Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Found Electrical Problem

A 07 Jayco 288RLS.

Three weeks ago while on trip the Fuse panel started to give off smoke and odor like the magic smoke electrical parts make while failing.

We smelled the odor, but took a while to see the smoke coming out of the fuse panel.

We cut power and opened the fuse panel to find all five 120 AC circuit breakers were smoked and a wire showed melted cover several inches back from the breakers. At the same time we discovered that our unit had the Iota ILS panel/converter combined unit. This was the first time I pulled the panel out of the wall.

I put the trailer into the RV shop as soon as we got home. They tested and reported that the problem was loose connections that was causing the heat build up.

Now after 7 years of tightening just about every screw, bolt, and fixture on this unit I had never thought about going into the fuse panel and tightening the lock down screws on the wires.

So, I had the RV shop replace the Iota unit with a Inteli-power PD4045 unit with built in charge wizard.

I hope this report saves someone else from this problem.

Bob
4x4bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bob View Post
A 07 Jayco 288RLS.

Three weeks ago while on trip the Fuse panel started to give off smoke and odor like the magic smoke electrical parts make while failing.

We smelled the odor, but took a while to see the smoke coming out of the fuse panel.

We cut power and opened the fuse panel to find all five 120 AC circuit breakers were smoked and a wire showed melted cover several inches back from the breakers. At the same time we discovered that our unit had the Iota ILS panel/converter combined unit. This was the first time I pulled the panel out of the wall.

I put the trailer into the RV shop as soon as we got home. They tested and reported that the problem was loose connections that was causing the heat build up.

Now after 7 years of tightening just about every screw, bolt, and fixture on this unit I had never thought about going into the fuse panel and tightening the lock down screws on the wires.

So, I had the RV shop replace the Iota unit with a Inteli-power PD4045 unit with built in charge wizard.

I hope this report saves someone else from this problem.

Bob
I dont want to make you feel glum but that is the first place you should tighten.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Everyone should do the same in their home yearly. You can use an insulated screw driver and do it w/o turning off the power.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #4

On solid conductor wire you need to be careful that you don't shear the wire with the screw or clamp under the screw. But yes it needs to be tight.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

4X4bob,

Welcome to JOF

Good information to know, I'm sure very few JOF members and lurkers ever think about checking the breaker/fuse box connections for integrity.

Since this situation could be applied to any type of RV, we will move the thread over to the "Jayco Problems and Issues" forum for increased visibility.

Thanks for posting

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #6

That's one of the first things I did when I bought my TT, thanks to a post like yours, 4/4bob. Got me thinking to check the connections. It's been a few years, so I should probably re-tighten the connections again.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

Wow, in all the units I have owned I have never pulled that for checking screw tightness. After having just watched a Jayco technician try to get a fixed surge protection behind my unit and get it all back in place, I would never attempt to pull that out and check screw tightness. It will have to go back in to the dealer for that. He had no space left at all in there!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote