Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #1

AC mod, would this work?

As has been discussed many times here, as well as other forums, is the issue of cooling the bunkhouse room of a TT with a large bunkhouse. My bunkhouse has a slide on both sides. When extended it makes for a very large room. Jayco saw fit to install only one vent. Many suggestions on cooling the area have been made. The best is the addition of a second AC unit. Cost at dealer around $2000. DIY cost probably around $1200. Hate to spend that kind of money. I recently asked a question here about cooling the area behind the fridge. This got me to researching that subject, both here and other forums. It also lead me to this idea, and I am curious if anyone has tried something similar, or if it would even work. Here it is. What if you were to take a 12 volt fan, such as this
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E20SSWQ/...WG2K6YSQ&psc=1
and place it under the vent/duct cover? Perhaps even on the outside of the vent/duct cover, or replace the cover with the fan? Would it pull and push more cool air into the area? You could run the wiring to the light near the vent. Would it attempt to pull too much air? Would the fact that air is already coming out make the fan useless or inoperable? Looking forward to any responses. TIA
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM   #2

Is this what you are trying to do?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...300W/203582700
Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobedoob View Post

Wow! Basically same idea! I don't think it would fit without alot of cutting of the ceiling though. Not real sure I want to go that far. Doesn't show amp draw or cfm either. Apparently though my idea should work. I guess I would just remove the vent cover and install a fan like I mentioned in its place. It is rated at 98 cfm. Thanks for the link!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Wow! Basically same idea! I don't think it would fit without alot of cutting of the ceiling though. Not real sure I want to go that far. Doesn't show amp draw or cfm either. Apparently though my idea should work. I guess I would just remove the vent cover and install a fan like I mentioned in its place. It is rated at 98 cfm. Thanks for the link!
Where are you planning to get power for this fan? Is there a light close? Is the fan 12V? Is the light 12V (I would assume it is, but you never know)?

I wonder if it will basically act like a bigger vent or multiple vents? It would be way cool if the screws were in the same layout as the damper and the fan would fit the opening! That would be wicked cool.

I'm intrigued by this idea...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Yes there is a 12 volt light nearby. If I had to I would simply run the wires on the ceiling and cover with some type of wire cover. Then tap into the light wire. I have found several more 12 volt fans for use in automotive applications. Some with over 100 cfm and ball bearing fans. A little more expensive. My TT is stored several hundred miles away, so I am not sure as to the size of the opening yet. Have to wait till I go back down, measure, then order fan, then install on next trip. Hopefully by Sept. or so, I can give it a whirl. My plan would be to replace the vent cover with the fan if possible. The cover would probably restrict the airflow. Then again, I may have to install to the back side of the vent cover, which I would the probably remove the fins from the cover. My hope is that it would suck more cold air down the duct, and push it out into the bunkhouse. For $20, I figure it is worth a shot!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

Did you consider adding another vent first? The ramp mod works well in getting air through the ducts better and if you close off one vent in the living area it might balance out the cool better for you on the short term. You could do this for under 20 bucks as a starting point.

I think the fan idea is a good one too, but may take some doing. Perhaps I would try it temp fist by removing the grill and taping in place to see if it increases your cooling ability there before you cut a large hole in the ceiling.

Look under 365 BHS mods to see the air conditioning vent mod I did on my last unit. It did make a difference back there by about 5 degrees.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #7

I am hoping not to cut any larger hole. I am not sure of the openings size, but my intentions are to find one that will fit what is already there. I tried closing the vent closest to the bunkhouse doorway. It helped, but moisture condensed on the ceiling by the closed vent. Oh ya, I would try a temporary install first before a permanent one. I am going to take a look at your mod as well. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Did you consider adding another vent first? The ramp mod works well in getting air through the ducts better and if you close off one vent in the living area it might balance out the cool better for you on the short term. You could do this for under 20 bucks as a starting point.

I think the fan idea is a good one too, but may take some doing. Perhaps I would try it temp fist by removing the grill and taping in place to see if it increases your cooling ability there before you cut a large hole in the ceiling.

Look under 365 BHS mods to see the air conditioning vent mod I did on my last unit. It did make a difference back there by about 5 degrees.

Searched for your thread, I couldn't find it. If you get a chance can you post it. Thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #9

Krackeer, here is an old link of it. I did finally seal it all up with aluminum foil duct tape then taped it in place sealing the duct work up. The chill grill will not work once you do this but the airflow will significantly increase to all the rear locations.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...?t=7196&page=2

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Thanks, I see I actually responded to that post! Guess I will giver a try before I try the fan idea. The pics really help!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Just a 12 inch fan on the floor blowing back to your bunk area would do wonders and is simple and cheap. And will work better than all the work to cut in a new vent.
rabalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #12

I carry two of these 10-inch O-2-COOL AC/DC fans from WALMART

These run from a 120VAC XFMR, 12VDC plug, or D-CELL Batteries...

These also work great for sitting behind the low profile OIL-FILLED heaters (AMAZON) we like to run as well in our trailer... Our trailer propane furnaces drives us nuts being so loud with the blower fan...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote