Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Question 365 BHS AC installed in bunkhouse area

Has anyone ever installed a 3rd ac unit in the vent hole to help the poorly routed ac system? The room is hotter than the outside at times during a trip it seems and I need to do something about it. I would really be interested to know if there is any electric there already or if I would have to do some interesting fishing for wires.

2011 F350, SRW, 4x4, CC, LB, Auto
2011 Jayco Eagle 365 BHS
2004 JayFlight 29BHS
2008 Regal 2700
Lakeland Florida
:lizard:
JC_RV_CRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

I have a 2012 365 BHS and although Jayco did improve the circulation to the rear bunk house, it's far from good. I know there's 12v power because mine has an overhead vent. However, I think the closest 110v service is in the wardrobe closet. Anxious to see if anyone has any ideas as I too would love to put a 3rd AC back there also.
Garyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

I find putting a vent cushion in helps keep the heat out. I also close the A/C vent in the rear bathroom so more goes to the bedroom (I think).

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #4

While I haven't been in the southern states with my unit yet. I only have one 15K unit and as listed in other threads here havea added a vent in the bunkhouse and did a fairly simple mod to the chill grill that helps the airflow. I did have my unit going here in the NE when the temps were in the high 90's for several days and humidity levels were above 95% and it was comfortable. The vent can get hot but I also have Maxx Air II's on all my vents which does make a difference in blocking heat.

As to your question there is no electric supply there. You will need to get through 3" of foam then fish down the wire through the bathroom wall where you can access a conduit run that runs up under the floor to the forward basement area. From there you will need to add a breaker somewhere and the one I would go with would be the washer one if not already in use. Before doing all this though I would check your total amp draw with all three units combined to see if your panel can take it. Maybe a smaller 10K or so unit would be in order.

Also look to some of the easier on your wallet mods that might make all the difference in the world as mentioned.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

I guess I should try the "diverter mod" first and see if that will help.
Garyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #6

What is the "diverter mod"?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

[ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
What is the "diverter mod"?
Attached are pictures of the "diverter mod". This mod will eliminate your quick cool dump vents on the chill grill. Air will only flow through your ducts to the outlets. I added an outlet in my bunk house which doubled the air supply volume to that room. After doing this mod construction debris started to fly out of the rear and forward vents which told me I did something right. Your current setup dumps air stright down at a plate and forces it out to the ducts rather than guide it to them. By guiding you are achieving more volume to the rear most vents and more efficient. I had my unit running 24/7 for 20 days in high humidity and hot temps without any freeze up or issues. The unit would run a lot but shut down a few times when it reached temp.

Of note I did fully enclose the ramp with metal tape and taped it into the opening before re-attaching the chill grill. All sides where foam was protruding I trimmed and taped over for smoother airflow. I then sealed it shut with the tape so all my airflow is now 100% ducted with no leaks or major turbulance.

It's a cheap fix to an inefficient system that does help. Adding a duct where you have more sq ft to cool will help too. They can always be closed.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #8

does this work with only one AC unit? Thought I read somewhere that this was only for a 2 AC unit's.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #9

I am very interested in trying this. Is there a thread already dealing with it? If not how do I go about making it? What is it made of etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #10

Headed down for a long weekend of camping tomorrow. Guess, I will pull the cover off and take a look. Who knows, I might actually figure it out myself!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Quote:
does this work with only one AC unit? Thought I read somewhere that this was only for a 2 AC unit's.
Sorry so delayed in responding. Currently and have been in SE Asia for the last 8 days with little down time. This works with ducted systems. The ramp is made from aluminum flashing and I also used metal duct tape to seal it up fully. You need to find the middle of the fan flow down and set the peak in the middle to direct the airflow to the front and rear ducts. I then taped it up in there fully and then put the cover back on. A 8" roll or about 4ft of flashing should do it for you. I would also add th rear duct to increase the airflow in the BH.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Mine is ducted to one in the front bedroom, 2 in the living area, one in the bathroom and one in the bunkhouse. I can't look now since TT is 300 miles away, but do I simply divert to the front and the back, or do I have to divert to each individual duct? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Mine is ducted to one in the front bedroom, 2 in the living area, one in the bathroom and one in the bunkhouse. I can't look now since TT is 300 miles away, but do I simply divert to the front and the back, or do I have to divert to each individual duct? Thanks for your help.
You will just want to split the air between the two duct feeds coming from the ac unit. Once you take off the cover you will see what I mean. Directing the airflow to the ducts as opposed to forcing it in there will increase the efficiency of the airflow. If you need to add a duct in a room you feel that needs more volume then do so. You can always close a duct in an area not being used to get more flow into the rooms you do need it.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 02-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #14

I have a 2010 365 BHS and I have tried everything to cool the backroom. I am installing a 3rd A/C in the bunkhouse. It wil not be vented and the cost is 1,000 dollars. I will have another 30 amp cord above my 50 amp cord. I will plug in to both 50 amp and 30 amp at the campsite. I think it is a expense fix for a poorly designed A/C from Jayco.
Camper 10
2010 365 BHS
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #15

3'senough -
I was curious about your diverter mod, too. I found the post here, but the pictures have disappeared. Are the pictures accessable elsewhere?

Thanks!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote