Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #1

Jayco vs Starcraft

I know that Jayco and Starcraft are under the same corporate umbrella, offer the same 2 year warranty, and are very similar, but what are the real differences?
We presently own a Jayco Swift 264BH and we love it, but now we're thinking about moving up to something a little larger. Both companies offer good floor plans, and we're really having a tough time making a decision. Both also have local dealers. We have never owned a TT with slides before, and we're a little nervous about maintenance problems or failures with them.
We're considering either a Jay Flight or Starcraft Autumn Ridge in the 30' - 32' range.
Any advise from the forum would be greatly appreciated.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
PawPaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #2

I believe the only real differences are colors, names, and floor plans. Workmanship and quality is identical. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either. With regards to slides, I understand your concern. I had the same feeling about mechanical failure before I bought mine but realize slide technology has been around for quite a while now. It is very solid and reliable these days. Rarely will you run across someone who has had a problem. Jayco/Starcraft also uses some on the best slide mechanisms in the industry. Much better than my old Keystone had. Good luck!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #3

I cannot speak for all models of starcraft but our starcraft had an option or two not available on the comparable jayco and also had a few more features. quality seems to be the same so far.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

My slide has been in and out about 75-100 times and never a problem. It's a 2010 Hybrid and the slide moves out 36".
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

We had a 26BH which is about the same trailer you have. Got it to see how we liked camping. (We had given up tent camping about 25 years ago because of other activities and because the bugs were taking a serious bite out of us!)

The 26BH gave us a chance to determine what we needed in a floor plan, which for us was a bedroom separated from the living area by the bath. This allows DW to watch TV in the bedroom while I can read in peace and quiet in the living room. When we bought the 26BH we though it would be nice to have bunks for grand kids, but we rarely have them so we went with a floor plan more suitable for couple.

Current trailer has a 36" slide and it is amazing how much more room that a slide will give you. We are a couple with a large dog and an occasional grand child aboard. Took the chair out of the street side rear so his crate will stand up on end in that area while traveling.

We worried about the extra weight and problems with a slide. So far no problem with the slide and we have a more robust truck for more weight.

You should have no problem with you truck with a heavier trailer.

Hope this helps! Go with the best floor plan for you and hopefully a good dealer near you as well.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

When we were TT shopping there was a certain floorplan we wanted. Once I priced the Starcraft and added the options we wanted it was similarly priced to the the Jayco model, which had those options as standard.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Thanks for the input everyone. Guess it will come down to a coin toss, lol

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #8

At the time I looked , in 2009, Starcraft had a 1 year warranty and Jayce had a 2 year warranty.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote