Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

The Long Weekend - Gray Tank

Ok, I'm posting this in the Hybrid forum as we all have "small tanks", no pun intended (or maybe it is, not sure), so I'm assuming we are all in the same boat here.

I always try to get a "full hookup site", not because I fill the black tank on a long weekend, but because we fill the gray tank so fast. How do you all handle gray water usage? I mean, I guess we could conserve more, not wash dishes, use the CG showers, etc...but we aren't boondocking...we want to use the water in the camper...that's why we bought it, right? Who's with me???

There are so many great campgrounds that don't even have full hook up sites...what do people do in this case?

What do you all do?
  • Just conserve water and use GC facilities?
  • Have a portable waste tank that you haul off to the dumpsite?
  • Pay for a service from the GC to come empty it?

Thanks
Bikester
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

We use option 1 and use the water sparingly. We have no problems using CG facilities. We came from a pop-up with no water tank at all, so to us it's not a big deal if the fresh water runs out, or the gray/black tanks fill up. We just go to plan B at that point.... It's more a luxury actually, that we can work around if needed.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #3

...And 100% of our camping has been without full hook ups.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

We use minimal water in the trailer...pretty much flushing, brushing and dishwashing. I only have to empty the gray tank if we camp more than 3 or 4 days and I have a 25 gallon tote tank for the job.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

We use a portable tank just for the gray and pull it to the dumps station. I like my showers and don't use CG facilities. Even when we tent camped I brought a port-a-potty and a shower tent to house it..lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

we have a dish pan we place in the sink when we do dishes and when we are finished we dump it in the black tank for additional liquids in it. only two of us so even in a week we never fill the black tank. we also do dishes outside a lot which also helps. we also have a sunshower and enclosure and use that when we can to save on the water and gray tank.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

I have asked this question on the forum as well. After using our TT several times I have come to a foregone conclusion and acceptance. I purchased a portable tank...

Here is my reasoning. There are 4 of us, and as much as I try, I have a very hard time getting my two kids to take a navy shower.. Also we got very tired of having to make shortcuts everytime we wanted to use water. That is why I purchased the TT in the first place, comfort.. So.. I broke down and purchased a large portable tank and now don't have to worry about my gray tank filling up anymore..

Also as many of you here already know, the fill indicators hardly ever work and if they do they are usually wrong. This takes all of my worries away wondering if the tank is full or not.. I simply make my Saturday evening dump to the portable and knowing what our average water usage is I no longer have to worry...

On a regular Friday - Sunday trip, I can empty the tank on a late Saturday afternoon and we don't have to make any adjustments to our water/drainage usage anymore..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

We bought a portable tank to drain and pull behind truck to the dump station. Our new camper has 87 gallon grey capacity to no longer an issue.
2014 Dodge Ram 2500, Diesel

TEBechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #9

We use the campground showers. In my opinion most RV showers weren't meant for heavy use. Heck, on the 17Z the spigot and valves are mounted on the wood veneered side of the sink vanity, protected only by the crudely cut Jayco supplied shower curtain.

For dish washing I use two plastic dish tubs which makes it easier to monitor water usage. If the campground has a dedicated dish washing sink, (not a bathroom sink!) I will sometimes use my two dish tubs and wash them there. Why? Mainly because it can be done much faster there and secondly to minimize gray water output.

At 30.5 gallons the gray tank in the 17Z has always been more than adequate for our needs. On the last trip of 5 nights with my wife, son and daughter on board, I actually wound up purposely adding several gallons to the gray tank the last night just to aid in flushing the dump hose.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBechtold View Post
We bought a portable tank to drain and pull behind truck to the dump station. Our new camper has 87 gallon grey capacity to no longer an issue.
You will be eating your words if you have women with you. They can fill up any size grey tank!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #11

This is helpful...I don't think the 5 of us can conserve enough to make it worthwhile, and we bought the camper to have the convenience. Sounds like I'm in the market for a portable tank
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #12

We have a 30 gal onboard grey tank and a 30 gal portable grey i dump it daily sometimes ,my dw wont use the campground facilities plus she is constantly filling the tank wash hands , shower ,cleaning so i check it each day and keep it emptied
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #13

So I may be looking for a portable tank as well, but what about fresh water. I seemed to be running low this weekend right about the same time my grey tank was showing full. any thoughts
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
So I may be looking for a portable tank as well, but what about fresh water. I seemed to be running low this weekend right about the same time my grey tank was showing full. any thoughts
Camping World carries a 34? gallon bladder for fresh water. Otherwise, I have a couple Reliance blue jugs I fill and dump in everyday if needed. Others have built fresh water storage tanks for their trucks. And depending on the campground you can make a hose clamp adapter for a regular hose and temporarily hook it up to various pressurized water spigots to fill tank.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #15

#1 buy a plastic folding table and wash dishes outside at the outdoor sink. Easily save a couple gallons per wash.
#2 brush teeth outside or turn off water while brushing. My nephew leaves the water running when he brushes his teeth... I don't get it.
#3 learn the art of a "camp shower". Your shower head has an on/off switch on it. Get the water the right temp, wet yourself down and turn off the water at the shower head. Lather up, turn water back on and rinse off. You would be amazed at how much water you can conserve this way... several gallons per person per day.

It adds up quickly.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 AM   #16

I have a Therford portable tank, it saves the day.

Been a camper since I was a kid, and that was a long time ago :)
From pup tents with no floors, to tents with floors and flies, to a pop up, to the expandable.
chuckworkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #17

It seems there are a couple of differing points of view on water useage/conserving.

I'm on the side of using what I paid good money for. If I want to use the shower or wash dishes in the sink, I know I have that option. It is after all what we paid extra for...

So I have a 4-wheel Thetford smart tote, and it works out well. When I'm not using it, I store it in the TT.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #18

So far I have not had an issue using the CG showers, wife uses both, I don't fit all that well in the MH shower and I like longer showers than what the MH provides. LOL.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Site Team

Portable tote tank.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #20

I have the 19xud-it has 15g grey and 9g black. The Thetford 27 gallon takes it all. Dishes done at water source-I have a two way with an extra 8 foot hose and sprayer. Just did four nights and made only one Thetford trip to dump station
Jayh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, hookups, sewer