Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1

Maiden voyage, hitch question....

Just took our new 2013 Jayco Swift SLX 184BH on its maiden voyage, and everything went perfectly. I did notice though our Jayco rode a little nose high. From my own personal research, I've read it's better to ride a tad low rather than high. I should add.... we were not fully loaded down, as my tow vehicle was carrying very little in the way of cargo.

Maybe I'm being overly concerned, but the dealer told me that it was set up perfect.... but it being nose high gives me pause. I should add, it did tow perfectly.

I've attached a picture. Any thoughts, advice or opinions welcomed. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0517.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

Nose high is not a good condition. Obviously level is the ideal and you should try to get it so. If you can't get perfectly level a little nose down is preferable.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #3

I wouldn't be concern w/that unless you have a steep driveway or
some other such where the rear end of the trailer may drag backing in.

Dealership married up our 184bh and truck level, but we have a hump in our driveway and the wife said the rear end of the trailer,bumper, was close to
dragging as I backed in. We have an unusual approach to our driveway off a
steep hill.

Your package looks nice.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Nose high is not a good condition. Obviously level is the ideal and you should try to get it so. If you can't get perfectly level a little nose down is preferable.

agree, nose down preferred to nose up, but his doesn't look too radical.
level is best for certain.
LBL 1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

I agree that it's not too radical and if I had a couple hundred pounds in the truck bed & our two kids, perhaps it would be even a bit lower..... and I'm guessing that's what the dealer was thinking.

I'm still interested in what others think as well.....

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

I should add, I can't lower the ball down any further.... I would need a longer/lower weight distribution shank....
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, towing the TT level (ideal) or a "little" nose down is recommended. The TT even in a little nose up can become worse should the TV/TT experience less than ideal towing conditions such as high winds, and/or poor road conditions creating a bounce. Nose high TT's can under some conditions initiate a sway event.

If you can't move the ball mount lower on the draw bar, can you gain some drop by turning the draw bar over 180 degrees? If this doesn't work then a new draw bar may be in-order (if normal "loaded" TV/TT towing conditions require).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by velorandy View Post
I should add, I can't lower the ball down any further.... I would need a longer/lower weight distribution shank....
Get the proper shank if you plan on towing far &/or often.
Previous RV's: '03 MobileScout Titan 29DBS; '01 Sunnybrook Lite 2708 SLE; '99 Coleman Utah
Previous TV's: '02 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 4.10; '99 Chevy Express 1500 5.7
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Nose high can indeed cause sway problems - I speak from experience. I believe some of the major hitch manufacturers, like Reese and Valley, make ball mount bars of different heights, in increments of 1 inch. I would recommend you try to find one of these that will provide the proper drop to get you level.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

The trailer does need to be level, even if it means getting a different stinger for your hitch. Also, you are using a trunnion bar WD system. Those type bars when properly adjusted should point slightly downward, not parallel to the ground or pointing downward. When you get the trailer leveled, that's going to change the amount of weight transfered to the front axle, so that needs to be readjusted anyway, but it's not right the way it's currently set up. The dealer was wrong. Most of them are when it comes to adjusting WD hitches. They move things around until it "looks good" and send it out the door. It takes more time to set one up than they are willing to put into it.

It's hard to tell from the small photo, but it looks like you're using a Reese hitch and the hitch bar can be flipped the other way if needed fo adjustment.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
It's hard to tell from the small photo, but it looks like you're using a Reese hitch and the hitch bar can be flipped the other way if needed fo adjustment.
I'm actually using Camco 48051 Eaz-Lift Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Bent Bar 600 Lb max vert wt / 10,000 max gross wt.

See pic attached....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0515.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

our 184 hitched to our ford 150 rides a little high, just about like yours velorandy. ours was also set up by the dealer. it also concerned me at the walk thru but we were told the set up was fine. it does sit nearly level if the tv is fully loaded. these tt are very low to begin with as they are designed to fit into a standard size garage, this may have something to do with it. so far, after several outings we have not noticed any problems towing the tt......happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #13

Was your TT loaded for camping when the dealer set up the w/d system? If not it may be level when empty but nose high when loaded. If that is the case then you may need to shift some items to the front of the TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
Was your TT loaded for camping when the dealer set up the w/d system? If not it may be level when empty but nose high when loaded. If that is the case then you may need to shift some items to the front of the TT.
My tow vehicle and trailer were both pretty much void of any extra weight at time of dealer set up.

This weekend we used it, but we were pretty much minimalist for such a short trip.... so not much of a load in the TT or TV.

The picture attached to my first post was taken on the way home today, and the trailer maybe had 50 pounds of personal gear inside and 2-3 gallons water.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #15

My advise is to learn how to adjust your hitch yourself. Get the proper tools if needed. The manufacturer should have documentation and or videos showing the proper installation and adjustment. Take your time and read documentation a few times until you have a complete understanding of what is the proper setup. Also call the manufacturer if you have any questions and concerns. I personnaly would not rely soley on a dealers advise especially when it involves my family's safety. I have been misinformed numerous times in regards to product information and not just in the TT business.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
My advise is to learn how to adjust your hitch yourself.
I completely agree Smoothy. Last night I downloaded all the PDF's from the manufacturers web site, and feel confident in setting up my TV/TT properly. As my RV dealer is over 25 miles away, I may just opt to buy the correct shank (instead of asking for an exchange) and be done with it.

Although I had a good sales experience with my RV salesperson, I must say I wasn't impressed with my TV/TT set up experience..... I felt as I was being rushed out the door by the service department as closing time was nearing.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #17

I had a similar experience where they setup my hitch, although I saw that it was nose up. After having a really bad experience hauling it one time, I called the dealer up and ordered a new (longer) shank. Once I installed that, reset my WD bars I can now pull my camper safely. In fact we are now in St Louis MO which was a 462 mile pull one way.
When I re-read my instructions for the WD hitch, the key thing that I found is when it stated that your hitch height should not be higher when connected to the TV. That step was one of the first things that they wanted you to do before even messing with the WD bars.

2000 10' popup
2000 30' with triple bunks.
2011 25BHS
2016 34RSBS
Type-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #18

I always go for as level as possible when hauling any trailer
skidoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #19

Dealer is making it right and ordering the correct hitch shank. I will be making sure its right though with all of my newly acquired research.

Thank you all for your comments, observations & opinions.