Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #1

bedroom tv doesn't run off 12v

Hi all,
I had a question about the bedroom tv in my 31UL. It doesn't run off my 12v system like the living room tv does. Only off shore power or the generator. I just called Jayco and was told the bedroom tv isn't hooked to the inverter and the living room tv is. Does this make sense to anyone? I'm no engineer but I wouldn't have designed it this way. Thoughts?
Chuck
chuckandcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Very annoying, I agree. I wired my TV to the inverter to solve the problem.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckandcindy View Post
Hi all,
I had a question about the bedroom tv in my 31UL. It doesn't run off my 12v system like the living room tv does. Only off shore power or the generator. I just called Jayco and was told the bedroom tv isn't hooked to the inverter and the living room tv is. Does this make sense to anyone? I'm no engineer but I wouldn't have designed it this way. Thoughts?
Chuck
It doesn't on any of the GREYHAWKS either. You probably only have one house battery and possibly a 1,000 watt inverter (it use to be 400 watt but I think that one was discontinued). One battery would not last very long under the load of 2 TV's.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #4

Maybe you can find where the front TV is plugged into the 120VAC receptacle that runs off your inverter and run a second extension cord from there back to the bedroom and plug that TV into it???

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #5

I have 2 house batteries and a 400 watt inverter. Good suggestions. Thanks.
Chuck
Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 AM   #6

Ok so the bedroom tv isn't hooked to the inverter. Whatever. How about this question. Does anyone know if there is a way the disassociate the front room t.v. from the ignition so it can be used off 12v while driving on the road? I understand the safety issue which is probably why it is set up this way but the only alternative is to run it off the generator and I haven't even tried that to see if it works while driving.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Ok so the bedroom tv isn't hooked to the inverter. Whatever. How about this question. Does anyone know if there is a way the disassociate the front room t.v. from the ignition so it can be used off 12v while driving on the road? I understand the safety issue which is probably why it is set up this way but the only alternative is to run it off the generator and I haven't even tried that to see if it works while driving.
Discussed mucho times. See post #10 in particular.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11021 and no it will not run off of the geny without this modificiation.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Maybe you can find where the front TV is plugged into the 120VAC receptacle that runs off your inverter and run a second extension cord from there back to the bedroom and plug that TV into it???

Roy Ken
This was our solution to the problem of having the inverter wired to the living room tv outlet only. it works for us. And I see Grumpy chimed in on the fix for disconnecting the tv wire to the ignition.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

Ok so I'm learning more about my 31UL daily both from your posts(thank you) and also from just playing around in it and finding out how things work. I discovered another oddity today. The in dash radio/DVD player acts as a master volume control for the front room and bedroom TVs when playing a dvd. The radio volume must be turned up in order for the movies to be heard on the television. This is fine for the front tv but if you want to watch a movie in the bedroom and someone is in the front room they have to listen to the movie as well because the sound comes through the ceiling mounted speakers. Please tell me I'm missing something here.
Chuck
Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
The radio volume must be turned up in order for the movies to be heard on the television. This is fine for the front tv but if you want to watch a movie in the bedroom and someone is in the front room they have to listen to the movie as well because the sound comes through the ceiling mounted speakers. Please tell me I'm missing something here.
Chuck
We installed a stand-alone dvd player in the bedroom hooked-up through the HDMI input. That allows us to use both inputs. Couldn't find any other solution.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote