Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Water filter bypass tube size for Greyhawk

Does anyone know what size the tube is to bypass the water filter when winterizing on the Greyhawk?

Mine is a 2013 with the under sink filter. It did not come with the tube from the dealer and I was hoping to head to Home Depot tomorrow and pick something up that would work. Worst case I can try with the empty filter house and let it fill up but I could not get my pink stuff to "prime" the pump last year so I am wondering if this will help. I have tried all of the tricks in the winterizing thread after trying the steps in the manual. I even made a new draw tube to the jug to ensure no air leaks. Everything works fine with city fill and pump from tank when dry camping.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Most water lines are half inch on MH's based on what I've been told, but you will need to get the right connectors as well to be able to install the winterizing pipe.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

When you go to add the anti-freeze hold the jug as high as your hose will allow, that sometimes helps to prime the pump.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

What I have found out is "usually" when the pump will not prime, it is because there is air in the system somewhere. (Like did you drain the water heater, and forget to bypass it)? Or maybe did you forget to close the tube that siphons from the fresh water tank? Just sayin, I have not had any problems yet, in taking the filter out of the holder, then allowing the pink to fill up the holder.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #5

I had trouble with the pump not drawing anti-freeze and found that the draw hose ID was too large. I switched to a 3/8 hose ID and everthing worked fine. If you try this please reply if this corrected the problem.

This worked for me.
spkwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
WDW

I did not install a bypass Jose. A. Too much hassle where the filter is at and they did not supply one as stated in the manual. We just pumped in more fluid and will deal with it to flush it come spring!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

I see what you mean about the clear tube being tough to install and not worth it. Here is what I did this year and how I eventually got it to work:

I have on demand water heater so no bypass needed. I did turn it off before next step.
I took out the water filter under sink and emptied the filter. The water in my unit goes from the city water to filter under sink to pump.
Set the controls to 2-4 for winterized setting
I filled the hose with anti freeze (1/2 inch diameter) and put it in the jug.
Wide held the jug high and I turned on the water pump. I then turned on get hot on the outside shower.

It did not draw any antifreeze in.

To finally get it to work, I used the hand pump in the bottle technique with the wife continuing to pump at the bottle. We left the water pump on and went around to all fixtures and ran the hot and cold while she pumped to keep up the pressure going in the city inlet.

My thought is that I introduced air into the line per the other comments. With me emptying out the water filter housing, I believe I put air into the line before the pump. With us using the pump, we flush the air out of the line and force the pump to work.

Next year here is what I plan to try:

Set to 2-4 on panel and turn off water heater.
Take off filter housing and put bucket under it.
Hand pump antifreeze into system until pink comes out under sink.
Fill filter housing up with pink stuff and install.
Hook up hose to city inlet and fill 1/2 inch hose up with antifreeze and put in the bottle.
Turn on pump and hope it all works!

Thank you all for the replies.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

just did mine and had difficulty getting pump to prime. Solution was to use an "electric drill pump" to apply pressure to the system and then turn on pump. Yippee Skippy we had pink stuff flowing again. After the initial "help" pump worked fine. Drill pump was acquired for less than $10 and handy to have around the house.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
WDW

As for the whole topic on priming the pump, I took a liquid laundry soap container and removed the top by cutting the large opening but leaving the handle. I went to Lowes and got a barbed PVC fitting with the backside having a screw and to which I pushed it through and put a round fitting on the other side. Then through the magic of gorilla glue sealed the whole thing on the opening. I can attach a short piece of hose to that fill it with fluids whether it's bleach to sanitize or winterizing fluid hold it up by turn the pump on and everyone is reasonably happy. Just call me Mcgrayhawkgiver....

Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

So after you pressurize the system with the drill pump, do you remove it and then put the tube into the jug? Or do you just leave it in line and the pink stuff flows through it using the RV pump?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Fishstick8 - after i got the juice flowing with the aid of the drill pump i shut down both pumps and removed the drill pump from the equation - started the water pump and away we went... pink stuff all the places it should be.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #12

My filter cannister is in basement removed it and filter attached 5/8 clear hose section(8 wraps of electrical tape to make it snug held thumb on end of clear hose turned pump on and opened hot valve till felt suction on my thumb put hose in jug away you go...this took care of what was an air lock not leak. make sure to hand pump pink in black tank flush. If your filter is under sink you still have pipe distance from city fill to sink to contend with
thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #13

The hot valve I opened was outdoor shower so iit was a one man job
Old 10-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #14

Related question. Winterizing and water filters. My '12 Greyhawk 3100 has the water filter behind a panel in the rear storage compartment. Do any of you remove the water filter when winterizing, then put it back (or replace it) in the spring? Or do you leave the water filter in the RV all winter. My dealer recommends taking the filter out for the winter.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
WDW

Take the filter out.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #16

Take it out probably couldn't flush the pink out of it in the spring. Actually since we are supposed to replace it annually I'm not so sure now..lol
Old 10-29-2014, 05:20 AM   #17

The water filter on my 08 GH31ss was under the kitchen sink, and I removed it and now use a filter at the facet on the supply hose. Much easier to change out when needed.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote