Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Greyhawk 31DS Slide Motor Location

Recently we had a controller for the rear bedroom slide malfunction and we've replaced the controller. FYI, $300 including shipping for the dang thing! In the event, we have to manually extend or retract the slides, can anyone tell me the location of the slide motors on the Greyhawk. I've looked at the diagram but have been unsuccessful. I'm sure no one will believe that it was not covered in our pre-delivery walk through. And we newbies didn't think to ask. I contacted our dealer and their first question was, "refer to your manual". After I blew a gasket, I said, I'll get back to you and hung up.

I'd appreciate any help here!!

Thanks in advance!!

Kettrell
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Not sure if you have the same style (2012 Greyhawk 31DS), mine has two tracks (upper and lower) on both sides of the slide with a never ending S type gear insert pattern in the tracks. I have not located the motors but can only assume they are actually in the wall and would require removal of the slide to access. I am guessing the controllers are the black boxes mounted under the bed with the inverter and the other bed of wires.
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

Hey Troy,

Yeah the slide controllers are the black boxes under the bed as you mentioned. But that's not the motor that actually extends or retracts the slides. There is a motor and I did see the diagram in our manuals that indicates "a motor". The diagram infers that it is accessible from under the coach. But I haven't located either the front or bedroom slide motor yet. I plan to look again later this week.

We were fortunate that the slide issue we had recently occurred before we extended the slide and created only a minor inconvenience. I just don't want to be in a pedicament where the slides are extended, we're ready to break camp and head home and have an issue where we can't retract the slide. To me that would be a "fun-sucker" to any otherwise great trip!

Oh and BTW, I'm usually a very laid back person and don't let issues ruffle my feathers. But when the Jayco Service Desk Guy I was on the phone with who was probably about 14, stood me down that the slide controllers were the motors and, "sir refer to your manual" I tripped my happy, easy going, laidback breaker!

Kettrell
Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #4

Look in the compartments located under your sliding sections or wheel wells.. I believe their is a panel you need to remove to access them. I have not done this and I own an FS so yours are gonna be in a diffferent place. It is on my list to locate and see what will be needed to manually retract them... Post info or pic once you find them.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #5

Did you contact Jayco directly? I will have to start looking for mine. I just made the assumption that the motors were installed in the wall based on how the tracks were and that there wasn't anything under the slide as far as a bar or anything. Will definitely take a good look when I head over to the storage place to check up on the Greyhawk.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

I just read the Manual for the Greyhawk...Not much to offer, other than "locate and remove access panel for slideout motor".
I need to find mine and ensure I have a socket on board to operate it if needed..
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

TX, that's the exact wording in my manual as well. I will take a closer look later in the week. I appreciate ALL you guys help. If we ever get around the campfire together, the cold beverages are on me!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #8

warranty

We have a 2012 31DS--never thought to look for the motors. Just one more thing to worry about.

Why wasn't the part covered under warranty? Is the coach more than two years old?
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #9

Why wasn't the part covered under warranty? Is the coach more than two years old?[/QUOTE]

Pocono1, I have all expectation that it is and could have been covered under warranty. Our MH isn't more than 2 years old. But my situation dictated that I go ahead and handle it myself. The day I diagnosed the problem we were expecting temps to bottom out in the low 20's that night. My top priority was to get the MH back in storage where it would have been protected from the elements. Had I carried it to the closests dealer would have meant a 1.5 hr drive (1 way), plus they would have winterized it due to the cold and there was no guarantee when we'd get it back. We didn't anticipate the cost of the controller to be $300, but I would have spent more than that getting it to the dealer and winterizing. Plus changing out the controller is a simple task that I can do in minutes.

I'm realizing that RV ownership is a continual learning opportunity and we absolutely Love It! I hadn't given much thought about the slide motors until one of them didn't operate.

Just learn what you can, prepare yourself and try to plan for the "What If's"

I'm getting ready to go crawl under mine in search of those "slide motors". Once located and what tool is needed to manually operate'em, I'll post pictures and info.

Enjoy your coach
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #10

Kave & Lucky--I know the feeling about the dealer. I have no complaints with our dealer but they are close to 4 hours away from our home. There is a CW closer but somehow I am not sure that I would be comfortable leaving the coach with them. We're going to try and visit some from friends in Chicagoland in the spring and stop at the Jayco factory along the way fo them to handle some minor annoyances.

Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #11

BTW--do you know where the water filter goes in the 31DS. My filter was in the kitchen draw and I cannot figure out where to connect it.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Kettrell

I sent an email to Jayco asking where mine were located. Our slides on the 2012 Greyhawk 31DS are infact wall mounted. They sent me the manufactures book, I was surprised that it was not the manufacture listed in the Jayco's owners manual. I have not had a chance to email them back asking why what was sent is different then listed in the Manual. If you send me a PM with your email I can send you the pdf files Jayco sent me. They are two large to attach here.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #13

As far as the water filter goes, from what I found out, have not looked yet, it is in the big pass through compartment behind the section where all the water/winterizeing input and controls are. You have to remove 6 screws from the back panel and the panel comes out. I have not looked yet, every time i think about it, I look at all the stuff I have to pull out from the compartment to get to it. I just use a two filter rig (sediment and activated charcol), attached it to the inside wall in the storage area, drilled two 3/4 inch holes through the thin metal/plywood spacer between the water compartment and storage compartment, run my hoses that way and filter all the water coming in. I will take pictures when I go check on the RV on Monday and post.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #14

Well folks I crawled under the MH yesterday but was unsuccessful at locating the slide motors. I did find out why my fresh water indicators continually gave inaccurate readings. A wire to a sensor had been pinched into. I was able to fix that so the excursion wasn't a total loss.

I wake up to find Troy's post;

"Kettrell

I sent an email to Jayco asking where mine were located. Our slides on the 2012 Greyhawk 31DS are infact wall mounted. They sent me the manufactures book, I was surprised that it was not the manufacture listed in the Jayco's owners manual. I have not had a chance to email them back asking why what was sent is different then listed in the Manual. If you send me a PM with your email I can send you the pdf files Jayco sent me. They are two large to attach here."

Troy, I will PM you with my email address. Thank you in advance!

Just one more note on this subject: We will purchase an additional controller in order to have a spare just in case. In the meantime, I have discovered that these 2 controllers are interchangable so if one malfunctions you can disconnect the other one and connect it to the other wire harness in order to operate the slides.

Happy Camping Everybody!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #15

Since the information in the owners manual was different then what Jayco sent me I asked why it was different and this was the reply.

The 31DS Grey Hawk motor home is the only Grey Hawk that has the Schwintek slide system. All the other Grey Hawk models have the Power Gear slide system.

Thank you,

Vinh Le
Jayco, Inc.
Motorized Warranty
Phone: 800-283-8267
Fax: 866-709-9139
Email: service@jayco.com

So I guess we are special.

Troy
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #16

Thank you Troy for the followup but I gotta say it. It blows my mind that Jayco knowingly sends out a coach with a particular product and send the owners manual with different instructions. I could rationalize it better if they had recently made a change in the product and someone didn't get the memo to change the owners manual information!

Thank you again!