Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #1

Second battery Eagle HT

I have a new 2022 Jayco eagle HT BHDS. It cane with one deep cycle battery (Interstate SRM-27) but I was understanding that it is pre wired for a second battery.

So I purchased a second battery (almost identical to the one that came with the trailer) at Costco.

I went to install it but I want to be sure I’m doing it right. All the videos I see talk about connecting in parallel…. But it appears I can just hook it up in this second compartment.

There’s a copper and a silver. Which is positive?

I’ve attached 3 photos. One shows the set up. Bottom battery is connected. Top battery is the new one. Second photo is a close up of the second battery compartment. And the last shows a close up for the connection.
Attached Thumbnails
D0639839-33A2-4816-8872-45C31198BA91.jpg   B233632A-408A-40A3-BD17-72D8445A8980.jpg   928475F0-6E56-420B-941B-5FCBDF711CA4.jpg  
Legopammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:52 AM   #2

STOP! You don't want to connect it to the posts in the upper compartment you show. That is a breaker for the positive cable and shouldn't be messed with. You should have gotten another set of black and red battery cables in your bag with the owner's manual. Add your second battery beside the current one in the bottom compartment where your existing battery is. You should be disconnected from shore power as there is a charging voltage coming to the batteries before doing any of this.

Attach the extra set of cables in parallel to the new battery and existing battery (negative to negative and positive to positive). Disconnect the black (-) cable coming from the RV from the existing battery and attach to the new battery (-) terminal.

Be very careful when you are moving the cables on the + terminals that your metal wrench does not contact the metal on the RV as that is ground (-) and you will get a big spark! I recommend detaching the negative cables from the battery while you attach the new positive (red) cable to prevent this.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #3

I removed the shelf then put them side-by-side.

I installed an 2nd battery and then a 3rd battery because I learned they are only 30AH each... that resulted in total of 90AH - which I could only use 45AH before damaging them. The three were also very heavy and I needed to replace water monthly... no way I could get to the filler holes with that shelf there.
When we take our next trip, I'm replacing all three with a cheap single LifePO4 100AH lithium and I can use the entire 100AH plus it weighs about 25 lbs and I can reinstall the shelf. This is what I recommend.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones211 View Post
STOP! You don't want to connect it to the posts in the upper compartment you show. That is a breaker for the positive cable and shouldn't be messed with. You should have gotten another set of black and red battery cables in your bag with the owner's manual. Add your second battery beside the current one in the bottom compartment where your existing battery is. You should be disconnected from shore power as there is a charging voltage coming to the batteries before doing any of this.

Attach the extra set of cables in parallel to the new battery and existing battery (negative to negative and positive to positive). Disconnect the black (-) cable coming from the RV from the existing battery and attach to the new battery (-) terminal.

Be very careful when you are moving the cables on the + terminals that your metal wrench does not contact the metal on the RV as that is ground (-) and you will get a big spark! I recommend detaching the negative cables from the battery while you attach the new positive (red) cable to prevent this.
Bjones-
Thank you! I definitely felt a huge question mark which is why I stopped and posted the question. I’ve actually had the new battery for over a week looking at how to connect it. Very glad I asked!
Legopammy is offline   Reply With Quote