Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #1

Towing 184bh - to baja or not to baja...

Hey guys I'm new to travel trailers (haven't bought it yet). We're looking at the 184bh and potentially getting the baja edition that gives you more ground clearance, stabilizers, more water etc. The only thing that has me second guessing is the added height of of the baja version. From what I can tell it looks to be about 8" taller than the normal 184bh.

I'm wondering if this will be a noticeable difference when towing. Will it kill gas mileage or blow around a lot more? I'm using a 2014 4runner. It is rated to 5000#. The GVWR of the trailer is 3500#. Any insight from those who have some experience towing these would be great!
heine19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Sounds like good match-up to me. 1,500lbs is a decent spread for occupants and gear. Keep in mind if you'll be camping off the grid....generators, extra fuel / water and batteries can eat up payload and capacity quick.

My TT was just under 3000# loaded and I kept the tongue weight at 300#. I purchased the Reese Ultralight 350/3500 for WDH and anti-sway and it worked well.... The Reese 350/3500 would be marginal for your purposes. The 184 can be tongue heavy with the most of the storage in front of the axle. If you upgrade the batteries and propane tank you'll have to be creative to keep under 500# at the tongue.

Your gas mileage will suffer mostly from pulling the extra weight...but yes, wind resistance is a factor. Figure your mileage to be cut up to 50% towing at near capacity

Good luck with your decision
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #3

Hmm - maybe its cutting it a little close on the tongue weight. I'd be open to the 154 baja as well. It might give me a little more breathing room and be a little easier to maneuver into tighter camp spots.
heine19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Remember 3500# is the 184BH Gross Vehicle Weight Rating....that means maximum load out with all your supplies and gear!....Even then, your still 1500# below your 4Runners Max Towing capacity.....even with all occupants and extra gear in the tow vehicle you should still be comfortably under capacities.

To give you and idea of how our weights worked out...

The delivered weight of our 154BH was @ 2,550#...our standard camping gear, bolt-ons and add-on mods were @300#... and we would take about 75# of clothes, food and personal gear....bikes (when taken) were another 60#.... = 3000# (+/-)

If we would have traveled with a full load of water, generator, extra batteries - we would have been a bit over the 154BH GVWR of 3200#
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

My first trailer was a Baja and I miss things about it. I pulled it with a Dodge Durango and had no issues. We used the ATV deck for 1000w Gen , coolers and Firewood. I also added a second batt. This left plenty of room in the TV for me my wife and dogs. The trailer followed the TV track so it was easy to get into places off the beaten path.

You should be fine.
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote