tragedy. I am sure you can search for the minimum gap for safety on the internet.
Since I'm the one who made those from PVC.....let me add....the youngest child that will be on those bunks is 8 years old so dimensions used in my particular set fits my needs....was not building for a two year old....my point in posting was to show material used....PVC comes in many sizes and can be cut and configured using elbows and any other connectors that might fit ones design....use a little common sense when building.

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #28

Since I'll be a new parent very soon, I've been researching it. For child safety, if you can fit a 12oz soda (or beer can between the slats, they're too far apart if you're using it for small children.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Since I'll be a new parent very soon, I've been researching it. For child safety, if you can fit a 12oz soda (or beer can between the slats, they're too far apart if you're using it for small children.
I have a 28BHBE; one reason we chose this layout was the slightly more enclosed style of the bunk beds (double over double). That said, my 5yo is allowed to sleep on the top bunk, but my 2.5yo has to sleep on the bottom bunk, and my 1.5yo is not allowed in either bunk - he gets a Kidco Peapod, which is a tent that folds up small and has its own self-inflating mattress. Next year he might be allowed on the bottom bunk with his middle brother, but we'll have to see.... he's naughty, that one
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #30

We used the Peapod that kodes mentioned for our youngest on the top bunk when he was smaller. It is a tent that zips and he was unable to unzip it to escape and potentially fall out. When he was really small we used a Graco Travel-lite Crib (a mini pack n play) which fit PERFECTLY where the table goes for the dinette. My older child then slept on the bottom bunk which was only open on the end so no worries about falling out. Now my 5 year old gets to sleep on the top, my husband made a ladder out of PVC which hooks to the bunkside, and the 2 year old is on the bottom. We don't really need railings as the bunks are open only on the ends and my 5 year old hasn't had a problem up there.
mule3781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
Thanks everyone. Ended up making one out of wood.
How do you get them in and out of there? Do you lift the child over? Our 2.5 year old is on the bottom bunk and a 9 month old in a playpen on the couch in our 281BHS. Same bunk style and I have thought of many different methods but nothing I am happy with yet.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
How do you get them in and out of there? Do you lift the child over? Our 2.5 year old is on the bottom bunk and a 9 month old in a playpen on the couch in our 281BHS. Same bunk style and I have thought of many different methods but nothing I am happy with yet.

Cheers
The one I made has slats and plywood that slide under the mattress after I place the kid in the bunk. His body weight on the plywood acts as a counter balance preventing the guard rail from tipping over or moving.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote