Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Exclamation Wiring Warning - Inverters with LOAD SUPPORT

Just recently I was reading a thread that revolved around protecting against brown out conditions as well as protection from surges or high voltage. This perked my curiosity with regard to the Hybrid technology with my recent inverter/charger mod install of the Magnum Energy MSH3012-M which protects against low voltage situations because it has "load support" to supplement from the battery bank when the shore voltage is low. The shore power setting on the inverter/charger, allows you to program a set point as to when battery power will kick in to support the load. This setting is actually in amps. I had mine set at 30 amps, meaning any drop below 30 amps coming in on the shore line would be automatically "supported", as the inverter would draw power off of my battery bank and load support deficiency from the shore line. You can see this happen live on the control panel when it occurs.

This happened for us just last month...., We stayed at an older RV Park in the town of East Glacier Montana, just outside of Glacier National Park. The power pedestals only had 20 amp plugs and they were older. We hooked up and when I went inside I glanced at the control panel and it was displaying my load support and the amount of amperage it was supported. That was a cool feeling for me to see my new mod actually working. Bottom line is the load support feature of the Hybrid Magnum Energy will act as protection against brown outs. It does NOT however protect at all against surges or spikes. Magnum Energy tech support advised to use either the TCI Surge Guard or the Progressive Industries EMS (Energy Management System).

MAGNUM ENERGY INSTALLATION CAUTION: I've made a big error on my install and I want to make sure I warn everyone. I used 10/2 wiring, same romex Jayco uses throughout the TT. The Magnum Energy technician wrote back to me after I had sent him a picture of my install and told me that if I did not replace the wiring from the inverter back to load panel with 6 AWG wiring I would not have 60 amp over protection and risk melting my wiring and have a potential fire hazard! The load support feature, shore + battery, could potentially exceed the 30 amp rating of the 10/2. Shame on me for not following the install instructions. I had 60+ feet of left over 10/2 from another project, consulted with a friend that does electrical and he did not know about the load support feature or why the inverter manufacturer would recommend 6AWG when 10AWG is all you need for 30 amp. I now have to modify my mod. PLEASE BE CAREFUL I can adjust my setting high to 60 amp before load support and effectively turn off the load support feature for now until I correct my error.

Long explanation to say, FOLLOW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!

Your welcome to view the install pics if you like. You'll see the 10/2 I used. The tech did tell me that contrary to the install instructions, I was good on using the 10/2 from the shore power to the inverter, but the added protection of the #6AWG was required between the inverter and the load panel. My installation pics:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=529

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote