Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #1

Leaky Slide Valve on Eagle HT 23.5 RBS

It appears that I have a bad slide valve or seal. I believe that it is in the graywater system. Evert time I remove the travel cap on my sewer connection, I get about a half gallon of effluent coming out. The effluent is not blue dyed from the black tank chemical and it is actually quite clear.

I have three slide valve handles total. Graywater, blackwater and a Low Point Drain. The blackwater and Low Point Drain are next to each other and the graywater all of the way in front of the slide.

There appears to be three tanks, two grawater and one blackwater. I was unaware of the forward graywater valve until my kitchen sink backed up. I had been thing that the low point drain was the graywater valve, as each time I opened it, water drained out. The low point drain must serve the tank for the bathroom sink and shower.

Anyway, since I had not drained the forward tank for almost a year, the graywater in the front tank was pretty nasty, while the usual leakage was relatively clear and odorless. Therefore, I believe that my leak is the result of the low point drain.

What all does the low point drain control and how easy is it to replace the slide valve or gaskets? The unit is still under warranty, but the most convenient dealer is 125 miles away. Since I also have a paint problem, I may just have both fixed at the same time.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Of course I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the low point drains drained the fresh water tank and water lines. In my Eagle 266 RKS travel trailer, there are two in front of the axels (controlled by valves inside the bathroom vanity - one for hot and one for cold), and two behind the axels (controlled by water jug-style turn valves underneath the trailer). I believe the water you're getting from the low point drains is water left in your lines after you've disconnected from your "city water" connection. It's suppose to do that to clear the lines of water in preparation for winterizing. You can also open them and turn on the water pump to facilitate the FW tank draining/sanitizing process.

With 65 gal. grey water storage, you likely do have two grey water tanks: one forward for the kitchen sink, and one aft for the bathroom sink and shower. The black water tank, of course, only serves the toilet. With 48 gal. fresh water capacity, you may have only one fresh water tank; and one pair of low point drains. Someone with a 23.5 FW may be able to confirm whether you have one pair or two.

The grey and black water dump valves are always guillotine valves with "T" shaped handles, which are normally grey and black to designate their respective tank colors. Look for one black/two grey. They should be clearly marked on the side of your trailer.

Sounds to me like everything is operating as it should!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

I have a 23.5 as well and have three valves, one for black and two for the two grey water tanks. The low point drain on mine is behind the panel that sits beside the couch (in front of the tub area). I have noticed some grey water runs out when I come to dump but was thinking it is maybe just what was left in the line after my previous dump.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Leaking Slide Valve

I was thinking the same thing, but I have never had an RV that discharged so much water when I removed the cap. When I dump, I usually let it drain for some time to make sure I get as much graywater out as possible and the tank can't be that far from the common sewer hose connection.

I am going to put a bucket under the drain today and take the cap off and let is sit for a half hour or so. Then replace the cap and do the same tomorrow. I'll have to run a few gallons of water into the bathroom sink to add some head to the valve and see if it leaks.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote