Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Question Dish tailgater - two televisions

Trying to decide if we want to purchase a Dish tailgater and receiver bundle. Best buy, amazon, Walmart all sell for same price. Doesn't sound like we would be able to get both sets LR and bedroom to work off the satellite. We don't watch much tv in bedroom, but would like to be able to wake to news and weather. Anyone done this with the dish tailgater and 211k receiver that comes in bundle?
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Do you bring a laptop, iphone, ipad or similar device when camping? If so, do you have wifi or cell access when camping?

If your answer is yes then I'll give you you might want to look into a slingbox instead. I'll give you more details if you need it.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #3

I don't have DISH, but DIRECT. Having seen the back of the 211 it can be done very easily. You just use the ant connections, but you have to remember to turn the reciever off if you want to watch off air stations. What you are basically doing is putting the receiver in series with your off air ant, you may also need a regular ant splitter for the out-put.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #4

I have dish but not the tailgater. I purchased a different auto tracking dish with the 211 receiver. I used the splitter that my Jayco already had and just moved some of the connections around to get everything to work outside/bedroom and living area. If you PM me i can email you a copy of the drawing.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

I didn't see how to PM you on this site but I would love to have a copy of the drawing to make the satellite work on all outlets. Can you send it to my e-mail? hogrider58@gmail.com

Thanks,
Dennis
dennisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

We bought the tailgater bundle with the 211 receiver mid summer last year. It works great when it works. Forget it if you are in the middle of trees. I also have to call Dish just about every time we are camping so they can reactivate the receiver after it has been inactive for a couple of weeks. Works on both front and bedroom tv, but you have to watch the same program on both.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #7

We wound up with the 222k, pretty easy to hook up the LR and Bedroom cables to it, now we can watch different channels on each TV.
Since we fulltime it is nice to be able to watch different channels since me and my DW do not always agree on channels.
The ability to watch different channels on each TV with one receiver was one reason we went with Dish.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Fla View Post
We wound up with the 222k, pretty easy to hook up the LR and Bedroom cables to it, now we can watch different channels on each TV.
Since we fulltime it is nice to be able to watch different channels since me and my DW do not always agree on channels.
The ability to watch different channels on each TV with one receiver was one reason we went with Dish.
How do you change channels on the bedroom TV without a receiver? I'm trying to figure out what to get for mine.
TimPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donellen30 View Post
Trying to decide if we want to purchase a Dish tailgater and receiver bundle. Best buy, amazon, Walmart all sell for same price. Doesn't sound like we would be able to get both sets LR and bedroom to work off the satellite. We don't watch much tv in bedroom, but would like to be able to wake to news and weather. Anyone done this with the dish tailgater and 211k receiver that comes in bundle?
Easy...the Tailgater supports ONE receiver hence 1 TV.

What one needs to watch 2 TV's is 2 receivers and the portable antenna that does that for DISH is the Winegard Pathway X2.

We have the Tailgater but the wife likes to watch TV in the bedroom at night so guess what we will be doing.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #10

Main purpose of the tailgater is "auto" signal tuning. Just set it per instructions and connect the coax. You'll have sat tv in minutes w/o hassle of aiming and adjusting settings on a tripod mounted dish.

I use a tripod mounted 1004 HD turbo dish that will support multi receivers. It is not that much of a hassle to set up but there is more involved than using the tailgater. You can equip yourself with a tripod mounted dish for about $150.

I will likely purchase a tailgater to be used exclusively when we are overniting or only going to stay in location for 2 or 3 days. Otherwise I'll set up the tripod.

The tailgater will grab a signal if it is available. the signal will be blocked or too weak if you are in heavy cover or trees. They don't see thru buildings or other solid objects. No magic, just auto tuning. Want 2 tvs with ability to select different channels, you'll need a tripod mounted dish
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #11

Pathway X2 for DISH.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Adding 2nd Tv

I have a Tailgater and have a second Tv connected to it. You will be viewing the same program on both Tv's. I added a second Tv to the bunkhouse. I ran a coax cable from the bunkhouse location to the media center.

I connected the HDMI output from the satellite receiver to the media center Tv and connected the COAX cable from the bunkhouse Tv to the COAX cable connection on the back of the satellite receiver. Then just go to the Tv options and select HDMI as the signal input, and click auto program stations. Remember to turn off your Antenna Signal amp when using the Tailgater.

If you need to add a 2nd remote control for the unit, and there is a wall in between your satellite receiver and your remote controller, you can purchase a RF signal extender. It converts the remote controller IR (Infrared) signal to an RF (Radio frequency) signal and back again for the satellite receiver to see.

Don

IR to RF signal Extender example (so you can use the Satellite REMOTE in the bedroom)
http://www.amazon.com/X10-Powermid-P...e+extender+kit
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #13

I ran the coax from the Tailgater into our bedroom and have component running to that TV, then ran HDMI to living area TV. I did buy an HDMI powered splitter but it did not work, that's why the component. At our winter quarters we receive many air channels so one TV can be on Dish and another on air.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #14

This is why I use a dual-tuner dish receiver in my Pinnacle with a Dish 1000 antenna with a multi-dish switch on a stand outside. It is definitely more difficult to set up, but this way I can watch HDTV via HDMI in the living room and then use an RF cord out of the 2nd output on the receiver. I send it through the coaches wiring and it's hooked up to the TV in the bedroom, where I use the second UHF remote. Now we can watch separate shows on each TV and even record a third. I've considered getting a Tailgater, but losing this functionality keeps me from going that route. I am jealous when my brother sets out his tailgater and he is up and running almost immediately though...
Linejudgemick is offline   Reply With Quote