Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray5476 View Post
We are looking to upgrade our 5th wheel for retirement. Looking very seiously at the Pinnacle. Would appreciate any comments about this camper from owners. Thank you.
We have a 2012 Pinnacle, 31 RLTS. This one is big enough to live in for a few months at a time (have done the 3-month thing in Mesa, AZ), but still small enough to take on those 3-day camping weekends. Also, we pull it with a F250 6.7L diesel… would not pull anything larger than the 31 with a 3/4 ton. Reason: These Pinnacles have a high pin weight, due to the large closet in front, king-side bed, etc. Watch your GVWR requirements!

Also, the extra high ceiling ( "Pinnacle") makes these feel more spacious than most 5th wheelers…but, beware: That extra ceiling height means less clearance outside… this one has both a/c units… need 13'4" clearance at the front (assuming truck/5th wheel is perfectly level!). Have held my breath sometimes… going under old 13'8" bridges, etc… Also, if plan to store it in a RV garage.. need at least a 14' door. Also, extra height on these Pinnacles can give some intriguing times on the road in higher wind conditions… yet, they still pull well.

Overall, though, these are high quality, comfortable 5th wheelers. Like my corporate traveler son-in-law said, first time he saw it: "Wow, just like the best hotel rooms!" We really are enjoying ours… no regrets.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #22

Pick my new 2015 Pinnacle 36REQS up on Thursday, looking forward to spending the first night in it on the road home

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #23

We purchased a 2013 Pinnacle 36 REQS in April 2014 and transitioned to it as full-timers. We are now nearly at the four month mark. We have never felt crowded in and have had the best summer of our lives. We love the layout, features and the BIG windows. The natural light is what we wanted and what we received. Being stuck in it on a rainy weekend is no big thing! All problems have been minor. This 5ver has been through some Michigan weather worthy of remark; 78 mile per hour winds, rain that can only be described as a deluge, 90 degree days and 40 degree nights. After selling/trashing/donating everything we owned we asked each other what was missed and the truth is: nothing is missed. The bottom line is our kids watched their inheritance drive away! Life truly is made of memories, not material possessions. Thanks Jayco!
fjmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray5476 View Post
We are looking to upgrade our 5th wheel for retirement. Looking very seiously at the Pinnacle. Would appreciate any comments about this camper from owners. Thank you.

Considerations:
1. Taller profile on a Pinnacle than many 5th wheel trailers… 13'4" with front ac unit (at least on our 2012 31 RLTS). Watch those old railroad bridges (some as low as 13'8")…and, need a 14' foot shed door, rafters, if plan to store inside.
2. Heavy pin weight… 2300-2400 pounds is common for these. Need air bags on a 3/4 ton (and, be careful to not push the limits on GVWR too farm, although you have some range here). For these Pinnacles, the 1-ton is better, even a "dually", but, then, have the problem "what do you drive to the mall after you unhook". Air suspension on a 3/4 ton has the advantage of "deflate the air bags to 10-pounds after you unhook" and you have your "car" back, to drive to the mall.
3. Overall, great quality… they call it the "Pinnacle" for more reasons than the fact it is taller! The "tall" profile gives the illusion of it being much larger inside than it really is… great feeling, surround by high quality materials, appliances, etc.

Have no regrets, but these are points you probably need to consider.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #25

1. Taller profile on a Pinnacle than many 5th wheel trailers… 13'4" with front ac unit (at least on our 2012 31 RLTS). Watch those old railroad bridges (some as low as 13'8")…and, need a 14' foot shed door, rafters, if plan to store inside.
2. Heavy pin weight… 2300-2400 pounds is common for these. Need air bags on a 3/4 ton (and, be careful to not push the limits on GVWR too far, although you have some flexibility here). For these Pinnacles, the 1-ton is better, even a "dually", but, then, have the problem "what do you drive to the mall after you unhook". Air suspension on a 3/4 ton has the advantage of "deflate the air bags to 10-pounds after you unhook" and you have your "car" back, to drive to the mall.
3. Overall, great quality… they call it the "Pinnacle" for more reasons than the fact it is taller! The "tall" profile gives the illusion of it being much larger inside than it really is… great feeling, surrounded by high quality materials, appliances, etc.

Have no regrets, but these are points you probably need to consider.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #26

We are out about 10 months of the year and our Pinnacle is the perfect home for us.

With that when we are disconnected there is no issue going to the mall or anywhere else for that matter.

Should be a non-issue.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #27

Grumpy,

Heard anything on your 38FLSA order? Mine has been scary quiet, I don't think it will be delivered as promised.
Fitter48093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #28

It's at the dealer. It came in on the 15th, but we don't pick it up until November since we are on a trip. Our problem was the truck, as of today it has not yet arrived. We know it was built on the 15th and is currently awaiting transportation. We did see our FW since we drove to the dealer last Tuesday to look at it. Everything looked good, fit and finish was great.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #29

That's great to hear. I think the premium paint is the hold up on our unit. What kind of truck did you go with?
Fitter48093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #30

I just bought a Chev 2500 HD LT 8'bed 4wd Duramax. It has a 10,000 GVW and is rated to tow 17,200.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #31

That is a lot of trailer for a 2500HD
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:00 AM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
That is an is a lot of trailer for a 2500HD
with a 3000 lb dry pin weight and 2915 lb payload it will be close
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
That is a lot of trailer for a 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
with a 3000 lb dry pin weight and 2915 lb payload it will be close
I discussed all that with the Chevy dealer and they said no problem. Also I have two friends pulling Toy Haulers with pins 600+ lbs higher and a weight close to a 1,000 more and they said it handles and tows fine. They have a 2013 that were rated lower than the 2015.

So I guess time will tell.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #34

One thing I have learned is a salesperson trying to sell something will usually tell you what you want to hear!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
One thing I have learned is a salesperson trying to sell something will usually tell you what you want to hear!
Not in this case, since they knew I was willing to buy a 3500 if I had to. I was buying either way. Same dealer and sales manager I've bought from for the last 22 years.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #36

I have a 2013 2500 GMC 4x4 that I have been contemplating adding air bags or helper springs. I tow a 2014 361REQS. I am leaning towards the SuperSprings. The spring has no effect on the ride until you add a heavy load. They have the same weight ratings as air bags but you don't have to fool with adding or releasing air. This might be an option if you get more sag than you like,
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

I ran air bags with manual inflation the first year I had this old rig then last year I added the compressor. It's sure nice to have a switch and a gauge inside now.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #38

You can 'bag' it all you want but I never even considered a 250 SRW for pulling our rig safely.

Don't be fooled by those saying it's fine with a 250 because that's what they have. If they could do it over they would have a 1 ton DRW.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #39
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
You can 'bag' it all you want but I never even considered a 250 SRW for pulling our rig safely.

Don't be fooled by those saying it's fine with a 250 because that's what they have. If they could do it over they would have a 1 ton DRW.
I didn't say anything I have or do is fine for anyone else. Do what you want. I have a friend from Carson City that pulls his fiver with F-550, says it works great. No foolin'
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #40

Looking at Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101vet View Post
I ran air bags with manual inflation the first year I had this old rig then last year I added the compressor. It's sure nice to have a switch and a gauge inside now.

Same here run air bags with wireless compressor installed myself it was really a easy install . Put them on a DRW F-350 long box . I ran the intake for the compressor in behind the rear seat that way it doesn't pull moisture into the valve and bags
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote