Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 AM   #1

Door problem

I've only had my 2002 Eagle Summit a few months, so I'm still getting used to things. Every time I've put it up (about 6) I've had problems getting the door in position. I have to crank the top up much tighter than I feel comfortable with. Every time I think I'm going to break the cable. But, if I don't do that the door won't fold all the way down and latch into place. Any suggestions?
RandDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #2

Not sure how your set up is, but on my pu I had, I would raise the roof, (Not a party pun ha ha) I would bring the door frame into place and then open the door to latch it.
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

is it just to get the door into place?

Do you need to lower the roof after the door is attached?

If you leave the roof where it is after the door is in place then it is what it is. Just keep doing as you do.

If you lower the roof some after the door is in place there may be a better way to attach it that you should figure out. Definitely over cranking the roof is not a good thing. But from what it sounds like it is normal.

My Flagstaff pup had a cord(clothesline basically) that was attached to the body and roof and you raised the roof until it was taught.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

Just a thought...Do you level before you raise the roof? When we had a PU, we would level before raising the roof. How level the trailer is will affect the door's alignment and performance.
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I also would measure each post when the roof is in place (body-roof) to see if they are all the same.

maybe the road side is higher and you are stretching them to get the curb side high enough. They should all be the same
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

I have the same model and it took me a few tries to really understand the best way to set up the door.

What I do now is raise the roof to the height I want, go in and lower the door, then go outside. With the lower door closed, I position the upper part over the lower, get the pegs line up at the bottom. At this point you can see if the trailer is level front to back by observing the top part of the bottom compared to the bottom part of the top... level as necessary. Once that's done, I stand on the step and slip my hands inside the canvas at the metal plate at the top of the door.. I then gently pull the plate forward so it slides over the locks. It should pop into place easily, if not, make sure you don't have any curtains behind the plate, or canvas between the plate and door frame. If it's still too tight, raise the roof a skosh.. 1/8 turn increments. If it pops into place really easy, you can lower the roof a bit.

The roof height is correct when the upper door channel overlaps the bottom door by some, but not too much.